The Student Room Group

Accountant vs Engineer

Would you rather be an accountant or an engineer?
Reply 1
Bump
Engineer, it's more interesting to me, but I know plenty of people who have gone into accounting and other finance, investment, and management jobs and they're having a good time too. I've also seen people leave both because they were bored out of their minds though, and in a lot of cases they end up in IT.

If you're thinking of doing a degree then engineering is more versatile, you can do an accounting grad scheme with an engineering degree but not the opposite. Accounting also doesn't really need a degree, whereas engineering as a non-degree holder is a different sort of job to engineering as a degree holder, so that could impact your choice if you feel going straight to work would be a better option for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
Engineer, it's more interesting to me, but I know plenty of people who have gone into accounting and other finance, investment, and management jobs and they're having a good time too. I've also seen people leave both because they were bored out of their minds though, and in a lot of cases they end up in IT.

If you're thinking of doing a degree then engineering is more versatile, you can do an accounting grad scheme with an engineering degree but not the opposite. Accounting also doesn't really need a degree, whereas engineering as a non-degree holder is a different sort of job to engineering as a degree holder, so that could impact your choice if you feel going straight to work would be a better option for you.

I have heard that people who have an engineering degree find it hard to find jobs. Is that true?
Original post by Rolo1234
I have heard that people who have an engineering degree find it hard to find jobs. Is that true?

Not from what I've seen. Out of my coursemates who wanted to do engineering jobs nearly all got them within a couple of months of graduating, with the last one getting a job about 10 months later though that was mostly because he was focusing on PhD applications. Those who wanted to do other jobs got them before graduating.

Quick Reply

Latest