The Student Room Group

any1 knows of n e good books?

hey guys,
ok well i've just won some money from my school but the thing is i have to spend it on books!

I'm pretty stuck on what to get as there is soo many to choose from. I was first thinking a cook book might help me out in uni...but then i thought maybe a biography might be an interesting read (eg. the Hilary Clinton one)....but then maybe i should get something on law as that is what i'll be readin at uni. So does any one know of any law books that they used ALOT during their first year that might be a worthy purchase?

Thanks y'all...and if you think i should get some else (eg. a good fiction book you enjoyed) i wanna hear from you.
If you want a law book, try 'Learning the Law' by Glanville Williams. It's a standard law text. :smile:

For fiction... Try Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy if you don't mind reading an incredibly depressing story. Also good is the more recent Remains of the Day (the film is good too) but I forget who wrote it :redface:

Also I've heard good things about the original Frankenstein novel. It's more than just a horror novel!

For some light reading, and keeping within the subject of law, read the Rumpole short stories by John Mortimer... they're quite funny yet informative too in a perculiar way...
Read Denning's book :biggrin:
Reply 3
NDGAARONDI
Read Denning's book :biggrin:

what's this?
Leifde
what's this?

http://books.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/cpc_5101_vtl_author_c19193817.html

Didn't know there was more than one on this former judge.
Reply 5
I suggest you should venture off the beaten track of the typical introductory legal system books. They give you an overview of how the system works, but you might want to look at something different too. I have to say that apart from a two week introductory course (or a small module that some other unis do), the rest of your law degree isn't much like reading Williams' Learning the Law or any other similar books. Sure, they're imortant, but you may want to try an introductory book on a specific topic, say, constitutional law, contract law, jurisprudence, criminal law etc. It depends on how ambitious you are and how much time/money you have, but doing this would give you a much better idea of what most of your three years studying law will actually be like.
For jurisprudence I'd recommend JG Riddall.
Reply 7
Useful for law but not textbooks (wait until you're at uni before you start reading those, believe me, or you'll be even more sick of them) are "Eve was Framed" and "Just Law" by Helena Kennedy. Not too difficult to read, but very relevant.
muncrun
I suggest you should venture off the beaten track of the typical introductory legal system books. They give you an overview of how the system works, but you might want to look at something different too. I have to say that apart from a two week introductory course (or a small module that some other unis do), the rest of your law degree isn't much like reading Williams' Learning the Law or any other similar books. Sure, they're imortant, but you may want to try an introductory book on a specific topic, say, constitutional law, contract law, jurisprudence, criminal law etc. It depends on how ambitious you are and how much time/money you have, but doing this would give you a much better idea of what most of your three years studying law will actually be like.

Actually I'd say Learning the Law is most useful in preparing for university!

There's no need to start reading about specific areas of law as that's what you'll spend a great deal of time doing on your degree course anyway.
Reply 9
I liked 'The Law Machine'. Explained the basics much more clearly to me than Glanville Williams ever could.
london_bum
I liked 'The Law Machine'. Explained the basics much more clearly to me than Glanville Williams ever could.

Yeah that's quite good... explains the basics and how our legal system has developed and what could be done to improve it... I didn't think it was as useful as Learning the Law, though, probably because I knew most of the stuff in the Law Machine already from A-level.
Reply 11
thanks for all your feedback so far

Latest

Trending

Trending