The Student Room Group

Retainer - Can't close mouth

I just got braces taken off two days ago. I have clear retainers to wear (top and bottom) at night.
My bite seems okay when the retainers are off, but there is a huge gap between the top and bottom row of teeth when I put my retainers on.

Obviously, a small gap is to be expected because of the thickness of retainers, but only my molars touch, and my mouth cannot close naturally. I have to force them shut.

It's not exactly painful, but it is tiring for my jaw, and very uncomfortable.

Is it normal not to be able to close my mouth with retainers?
Reply 1
Sometimes it is just a matter of wearing them for a couple of days and getting used to them, but if it doesn't start getting comfortable within the next couple of days you should probably tell your dentist, and they will give you better advice or make adjustments.
My current retainers were really weird when I first got them, but after about a week I got used to it, and/or my retainers formed to my mouth a little bit.
hello .. i have the same problem got my clear retainers akd only my molars meet it’s very uncomfortable and my jaw pains .. is this normal and will my teeth slowly start to meet cause i have to wear this retainers for 5 months everyday .
Original post by Anonymous
I just got braces taken off two days ago. I have clear retainershey to wear (top and bottom) at night.
My bite seems okay when the retainers are off, but there is a huge gap between the top and bottom row of teeth when I put my retainers on.

Obviously, a small gap is to be expected because of the thickness of retainers, but only my molars touch, and my mouth cannot close naturally. I have to force them shut.

It's not exactly painful, but it is tiring for my jaw, and very uncomfortable.

Is it normal not to be able to close my mouth with retainers?

hey i have the same issue ? did your issue get resolved then ? what was problem and did your bite get normal or you had to adjust your retainers ?
Reply 4
Original post by alefiyahjj
hey i have the same issue ? did your issue get resolved then ? what was problem and did your bite get normal or you had to adjust your retainers ?

hey i also have the same issue, was it fixed for you?

Quick Reply

Latest