The Student Room Group

I have no UCAS points, will any universities accept me?

I've made plenty of stupid decisions in regard to my education, and the worst was not taking it seriously. The only GCSEs I have are English La and Maths. I have a Level 2 Certificate after attending college last year, but I had to leave, so I don't study there anymore. Those are all of my qualifications. I'm not studying A-Levels, BTECs, or anything universities say they accept, I'm earning a level 3 diploma in Adult Care via an online course.

I never intended to go to university so I never prepared for it but that's changed very recently. Let's assume I do get my care diploma. Would any universities accept me for that alone?

On a side note, would any universities let me take a creative writing course despite my lack of relevant qualifications? Would skill be enough?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Would a Level 3 diploma in Adult Care not give you some sort of UCAS points? You could try taking an Access to Higher Education course online and they'd give you enough UCAS points depending on how well you do. Even if you just barely pass, you'd still have enough to do a foundation year at certain Universities.

Are you considered a mature student (21+) as their entry requirements for foundation years are a lot more lax. Integrated foundation years are basically a year 0. If they're integrated, they're covered by student loans. Some Universities may let you enter a creative writing course based on a portfolio, but you're more likely to need your Level 3 diploma.
Reply 2
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
You can find out how much your qualification will be worth in terms of UCAS points there. Should be worth something as level 3 qualifications are supposed to be equivalent to A Level. Whether universities make tarriff point based offers or accept your qualification is something you'll need to query with the universities you're interested in applying to. If they don't Access to HE diploma would be a good idea, that diploma is accepted by many universities, and you can take out a loan or if you qualify get a grant to cover the costs of an access course.
Reply 3
As above, you need an academic Level 3 qualification.
The most appropriate is probably a 1-year Access to HE course - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)
Reply 4
Original post by james310
Would a Level 3 diploma in Adult Care not give you some sort of UCAS points? You could try taking an Access to Higher Education course online and they'd give you enough UCAS points depending on how well you do. Even if you just barely pass, you'd still have enough to do a foundation year at certain Universities.

Are you considered a mature student (21+) as their entry requirements for foundation years are a lot more lax. Integrated foundation years are basically a year 0. If they're integrated, they're covered by student loans. Some Universities may let you enter a creative writing course based on a portfolio, but you're more likely to need your Level 3 diploma.

Thank you for the advice. I'll see which courses are available, my only concern now is that im being pressured to start university this year but I'm not sure that's possible. And im not a mature student.
Reply 5
Original post by ROTL94 4
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
You can find out how much your qualification will be worth in terms of UCAS points there. Should be worth something as level 3 qualifications are supposed to be equivalent to A Level. Whether universities make tarriff point based offers or accept your qualification is something you'll need to query with the universities you're interested in applying to. If they don't Access to HE diploma would be a good idea, that diploma is accepted by many universities, and you can take out a loan or if you qualify get a grant to cover the costs of an access course.

Thank you so much, I'll explore my options
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
As above, you need an academic Level 3 qualification.
The most appropriate is probably a 1-year Access to HE course - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)

I'll look into it, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending