The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MoonRaker
I'm currently trying to decide which LPC's to go for, I've got a training contract with a medium/ small London firm and preferably want to do my LPC in London, which LPC would be best? I like the sound of BPP, Westminster and the College of Law, would any of these reject me if I didn't put them as my first choice? Help!

Westminster is a horredous uni, now way could you get rejected even with DDD i bet. 30% or so of there students are from UCAS clearing, so they can't be oversubscribed can they!
Saagar
Westminster is a horredous uni, now way could you get rejected even with DDD i bet. 30% or so of there students are from UCAS clearing, so they can't be oversubscribed can they!

Ummm I don't think you realise this but the LPC is something different to the LLB. Therefore your comment about Westminster goes out of the window.

I believe the so called best LPC provider is NTU or the College of Law.
Reply 3
PM me with the name of your firm (hey, I'm curious :wink:) and your grades and I'll tell you probability of getting into each place.
Reply 4
NDGAARONDI
Ummm I don't think you realise this but the LPC is something different to the LLB. Therefore your comment about Westminster goes out of the window.

I believe the so called best LPC provider is NTU or the College of Law.

BPP in London is probably one of the best LPC providers - I am not saying this just because I am there! The notes and handouts are fabulous!! But you may get a bit irritated by the overwhelming number of people there from the top City firms, because it is one of the consortium firms. Soon, they will be the ONLY LPC provider for five of the top firms. At that point, it will seriously get uncomfortable for people who not at leading City firms.
lawgrad
But you may get a bit irritated by the overwhelming number of people there from the top City firms, because it is one of the consortium firms. Soon, they will be the ONLY LPC provider for five of the top firms. At that point, it will seriously get uncomfortable for people who not at leading City firms.

That's something to consider. No idea if anything like this happens with the BVC. And in any event how can you judge which providers are best? j/w
Reply 6
NDGAARONDI
That's something to consider. No idea if anything like this happens with the BVC. And in any event how can you judge which providers are best? j/w

To my knowledge, many of the strongest BVC candidates (I define 'the strongest' to mean those with first class degrees, scholarship winners from Inns and people who have secured pupillages with the leading chambers) come to BPP.

We generally judge the providers based on the Law Society ratings (Excellent, Very Good, etc) AND again, the perception of City law firms. (Can't run away from that one - employability is what it's all about at the end of the day!) :-)
lawgrad
To my knowledge, many of the strongest BVC candidates (I define 'the strongest' to mean those with first class degrees, scholarship winners from Inns and people who have secured pupillages with the leading chambers) come to BPP.

Are there ways to find this out? I'm probably asking a silly question but I'm not at university yet so I need to take one step at a time.

lawgrad
We generally judge the providers based on the Law Society ratings (Excellent, Very Good, etc) AND again, the perception of City law firms. (Can't run away from that one - employability is what it's all about at the end of the day!) :-)

I knew BPP was a good provider but as usual you have many sources, and one I came across said that for the majority of people it didn't where they took the LPC.
Reply 8
NDGAARONDI
Are there ways to find this out? I'm probably asking a silly question but I'm not at university yet so I need to take one step at a time.

It's not a silly question at all - you will come to learn that questions are rarely silly. :-) You are at an important stage in your life and you need all the information and help you can get. Unfortunately, knowing about which law schools do the strongest BVC candidates attend, is something you will only know through interaction within legal circles. These things are not generally published. Put it this way - only at BPP, will you constantly hear of BVC students who have secured pupillages at Matrix, Blackstones, 4 Essex Court, Brick Court, etc.

NDGAARONDI
I knew BPP was a good provider but as usual you have many sources, and one I came across said that for the majority of people it didn't where they took the LPC.

I agree: it doesn't really matter where you take the LPC. However, many leading City firms compel their future trainees to take the LPC at certain schools like BPP, Nottingham or Oxford. Since they recruit you at the beginning of your final year (i.e. before you apply for law school), they can tell you where to apply. And you are NOT likely to disobey them since they are paying for it! :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending