The Student Room Group

is Access To higher Worth learning?

Hi all,

I have been offered to do an Access to Higher Business course instead of BTEC level 3 Business too because my GCSE's not good enough for BTEC.

Anyway, I am not really planning to go to university but I can reconsider it for some reason.

What I would like to ask is, is Access course worth to do if not going to univ at all?

Is it acceptable and desirable for an employer? or apprenticeship?

Does the Access certificate itself values anything good or worth it?

In advance, thanks for the help
Original post by Hadal
Hi all,

I have been offered to do an Access to Higher Business course instead of BTEC level 3 Business too because my GCSE's not good enough for BTEC.

Anyway, I am not really planning to go to university but I can reconsider it for some reason.

What I would like to ask is, is Access course worth to do if not going to univ at all?

How old are you and what were your gcse?
I would have thought btec might suit someone better than access because access is v intensive and only a year.
Access is really for getting into uni.
BTEC is more standalone.

Work out what you want to do first. Dont discount taking a pre access course consisting of 2-5 gcse. That might open up btec for you if your grades are good enough.
Reply 2
24 years old, only 2 GCSE (maths, english)

I would love to do btec too but if I am unable to do it this year due to my gcse then doing access first better then just going pre-gcse course right?.
I think I can do gcse alongside access too so having two qualifications better and open more door for my next step.

Original post by 999tigger
How old are you and what were your gcse?
I would have thought btec might suit someone better than access because access is v intensive and only a year.
Access is really for getting into uni.
BTEC is more standalone.

Work out what you want to do first. Dont discount taking a pre access course consisting of 2-5 gcse. That might open up btec for you if your grades are good enough.
Reply 3
fyi moved to Mature Students :wink:
Hi there @Hadal

I did an Access to HE course so I could apply for university. I had/still have zero A-Levels, so for me the course which lasts a single academic year was the best and quickest method of entry to uni. If university and a degree is your goal, then an Access course is perfect. Otherwise, B-TEC's may be the better option, and as has been mentioned, a more stand alone qualification for you if you are not considering university.

Fi :horse:
Original post by Hadal
Hi all,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending