The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MST Creative Writing - University of Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smartielover
is anyone still waiting for the Oxford Mst? Haven't heard anything - not even for an interview..

I applied for the March deadline so wouldn't expect to hear until next month. Did you prefer that course? I'm pretty set on Cambridge but being honest didn't research Oxford as much and haven't interviewed either, so I just don't know as much about it!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by 7sisters
I applied for the March deadline so wouldn't expect to hear until next month. Did you prefer that course? I'm pretty set on Cambridge but being honest didn't research Oxford as much and haven't interviewed either, so I just don't know as much about it!

ok, I also applied for the March deadline so good to know others are still waiting! Tbh I haven't thought too much about my preference, but just would like to have all responses in before making a decision :smile:
Original post by smartielover
Just got an offer for the Cambridge Mst in creative writing :smile:

Hi I applied for this course too but haven’t heard back yet… where did you study beforehand, if I could ask? I’m scared my application isn’t competitive enough because of my undergraduate university (bath spa)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I applied for this course too but haven’t heard back yet… where did you study beforehand, if I could ask? I’m scared my application isn’t competitive enough because of my undergraduate university (bath spa)

Hi, I can't really answer the question as to whether it matters but I went to a Russell Group uni and felt the same worry - would everyone else be Oxbridge? Who knows how they make these decisions, but I doubt that would be the issue as they do seem to say people come from all walks of life etc.
Hey all :smile:

I'm applying to both Oxford and Cambridge Mst for 2023 Start - sorry if this has been asked before but I would really appreciate some help with the research proposal, it's worded a bit confusing and I am a little unsure how to approach it. Anyone willing in any way to help or any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Original post by KaliN13

I'm applying to both Oxford and Cambridge Mst for 2023 Start - sorry if this has been asked before but I would really appreciate some help with the research proposal, it's worded a bit confusing and I am a little unsure how to approach it. Anyone willing in any way to help or any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Hey i am in the same boat, any advice for the research proposal welcome !
Oxford doesn’t ask for a research proposal, but Cambridge does. It’s a proposal for the dissertation that you will be working on in the second year of the course. E.g. I plan to write a novel and I already have an idea of what it’s going to be, so my research proposal was about that.
Original post by KaliN13

Thanks in advance.

Original post by cprim001
Hey i am in the same boat, any advice for the research proposal welcome !

Came to this a bit late, but I also applied to Oxford for the 2023 deadline. How did your applications end up going? Have you heard back?
(Original post by Anonymous)Came to this a bit late, but I also applied to Oxford for the 2023 deadline. How did your applications end up going? Have you heard back?

* 2023 start
(Original post by Anonymous)Came to this a bit late, but I also applied to Oxford for the 2023 deadline. How did your applications end up going? Have you heard back?

* 2023 start

Also applied for 2023 entry! I applied for the extended deadline. Haven't heard back yet about a potential interview - happy to share updates. How about yourself?
I too have applied for 2023 entry! Has anyone gotten offers for 2023 yet?
Original post by CreativeMasters
I too have applied for 2023 entry! Has anyone gotten offers for 2023 yet?

Also applied for 2023 entry! I applied for the extended deadline. Haven't heard back yet about a potential interview - happy to share updates. How about yourself?

I applied for the March deadline, interviewed at the end of March, and received a department offer three weeks later. I am yet to hear back from colleges. How are things on both of your ends?
What are the interviews like?
Reply 73
Original post by username4468268
Ah. That does sound awful (large room? What on Earth for?). Mine in Cambridge was in a small, book-lined room in front of a fireplace, me and two interviewers sat about 3 feet apart from each other. It was lovely - only thing missing to complete the picture was tea! I think Oxford is just different that way- they tend to be much more formal, much more structured in approach. I think what draws me to Ox and Cam as opposed to UEA or others is the access to the rest of the university, especially at Cambridge, where you can attend almost any lecture and use almost any library as a student. That kind of access is tremendous for the budding research stages of any writing project, as is the general effect of a degree from Oxbridge vs other universities. I’m afraid I don’t feel as confident about other unis in that aspect, and I’m not totally convinced that famous/well-known writers are necessarily pedagogically skilled. In the end, it’s a very personal undertaking, and it’s best to really figure out which one feels like the best fit while still keeping you on your toes! As for the Cambridge tutors - they are all multiple-published, all educated at the university; the main tutors’ interests and publications also fit my interests and learning needs well (so again, a personal choice). It’s worth a look! As for the Oxford programme - I do think there are benefits, of course, to their approach and outlook, and even the class size; in the end, though, it’s not quite as good a fit for me. Anyway, best of luck - if you do decide to apply to Cambridge and have any questions, feel free to send me a private message. I’ve just received an offer of place!
Helo there, I have been reading up on Cambridge masters as my daughter has an interview on Friday. I wonder if you could help her to understand how best to prepare for it? I'd be so grateful!
The process is so nerve wracking isn't it! I've read that the Oxford interview is quite formal - it that the experience of anyone who has been recently? I'm worried that my chosen genre is fantasy and maybe that isn't serious enough for Oxford?
My daughter applied to Cambridge and her interview, via teams, was friendly and fairly informal. I have heard, as you say, that Oxford is less so.
Hi, Sergey! I applied for the January deadline and had my interview today. What about you?
well done @LisaKlsv how did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending