The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Learn something new every day :wink:
Alex L
Learn something new every day :wink:

lol its lucky for me because I will hopefully be getting some more work experience in september and it would be quite pointless if I was to have already sent off the UCAS form :P
Another stupid question... my UCAS number is the same number that is on my UCAS card isn't it?
Reply 42
mine's on the 18th of july....id have liked it to be later but i suppose it's good to get it out of the way. at least there's none of the suspense of waiting for results the way there is with AS/Alevels!! good luck to everyone taking it.
Reply 43
Do you take the UKcat test during the summer between AS and A2 or during the summer of A2 (after you've left college)?
Reply 44
ACDC
Do you take the UKcat test during the summer between AS and A2 or during the summer of A2 (after you've left college)?

You take it during the summer of the year you are applying. For most this will be between AS and A2.
Between AS and A2, unless you're re-applying or applying with the grades etc.
Reply 46
Liar
You take it during the summer of the year you are applying. For most this will be between AS and A2.

I want to apply for Medicine, but I know I've cocked up most of my AS exams. However, I will be re-taking them, either with A2 or restarting from scratch and doing a third year, it really boils down to how I've done, I have a feeling I may have fluked two of those four subjects though. Atm, I have the dilemma of not knowing whether to apply for Med this year or next year. Will they even consider me if I was to apply this year? Are students who repeat A-levels unfavourable when applying for Med? I've heard some Unis do a foundation year, before you start the medical course, would this be useful for me to do?
Reply 47
ACDC
I want to apply for Medicine, but I know I've cocked up most of my AS exams. However, I will be re-taking them, either with A2 or restarting from scratch and doing a third year, it really boils down to how I've done, I have a feeling I may have fluked two of those four subjects though. Atm, I have the dilemma of not knowing whether to apply for Med this year or next year. Will they even consider me if I was to apply this year? Are students who repeat A-levels unfavourable when applying for Med? I've heard some Unis do a foundation year, before you start the medical course, would this be useful for me to do?

Don't resit a whole year, unis don't like that. Just resit the ones you want to during Jan/June next year. As for when to apply, wait and see what you AS results are. If your school will still predict you at least AAB then you may as well apply this year and you can choose to not cash in your AS grades so the unis wont see them. If they won't predict you AAB then get the grades at A2 and apply the following year.
Reply 48
lilac!!
Same, good luck :smile:

ah brilliant :biggrin: you too, hopefully itll be a lucky day!
Reply 49
ACDC

i have the exact same problem as you but i had a whole load of extenuating circumstances which threw me off track. my prediction is abb until results come back and im praying for a miracle so my idiot teachers can predict me aab but whatever happens im going to appply for 2009 anyway. you never know, you might get a surprise offer on one of the foundation courses. ive planned where im going to apply for 2010 entry but have only got 2 choices for 2009. at the end of the day the worst you can get is 4 rejections, and ive prepared myself for that already. my 2009 ucas application is a kind of fake one me in preparation for my real application.
Reply 50
MCRmy28
I did really badly on my UKCAT...I dont know what to do now.. =|.. is there still any point in my applying for dentistry?

Firstly. :hugs: The UKCAT won't be the only factor they use to decide and there couldn't be harm in applying this year even if you don't get in - you could just apply the next. I'd try your luck if I were you. :biggrin:

What did you get? There's no 'pass' anyway. Hope everything goes okay.
I've done a few practise questions and so far, so good. I'm not happy with the quantitive reasoning section tbh - I thought it'd be fairly straight forward but it really isn't! I'm liking the abstract reasoning - well I'm fairly quick at it and managed to get 12/15 in the questions I tried.

How on earth is the decision analysis marked? There's really no right or wrong answer so I don't really know whether or not I should answer the way a doctor/medical applicant should answer or if I should be true to myself and actually answer based on my opinion.
!MEna
I've done a few practise questions and so far, so good. I'm not happy with the quantitive reasoning section tbh - I thought it'd be fairly straight forward but it really isn't! I'm liking the abstract reasoning - well I'm fairly quick at it and managed to get 12/15 in the questions I tried.

How on earth is the decision analysis marked? There's really no right or wrong answer so I don't really know whether or not I should answer the way a doctor/medical applicant should answer or if I should be true to myself and actually answer based on my opinion.

There are right and wrong answers. The answer must include all of the codes in it and have a logical line of reasoning behind it. Sometimes there are two options which are both correct (they tell you if this is the case) and you get a mark whichever correct one you choose.
MCRmy28
I got 505 =|
was shocked at how thick I am LOL
This probably has no bearing to your score but how did you do in your GCSEs and what AS subjects are you taking?
What's a "good" score to get?
Reply 55
cucumber sandwich
What's a "good" score to get?

the average score of people who take it is around 600 i think, though itll vary slightly from year to year. so it depends what you mean by "good". it's marked from 300 to 900 so 620 upwards and you're above average. 690/700+ is pretty exceptional from what i can gather.
Reply 56
I've just finished my UKCAT, it was so stressful. I got:
Verbal-530
Quantitative-830
Abstract-680
Decision-710

That's an average of 687.5, so if 690-700ish is exceptional I'm pretty happy :smile:

BTW what can you make of the explanations of the non-cognitive answers? The only negatives are I could become over structured and being positive isn't always realistic.

I wouldn't say it's a problem with myself though, I wasn't sure what to put on most of them:s

One had Start 0 0 0 0 0 0 Finish I think I ticked closest to start but I just wasn't sure what to put
Reply 57
Ben14
I've just finished my UKCAT, it was so stressful. I got:
Verbal-530
Quantitative-830
Abstract-680
Decision-710

That's an average of 687.5, so if 690-700ish is exceptional I'm pretty happy :smile:

BTW what can you make of the explanations of the non-cognitive answers? The only negatives are I could become over structured and being positive isn't always realistic.

I wouldn't say it's a problem with myself though, I wasn't sure what to put on most of them:s

One had Start 0 0 0 0 0 0 Finish I think I ticked closest to start but I just wasn't sure what to put

Well done. :biggrin: That's good and got out of the way!

Non-cog sounds hell. :s-smilie:

MCRmy28
I got 505 =|

We have no idea how much weight they carry on dentistry/medicine or indeed what's a good/bad score. You're not thick! Don't be disheartened if dentistry's your thing! :frown:
Reply 58
MCRmy28
I got 505 =|

it doesn't make you thick! not at all. you've got to remember that it only measures certain things, and that there'll be loads of people with good GCSE and Alevel grades, or who are generally good students, who dont score as highly as they hope on the UKCAT. if your worried about it, try to find out which uni's place less importance on UKCAT in their admissions policies and apply there - dont let that put you off if thats really what you want to do!
Reply 59
!MEna
This probably has no bearing to your score but how did you do in your GCSEs and what AS subjects are you taking?

i got 4 A*'s, 6 A's n a B at gcse
n for AS I took biology, chemistry, english lit, history and critical thinking...

Latest

Trending

Trending