The Student Room Group

I need help with sociology (AQA) ALEVEL

Hi, I’m a current year 12 taking sociology alevel. Im really struggling with essay writing and revision in general. I do not know wether I should be making my own flashcards or study the already made ones online (to save time). If anyone has any good tips/resources please do share
Reply 1
Original post by yo_yooo222
Hi, I’m a current year 12 taking sociology alevel. Im really struggling with essay writing and revision in general. I do not know wether I should be making my own flashcards or study the already made ones online (to save time). If anyone has any good tips/resources please do share
Hi,
I don't take sociology specifically but I do take 3 A-levels. I have found that creating my own flashcards for case studies (/research models, scientific studies etc) is helpful because sometimes these differ in different places and even between different teachers, and also by writing it out I find I learn them better. As for other stuff like background knowledge I would probably use resources already out there or maybe ask friends if they already have made some on that topic. I personally think that if you have the time it's more beneficial to make your own but this is quite controversial and I also know that's not always possible due to a long commute or busy social life or demands from other subjects for example.

As for essay writing I find that just having a good structure helps, and knowing what your paragraphs should look like (not the length of them, but the content) like knowing when to use case studies and whether you're arguing against something or just expanding on a point. This is something that your teachers should be able to help with, but most importantly it's something that gets a lot easier the more essays you do and the more feedback you get. It should develop naturally as you move through y12 and the first half of y13 so I wouldn't worry about it too much 🙂

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by turtle.01
Hi,
I don't take sociology specifically but I do take 3 A-levels. I have found that creating my own flashcards for case studies (/research models, scientific studies etc) is helpful because sometimes these differ in different places and even between different teachers, and also by writing it out I find I learn them better. As for other stuff like background knowledge I would probably use resources already out there or maybe ask friends if they already have made some on that topic. I personally think that if you have the time it's more beneficial to make your own but this is quite controversial and I also know that's not always possible due to a long commute or busy social life or demands from other subjects for example.

As for essay writing I find that just having a good structure helps, and knowing what your paragraphs should look like (not the length of them, but the content) like knowing when to use case studies and whether you're arguing against something or just expanding on a point. This is something that your teachers should be able to help with, but most importantly it's something that gets a lot easier the more essays you do and the more feedback you get. It should develop naturally as you move through y12 and the first half of y13 so I wouldn't worry about it too much 🙂

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much!! This helps a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest