The Student Room Group

Laptop Question

I know this has been asked before, but I'm planning to study Maths and Comp Sci. at uni, and was just wondering how necessary a laptop was for the course itself.

I'll probably be taking a new laptop to college and was just wondering whether I should go for something higher end or whether it would be wiser to stick to a more basic machine that I would use for emails etc.

Also, would it be wise to see if the college has any special offers on laptops or will the prices be the same everywhere?
Well, look at your course if you need to use certain programs for the Comp Sci bit because if you do need it then it would be smart to get it onto your laptop so you can work in your room etc etc.

I think if everybody will need something they would probably have it in labs or someplace so everybody can work on them. They should/would specifically tell you something if you needed a high-end device otherwise most people wouldn't automatically get one.

Nothing wrong with checking anyway :p:
Reply 2
Probably no need for a laptop at all. Your uni will probably provide all the equipment you need for the course, so a computer of your own is not technically necessary. But of course it will be more convenient to have one. It depends how you prefer to work. Some people prefer to do everything on the uni system anyway, and only use their own machine for the same stuff everyone else does.

Latest

Trending

Trending