The Student Room Group

starting sixth form options

Helloo I'm starting in two weeks and I'm still feeling iffy about my options. I'm doing bio, psychology and law and i'm not sure what I can do with those subjects in the future. I'm thinking about nursing but i'm not sure I can get into a nursing university with these a-levels. please give me some advice anything will be fine thank youuu!!
Original post by Choim007
Helloo I'm starting in two weeks and I'm still feeling iffy about my options. I'm doing bio, psychology and law and i'm not sure what I can do with those subjects in the future. I'm thinking about nursing but i'm not sure I can get into a nursing university with these a-levels. please give me some advice anything will be fine thank youuu!!

Those A-levels should be fine to go into nursing, I've had a quick look and most don't have any specific A-level requirements and one I looked at required one science (which you are doing :smile:). I would stick with those A-levels if you think you are going to enjoy them / be able to do well in them.

Hi!

Fantastic to hear you are considering nursing. Typically, there are no specific subject requirements for nursing programs but some favour a single science subject within your options (most unis would consider you having two!). Biology and psychology are perfect A-levels to set you up for a nursing program and law sets you up great for the academics.

Your first year will be heavily based in human biology and they tend to cover a good chunk of mental health too regardless of the specific program you choose. Your university will teach you from the very beginning anyway so don't worry about feeling like you have to be a biology expert before you start!

Good luck with your A-levels and any other questions please feel free to ask!

Mary (Uni of Southampton Official Ambassador)
MNurs Adult and Child, Year Two
Reply 3

I'm a registered nurse, my A levels were History, German and Maths. My husband did A levels Geography, History and Music. Neither of us did a science subject demanded of some universities for nursing - and we're both successful registered nurses.
Those A levels you've chosen are absolutely fine for nursing - in fact, they open a lot of doors.
I've researched entry requirements to help TSR prospective nurses before. Some universities demand certain A levels for nursing and some don't. The universities which demand certain subjects ask for one of biology or chemistry or psychology or sociology or applied science or health and social care. For those that demand specific subjects, look at University of Liverpool and University of Manchester. You've chosen 2 subjects in the lists they demand. For those who don't demand specific subjects, look at Chester, Liverpool John Moore's, Edge Hill, Salford, and MMU. (Note: 7 universities reasonably close together, only 2 of which demand certain subjects for nursing degrees!)

Your subjects are great for nursing, and as others have suggested, it really does depend on the university and their entry requirements. Most also ask for GCSE's in Maths and English at certain grades too (they may also ask for a science at set grade at GCSE).

Your personal statement will be a big part of your application too, which is a chance for you to demonstrate why you would like to become a nurse and what has inspired you (and all the skills that come with it!) :smile:

Good luck and have a great enrolment into Sixth Form!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending