The Student Room Group

I got all 8s n 9s, Ask me for help

HI people, im here for anyone who needs guidance in general for gcses in terms of methods of learning/memorising as well as actual content/notes I made for myself. Dm me for those, and yeah hope you have an amazing day xx
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I have taken AQA English, maths, Economics, Spanish, further maths, computer science & history. Any study materials please?
Reply 2
Hi what way did you revise English literature and language in order to get an 8 and 9 as for literature i am doing Jekell and hyde and macbeth
Reply 3
Original post by rp27
Hi what way did you revise English literature and language in order to get an 8 and 9 as for literature i am doing Jekell and hyde and macbeth

Not OP but I found Mr Salles Teaches English super useful for lit, just watch his videos and write down notes on a google doc (mainly to get into videro but also to flash through the night before the exam) as for lang Mr Bruff was pretty good
Reply 4
Original post by hibyehereforasec
HI people, im here for anyone who needs guidance in general for gcses in terms of methods of learning/memorising as well as actual content/notes I made for myself. Dm me for those, and yeah hope you have an amazing day xx

thank you
Original post by Suvar
Hi I have taken AQA English, maths, Economics, Spanish, further maths, computer science & history. Any study materials please?

hi bro, luck has it that i did the exact opposite gcses as you but maths and eng i can help.
Maths - GCSEmathstutor's gcse maths playlist, do every single vid. After each vid, find qs for that topic on mathsgenie and maths upgrade
n make flashcards for rules and qs that you found really hard and you might wana attempt again after some time. Maths is all about practise practise, once you see enough qs your good to go for the exam.
English - Lit and lang are two seperate things. If you get lang nailed, lit is 2/3 nailed too. So first focus on lang. Watch mr salles n mr everything english on their vids for p1 question by question and then p2 question by question. i don't recommend mr bruff as he teaches from a static grade 5/6 point while the other two mr s n mr e go in depth aimin for 9s. For sec b of p1 id recomened to memorise a base answer of a description of a place, and two people with dialogue between them. Make sure its already full marks ie improve it till its to that point. Now you could just write it in the exam just tweaking it to the prompt (If you go for this method youd obv never do the pic, go for the writing prompt underneath as that will give you more leeway).
Literature is the case of applying the skills from language into texts youve already studied instead of them being exclusively unseen like in lang.
Lit has 2 aspects, the books/plays and then poetry.
Books n plays = You DONT need to read the whole thing and annotate each line, all you need to do is gather main themes of the play/book and find key quotes that fit them and analyse those. Plenty of vids by mr salles and mr everythin e on those. Theres also a certain format that i found got me alwasy 27 - 30marks, if you want its here:
Answer should follow this format generally, for all play/book questions i.e Macbeth, Christmas Carol, Dr J n Mr H, Jane Eyre and Blood Brothers etc: (Steps after 1 and 2 could be in different order where appropriate, but including them all is necessary)
1. Point made with the keywords of the question in order to make sure your point is relevant to the question. Usually a couple lines long. (AO1)
2. This is where you further support your point made by stating a summarised proof/evidence for this point you made. NOT zooming into any quotes, but rather stating certain events of highlighting key phrases that support the point. KEY is to NOT zoom into language and effect too much here, simply build an argument to why you think the point in the beginning is true, throwing in some authorial intent even. Usually half a page long. (AO1)
3. zoom into quotes to support point + conclude with answering the q: Why would the author want this point to come across, a bril way to keep a consistent argument as it should match with the autorial intent mentioned in step 2 if you include it. Usually a page long. (AO2)
4. Make an argument why the point made in the beginning matters, why the author would want the point to be made in terms of context. Usually half a page long. (AO3)
5. More analysis with the effect on the reader addressed, what is the point teaching the reader? (usually here you would talk about the extract’s effect on the reader) + What is your point meant to make the reader think? Usually a page long. (AO2)
6. To wrap everything up, explain again why the point made is true by zooming and supporting with analysis and quotes, with a concluding paragraph at the end. Usually a page long. (AO1 + AO2)
(About 4 pages in exam)
OFC you could have a dif way and still get full marks but if you want somewhere to start the above would be good.
POETRY- ah poetry bro most schools push poetry on in year 11. You have two clusters that your school chooses to look at, power n conflict or love thru the ages. I did power n conflict but tbh the prinicple is the same, watch all the vids on them you can find by mr salles mr e or tbh any youtube vid theres so many = so many prespectives than the same dead ones in class.
THEN you have the last section which is unseen poetry, which is baisclaly where they give you poems that you havent studied, you look at them for the first time. You have to look at them thru the lens of structure n language, kinda like a lang p1 q2+q3 combo but you gotta add devices n techiniques that are specific to poetry, again watch mr e n salles vids on them. Unseen is somat you gotta practice kinda like lang p1, the last q in unseen is kinda like lang p2 q2 in terms of similarities/differences, so again once you get your lang nailed, lit is mostly paved aswell. Just finish up with watchin all mr e n salles vids that exist for the exams and youre good to go!
Sorry if this is hard to read im in a rush but if you want anythin explained again ill be happy to, for rp27 too
xx hope you get the grades you want and have a great night
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by rp27

hi bro sorry for the late reply, i answered that in the replies if you wana take a look x
Reply 7
hiya i’m currently struggling on combine science and english , my teacher for english says im working at a grade 5-5 but i think im working at a grade 6/7 or more please can you help me get high in english and science as i want to do well thanks it will also be useful if h send me ur notes and revision links much appreciated x
Original post by aa.asiah
hiya i’m currently struggling on combine science and english , my teacher for english says im working at a grade 5-5 but i think im working at a grade 6/7 or more please can you help me get high in english and science as i want to do well thanks it will also be useful if h send me ur notes and revision links much appreciated x

Hi, i got some english guidance above if you wana take a look, i also got some full mark answers but what books/plays do you do?
Combined science- Well this is different from english, english is developin skills mostly while combined science is heavily focused on understanding loads of concepts and how they connect. For science, you really need to double down on the spec, using it as a criteria and checklist of everythin you need to now and dont need to know. I have notes that take everything from vids like cognito, free science lessons n sites like pmt n seneca n seneca n the textbook and convert everything into condensed rigorous explanations, basically everything in one document if you want however its edexcel, you prolly might do aqa cus thats the most common so you gotta do that stuff yourself:
Get a topic up ie topic 1 from all science resources
> Seneca
> Save my exams
> Pmt
> Cognito
> Free science lessons
Now go through each resources and write down how it addresses the first spec point in the topic. Miss out info that does not relate to the spec because you dont need to know it then cus alot of these sites sometimes hit or miss the spec.
Do that for every single spec point youll be done in about 200 days if you did 4 specs a day but depends what year you are in n urgency.
All thats left is to make flashcards of all that specification specific info, n voila done. Do those flashcards AND do past qs per topic by Physcs n maths tutor (pmt) and youll be good to go. Its really important to ask your teacher on anything you dont understand as many concepts in science require foundation concepts to be nailed in the first place in order to advance.
Hope this helps xx
Reply 9
Hi, i got some english guidance above if you wana take a look, i also got some full mark answers but what books/plays do you do?
Combined science- Well this is different from english, english is developin skills mostly while combined science is heavily focused on understanding loads of concepts and how they connect. For science, you really need to double down on the spec, using it as a criteria and checklist of everythin you need to now and dont need to know. I have notes that take everything from vids like cognito, free science lessons n sites like pmt n seneca n seneca n the textbook and convert everything into condensed rigorous explanations, basically everything in one document if you want however its edexcel, you prolly might do aqa cus thats the most common so you gotta do that stuff yourself:
Get a topic up ie topic 1 from all science resources
> Seneca
> Save my exams
> Pmt
> Cognito
> Free science lessons
Now go through each resources and write down how it addresses the first spec point in the topic. Miss out info that does not relate to the spec because you dont need to know it then cus alot of these sites sometimes hit or miss the spec.
Do that for every single spec point youll be done in about 200 days if you did 4 specs a day but depends what year you are in n urgency.
All thats left is to make flashcards of all that specification specific info, n voila done. Do those flashcards AND do past qs per topic by Physcs n maths tutor (pmt) and youll be good to go. Its really important to ask your teacher on anything you dont understand as many concepts in science require foundation concepts to be nailed in the first place in order to advance.
Hope this helps xx

Wasn't going through all these resources for each topic hard like how are u supposed to manage it all on one page can u give steps? like watch free science lessons first, ect.
Original post by M1.xo30
Wasn't going through all these resources for each topic hard like how are u supposed to manage it all on one page can u give steps? like watch free science lessons first, ect.

Yep it was pretty hard n time consumin than just watching freesciencelessons n makin notes, but thats what everyone does to 'revise'. You gotta get ahead of everyone ie do the above n therefore be able to answer any question.
I would recommend order of using resources should be cognito, freesciencelessons, save my exams, seneca and pmt.
Why?
Because cognito and freesciencelessons allow you to generally understand a concept that plain writing cant do. Save my exams + seneca next because these two are the most specification-specific resources i have ever come across and you can use these to polish your notes to specification specific, adding any details that were missed. Pmt's detailed notes is just another resource it wouldn't hurt to compare your notes, the more the better.

