The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't really know.

Of my subjects, I suppose that'd be Classical Civilisation, but that's not too much of a challenge. No, my challenge is handing work in on time because I am so bloody lazy.

To be honest, this thread is kinda hard to answer, because I know Hell will freeze over before I can get an A Level in Maths or Physics, so I couldn't begin to answer properly. Just as my sciencey friends couldn't cope with an English A Level. The all rounders have a better chance of answering, but even then they don't do every A Level offered.

Blah, ramble.
Reply 2
For me it's ICT, it's not that hard content but the coursework is huge plus the teaching is practically non-exsistant.
Reply 3
History by an absolute mile! Its probably equally as respected as English Lit and Maths (my other two A2 subjects) but it requires so much more work than both of these put together! I've heard that Chemistry and History are joint worst when considering workload, I would definitely think against doing both!
Reply 4
gotta b maths (no offence other subjects!) dam hard at the mo i sit in daze of numbers and greek letters!
Reply 5
Got to be my textile course/ AS Art. Compared to my A levels I have done so many more hours of work even though my BTEC equals three A levels. Currently I don't have a social life due to the amount of hours I spend on drawing. :frown:
Reply 6
Ummmm well German is harder in terms of i'm not a natural linguist whereas science-related subs i just kick in.... but I hate Chemistry with a passion - so just going to the lessons @ all is an effort!!! :tongue:
I'd say from my A levels History is the most demanding,because of the huge workload.
Geography i think is definetly the most demanding for me but it is interesting so that doees kinda make up for it. So much research (case studies)
Reply 9
LittleMissShine
I'd say from my A levels History is the most demanding,because of the huge workload.

In my opinion there isn't a huge workload in history. If you are finding there is, your approach to the subject is all wrong.

In history all you need to know is key analysis e.g. "How far had a welfare state been created in Britain by 1951?"

You dont need to know every detail from the beginning of the century, only the few significant ones (closer to the date), and discuss whether a welfare state had really been created.

I found by the time my exams came around, on every topic I knew a few key points which proved to be very effective.

In all honesty out of all my A-Levels History was the one I spent the least time on because quite simply I knew how to approach it!

It hurts when people exaggerate on the amount of work involved. Its just not the case.
Reply 10
i think maths is the most demanding... ( i think all mine (bio, chem, maths ancient greek) are the same difficultness, but thats cos i chose ones which i was the same goodness at) its just that for maths, last year, i only leant stuff for the first term, for the other 2 i was just doing past paper after past paper ... its strange now that i have to get me head around new stuff ! - i think that kinda makes sense !
sukh_b
In my opinion there isn't a huge workload in history. If you are finding there is, your approach to the subject is all wrong.

In history all you need to know is key analysis e.g. "How far had a welfare state been created in Britain by 1951?"

You dont need to know every detail from the beginning of the century, only the few significant ones (closer to the date), and discuss whether a welfare state had really been created.

I found by the time my exams came around, on every topic I knew a few key points which proved to be very effective.

In all honesty out of all my A-Levels History was the one I spent the least time on because quite simply I knew how to approach it!

It hurts when people exaggerate on the amount of work involved. Its just not the case.

I don't think im approaching it the wrong way,because If I was I would not have got an A for my progress grade.Plus I forgot to mention I'm covering two modules in the time it would usually take to do one,as Im doing two history exams in January.
Reply 12
LittleMissShine
I don't think im approaching it the wrong way,because If I was I would not have got an A for my progress grade.Plus I forgot to mention I'm covering two modules in the time it would usually take to do one,as Im doing two history exams in January.

Maybe not the wrong way (in your opinion), but the long-winded way (in my opinion).

There is more than one way to skin a cat, but the method you seem to be using is the messier one. Trust me by the time it gets to june you're gonna want to streamline revision, and my way of thinking would be of great benefit to you. How many exams have you got in Jan? 4/5 maybe 6 maximum. Remember in June your likely to have at least 6.

But then again its whatever works for you, im only trying to advise as i've done my A-Levels, got an A in A2 history (555/600), and i may sound arrogant but that is a very high score,and its not a progress grade (whatever that is). For me Maths was a priority cos i needed an A to get into uni.So History took a backseat to a large extent.
Reply 13
I've heard that Chemistry and History are joint worst when considering workload, I would definitely think against doing both!

Damn...

Anyway, I find Maths the hardest, by far. Its impossible to blag. Mainly because my natural ability is more subjects like English and History (yes I really should be doing more humanities.. but I want to be a vet)
I think I'd struggle the most with languages though.. also unblaggable (like Maths) but also theres the pronunciation, weird grammar rules.. bah I hated German at GCSE and only got a C.
I'm finding French the hardest by a mile.

At GCSE you are expected to read cartoon strips and little-bitty paragraphs. At A-Level you have to discuss things that are I'd struggle to talk about in English. Some language students have to read novels as well.

I think History is my easiest subject.
History by far.
French is definitely the hardest due to the massive gap from GCSE to AS. The easiest is probably sociology (but please, no comments about it being 'mickey mouse.' I'm only saying that I find it the easiest subject out of the ones I study, not that it's easy).
Reply 17
kellywood_5
French is definitely the hardest due to the massive gap from GCSE to AS. The easiest is probably sociology (but please, no comments about it being 'mickey mouse.' I'm only saying that I find it the easiest subject out of the ones I study, not that it's easy).

woah-thats the problem with german as well. they make it really easy for gcse, then things really go up a gear for A-Level. i find all of my subjects equally as difficult! biology, chem, latin and german...they're all as bad as each other!
Maths. Why? Okay, it's interessting, but personally, I'm finding grasping specific topics a real pain in the *** at the moment.

I try really really hard at it, yet I still suck at it. :frown:
Reply 19
I found Chemistry the hardest by far - I don't find it logical - in my mind there seem to be too many contradications and too many exceptions to the rule. Whereas maths is right, or it's wrong, and there're are usually a little set of rules that are the same every time to get you to the right answer. Horses for courses really - oh and of course how good/enthusiastic the teacher is.

Latest