The Student Room Group

Career in Engineering

I want to have a career in Engineering, like a lot of others, but I am afraid of the future. I'm planning to go for a placement year after year 2 of, potentially Mechanical Engineering degree, IF it's possible.*

I'm really afraid that if I don't get a placement year/work experience, like SO many other intelligent individuals, it will be almost impossible to find a good job in engineering. I've seen that they always, or mostly ask for experience, like a lot of other jobs and careers. I was wondering what could be done to improve the chance of getting a job in engineering DRASTICALLY, if the placement year didn't work out? It kills me to thinks that I could work my *** off at university and end up in the wrong/undesired sector.*

By the way, I really do want to get a degree in engineering regardless.
Reply 1
Focus o finding work experience or a year in industry then. Look on engineering companies websites, create a LinkedIn account, message people, establish relations and connections, attended events or networking panels etc
It's definitely doable to get a year in industry, amongst my cohort everyone who wanted to do one, got one, but be prepared to lower your expectations and work at companies other than the most prestigious ones.

That said, don't worry if you don't get one, these are more competitive than graduate/entry level jobs that you can get after your degree and I've seen plenty of people get jobs without internship experience.

Make sure to do extracurricular projects like Formula Student as these will help you get a placement or help compensate for your lack of one.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's definitely doable to get a year in industry, amongst my cohort everyone who wanted to do one, got one, but be prepared to lower your expectations and work at companies other than the most prestigious ones.

That said, don't worry if you don't get one, these are more competitive than graduate/entry level jobs that you can get after your degree and I've seen plenty of people get jobs without internship experience.

Make sure to do extracurricular projects like Formula Student as these will help you get a placement or help compensate for your lack of one.

Extra-curricular activities is something I've been thinking about a lot lately...do you think societies in engineering at uni would be helpful?
Reply 4
Original post by Deggs_14
Focus o finding work experience or a year in industry then. Look on engineering companies websites, create a LinkedIn account, message people, establish relations and connections, attended events or networking panels etc

See that is my concern, how difficult it is to find one, especially one that will help my chances of bring employed
Original post by Dyari_
Extra-curricular activities is something I've been thinking about a lot lately...do you think societies in engineering at uni would be helpful?

Definitely

Quick Reply

Latest