The specific steps that i did was:
1. Make a google doc n copy n paste a topic's spec into it
2. Focus on the first spec, or a group of closely related ones, and go through freesciencelessons and cognito's vids on the spec/s to generally understand the concept. If i still dont understand, id watch other videos on the concept even if they were american whatever, understanding the concept is the first step. At this point i wouldnt make notes, just be focused on UNDERSTANDING but you could if you wanted to.
3. Refining process. This is where you now go to the golden websites seneca and savemyexams and find the parts that relate to the spec/s your covering and make notes under the spec in your google doc. You'll already understand the concept because of the visual nature of the videos, so now its the case of articulating them into written notes which are specification specific, which save my exams and seneca do wonderfully. Take screen shots of diagrams or formulas or the qs savemyexams have at the bottom of each sub topic and put them in the document where they are relevant. You could also refer to PMT detailed notes at this point, they might write ab a concept in a better way than savemyexams for example.
4. Checking, although through the process of note taking, you should only include info thats on the spec, you should check one last time before going on to the next set of spec points.
This method is so good that i started looking at questions n thinking oh its this number spec point and id be right, you literally become a textbook inside out because of the amount of focus n time you spend to create the google doc resource.
hope this helps n i hope you get the grades you want xx
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 11
Thank you so much for explaining it so thoroughly!

yo, i got my geography paper 1 and 2 AQA this week, any study materials you got for it? and do you know what topics i need to study for my math calculator paper Edexcel?
Reply 13

hi :smile:
what methods did you find effective for revising english literature??
thank you so much for any help and well done!!
Reply 14
I need help with Spanish please! I got a 5 in year 10 mocks and my goal is a 9 as i’m now doing higher. The issue is that for the past few years i’ve learn foundation level spanish and my speaking is absolutely HORRIBLE.
Thank you and well done for ur results :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)

i have one week before mocks and my only revision is writing notes from a textbook. i barely know the content. any ideas?
Original post by victor14324545
i have one week before mocks and my only revision is writing notes from a textbook. i barely know the content. any ideas?

hi!

im also one week away from my mocks lmao, my first one is on the 13th

i spoke to my head of year recently about how to revise content well and i'll tell you what she said.

(also remember that its never too late to start revising)

imagine you're revising solids, liquid and gases in chemistry, these steps helped me personally

1 - watch a video on the topic, some good yt channels are cognito and freesciencelessons.
2 - after the video, write down as much as you can remember from the video. whether you think the notes are useless or not just blurt anything about the video that comes to your mind. be strict with timings and only spend however long the video is writing notes. (this is good for some light active recall)
3 - hop on physics and maths tutor and find some past paper questions on the topic. dont do these questions for too long, only do 1-5. (this will help with active recall even more and force yourself to scrape anything about the topic out of your brain)
4 - correct your answers and make a new revision 'sheet'. consolidate and pick out the best notes from your blurting and pick out some of the questions from the past paper to add to your sheet.

all of the above should take around 20-30 mins to do

5 - when you want to revise this topic again, you already have some good notes to review so look at your notes and cover them up with a blank piece of paper at the start of a new session. write down as much as you can remember again, when you get stuck, my teacher told me 'thats your brain forcing itself to make new links etc etc etc' (you may realise a lot of paper is used with this method lol)

6 - keep going with the above until you can essentially reproduce a 1:1 copy of your notes from memory. this shouldnt take too long either, maybe 5 - 10 mins if you do it without any distractions.

7 - do some past paper questions again and you should come to realise that you have mastered the topic!

take all of this with a pinch of salt as methods work for some people but not for others but i think this is a rlly good way to memorise stuff in a short period of time. ill link some recourses for the core subjects that i find useful below as well :3

maths: https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk, https://corbettmaths.com, https://www.drfrostmaths.com/login.php (dfm is the best in my opinion)

sciences: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com, https://www.youtube.com/@Freesciencelessons, https://www.youtube.com/@Cognitoedu
english literature and language: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com, https://www.youtube.com/@MrSallesTeachesEnglish, https://www.youtube.com/@mrbruff, https://www.youtube.com/@glowupyourgrades

i hope you can find a thing or two here that can help, gl with your revision!!
Original post by victor14324545

yep bro elaina's reply goes over it all well, but also dw if u cant do everything at this point, covering all the content in a week can be challenging so dw if your results arent what you expected. Just take it as a lesson and start revising from now for your gcses which actually matter, the mocks are practice remember that
Original post by oppenheimer_1
yo, i got my geography paper 1 and 2 AQA this week, any study materials you got for it? and do you know what topics i need to study for my math calculator paper Edexcel?

AQA GEO: yes i got paper 1 notes (not p2 tho never got round to it to make proper notes for p2 lol) here gopin thru everyting u need to know BUT tbh cramming everything in a week is mad your gona have to settle for bingewatching paper 1 and 2 revision vids by primrosekitten and others and relying on short term memory forget flashcards and notes, but id recomend using my notes for ur actual gcses they go over every single info u need: https://www.stuvia.com/en-gb/doc/3617383/grade-9-aqa-geography-paper-1-detailed-notes-every-single-thing-you-need-to-know (if u need support accessing them then dm me im not scrooge).
Edexcel Maths: With maths theres no specific topics for maths calc or non calc, its literally a combination of any topics that can come up but theres certain topics more likely to come up in calc papers like compound Interest, area/circumference of circles/sectors, Probability questions, classic SOHCAHTOA, Circle Theorems but go over everything i recomened watcin gcsemathstutor's 3 hour vids of summarised gcse maths etc since ur exams are close. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest