The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MidnightSymphony
Hi! Thought it'd be worth making this thread as I'm deffo applying to Swansea myself for chemistry.

Few questions- share as much or as little as you're comfortable with:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

@Puddles the Monkey

Also, for all the other unis you wanna apply to, this links to the main thread, where you can find links to all the other university applicant chats (should they exist):
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033194

Good luck this year, guys!

Waste of time UNI
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi. I'm a first year at Swansea. I have 3 flatmates doing engineering, one is aerospace and the others are mechanical. The engineering department here is amazing and brand new since bay campus has only been open a few years. The facilities on bay are amazing and we have the most beautiful library. There's an open day this Saturday so why don't you come and visit and get a feel for the place?

Hi thanks for replying, I think I will come to an open day. Could I ask hows the city and nightlife? I feel like Swansea isnt well known and there isnt a lot to do.
Original post by harris358
Hi thanks for replying, I think I will come to an open day. Could I ask hows the city and nightlife? I feel like Swansea isnt well known and there isnt a lot to do.

The city is quite small which is nice as you don’t get the massive crowds that you get in other cities. The nightlife is really good. All the nightclubs are on wine street so that’s the place to go. There are also student nights on a Monday and Wednesday when you can get cheap drinks and venue access at multiple places. Monday to Saturday there is a 24hour bus service to the uni campuses via the city centre so your unlikely to get stuck and have to walk. When it’s nice weather it’s great to go for a walk along the beach and in the summer you’ll be able to make use of bay Campus’ private beach. There are loads of socials during the term running so your bound to find something that is up your street.
If you get the student term pass you can travel on the X10 to Cardiff to expand on your nights out and shopping explorations. And because your in Wales you can get a 3rd off all bus travel.
Also, university accommodation is yours for the year, so theirs no need to pack up at Christmas and Easter!
The university has this great system in place for library books. Just find the book you want online and request it to the library that’s most convenient for you, so there’s no need to trek to one of the universities 4 libraries.
At Christmas Swansea gets a winterwonderland with loads of funfair stalls and even a Ferris wheel. There is a market open 6 days a week where you can get some amazing food and there are plenty of restaurants and cafes to choose from. There are also a good amount of job opportunities for part-time work if you need it and off campus accommodation is much more affordable than other cities.
I’d really suggest coming to have a look this Saturday as it’s best to see the place in person and get a feel for life here.
Reply 63
CONGRATULATIONS! Swansea university has a brilliant computer science department, and my flat mates absolutely love this course! I hope you do too! There's an open day on Saturday, so why don't you come over and visit and get to know Swansea a little better?!

I live in Singapore, so it's a bit far ;/

I'm seriously so excited though, I think about Swansea basically all day.
Reply 64
CONGRATULATIONS! Swansea university has a brilliant computer science department, and my flat mates absolutely love this course! I hope you do too! There's an open day on Saturday, so why don't you come over and visit and get to know Swansea a little better?!

That's so, so wonderful to hear. I picked Swansea because of the amount of funding they seem to be putting into their course, as well as the new building on the Bay Campus. Computer science and engineering seems to be a real focus which was so nice to see as a prospective applicant. Do Swansea do "offer holder" days or should I just come down to the regular open day?
Original post by yaszenn
That's so, so wonderful to hear. I picked Swansea because of the amount of funding they seem to be putting into their course, as well as the new building on the Bay Campus. Computer science and engineering seems to be a real focus which was so nice to see as a prospective applicant. Do Swansea do "offer holder" days or should I just come down to the regular open day?

I’m not sure if they do offer holder days. I came to Swansea through adjustment and clearing. So I went to a post results open days. The open days are suitable for offer holders, and you’ll be able to speak to the staff and students here and really get a feel for the place. You’ll also be able to snoop around some accommodation to help you decide what to apply for if your planning on living in halls.
Original post by IWTJOMB
I got an offer yesterday for English Literature, but not sure about it after I originally applied for English & French

Congratulations, are you pleased? That quite a difference I suppose!
Reply 67
Original post by Student Roost - Swansea
Congratulations, are you pleased? That quite a difference I suppose!

I declined the offer, as much as I love English by itself, I applied for a Joint Degree so I cancelled my open day and put Cardiff as my Firm instead
Cardiff is a great city and place to study. I'm sure you will like it there :-)
Got a conditional offer for Msc Business analytics.
Got an offer from Swansea for Business Management (Tourism) with a year abroad, however I'm still considering Cardiff Metropolian University (with course: International Tourism Management). How do you think? Which of those two universities is better? still can't decide..
Hey I'm starting in September 2020 doing History :smile:
Haha, I’m worried now. It’s been almost a month and no offer yet.
Original post by Anonymous

I had to wait 3 months for one of my offers last year. Don’t worry, it doesn’t mean your a definite no. Unis always have a massive pile of applications on the January deadline, so they are probably just working through the backlog.
I had to wait 3 months for one of my offers last year. Don’t worry, it doesn’t mean your a definite no. Unis always have a massive pile of applications on the January deadline, so they are probably just working through the backlog.

uff, good to know that. Thank you! 💓

I hope so cause Swansea is my first choice.

Thank you

Same, I have gotten answers from all my other choices except Swansea, I hear ppl have interviews and all, so now I’m kinda stressed 🥴
Same, I have gotten answers from all my other choices except Swansea, I hear ppl have interviews and all, so now I’m kinda stressed 🥴

you mean an interview to every course? or only to chosen one like art etc.
Reply 78
Original post by Aliciaaaa
Hiya, I've applied for the same course! Have you had your interview yet? how did it go?
I've got mine in three days... do you have any tips for the day?

Heya, I had an interview 3 weeks ago for this course! Have you heard anything back yet?

Hey, I just got the offer by 5:22pm from Swansea. I’m thrilled! :smile:

Let me know how yours go

Quick Reply

Latest