UWE Physician Associate MSc (MPAS) 2020 entry

Scroll to see replies

Also if I can answer any questions please message 😊
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by PAbristol
Hey I’m a second year PA at UWE just coming to the end of the course, you absolutely need a stethoscope they won’t provide them - I recommend the Littmann classic 3.

What’s the placements like in second and first year-like how many weeks of placements are there in each year? And do you know anything about the funded places?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by WonderWoman98
What’s the placements like in second and first year-like how many weeks of placements are there in each year? And do you know anything about the funded places?

Thank you :smile:

So teaching in first year is general medicine, so the placement is mostly primary care (GP) to reflect that. You have teaching from September to around March and then go on placement for a month at a practice, then do a months “taster” at your hospital trust, then do another few months at your GP practice.

In second year the teaching is around specialities and is only August to October. From November onwards you’re on placement in secondary care (hospital) pretty much until the end of second year, with odd weeks at uni and a month at your GP practice as a refresher.

As for the funded places I guess it’s down to the trust each year. The funded places are for Yeovil hospital. You have to apply and be interviewed around Christmas of first year, if you are successful they will pay your fees for both years and provide accommodation for second year whilst you’re on placement in Yeovil. When you complete the course you have to work for them for 2 years. In our year there were 4 places, and there’s 26 in our cohort so it can be competitive. I’m not sure whether this will continue, like I said I guess it depends on the trust’s funding year to year.

Hope this helps, anything else just ask 😊
Original post by PAbristol
So teaching in first year is general medicine, so the placement is mostly primary care (GP) to reflect that. You have teaching from September to around March and then go on placement for a month at a practice, then do a months “taster” at your hospital trust, then do another few months at your GP practice.

In second year the teaching is around specialities and is only August to October. From November onwards you’re on placement in secondary care (hospital) pretty much until the end of second year, with odd weeks at uni and a month at your GP practice as a refresher.

As for the funded places I guess it’s down to the trust each year. The funded places are for Yeovil hospital. You have to apply and be interviewed around Christmas of first year, if you are successful they will pay your fees for both years and provide accommodation for second year whilst you’re on placement in Yeovil. When you complete the course you have to work for them for 2 years. In our year there were 4 places, and there’s 26 in our cohort so it can be competitive. I’m not sure whether this will continue, like I said I guess it depends on the trust’s funding year to year.

Hope this helps, anything else just ask 😊

Thank you that’s really helpful!!

What about exam structure?- are there any January and summer exams in first year, how are we going to be assessed, etc...? (Sorry for all these questions!)
Thank you that’s really helpful!!

What about exam structure?- are there any January and summer exams in first year, how are we going to be assessed, etc...? (Sorry for all these questions!)

Yes there’s January and summer exams in both years. The January and summer exams in both years are SBA MCQs, and then there’s OSCEs around May in both years. All are structured similarly to nationals to prepare you. As for other assessments, there’s several critical reflection essays to submit over the two years, a placement portfolio per year, a viva (oral case presentation) per year, and of course your dissertation.

Don’t worry, feel free to keep asking! 😊
Hello :smile:

I chose UWE because I’ll be an alumni here so I’ll get 15% off the first year tuition fee for PA and I love Bristol, it’s a nice city to have a student experience in!

In terms of funding for second year rumour has it that there are 2 funded places available subject to working in Yeovil for a few years.

There will be between 20-25 people in our cohort, and I can confirm that there’s about 5/6 course mates of mine from UWE biomed, who will also be doing the PA course. - so the current age range is 21-27

In terms of what to brush up on I heard that we need to know our anatomy really well! - what was your previous degree? Also brushing up on things like how to interpret blood results would be very helpful!

And in terms of COVID - I really don’t know what will happen, but UWE have postponed our graduation that normally occurs in July, so I don’t know whether courses will also be delayed.

I hope this helps! I’m happy to answer anymore questions! :smile:

Ps. I don’t know what to do in terms of buying a stethoscope and book? - some unis give our free stethoscopes to students, I don’t know whether UWE will.

Hey,

Sorry my reply is super late. My work is pretty hectic! But it Is lovely to hear from people who will be on the course / who are on it already. I'm starting to look forward it :smile:.

Ah Nice, UWE / Bristol must be good if you're staying on for the masters, and that a group of you are doing so. Will you be living in accommodation together?

I'm hoping the course encourages group learning / group study as that's how I work best for sure.

So my previous degree was Biology, but I graduated a few years ago - hoping some residual knowledge is in there somewhere! Not sure whether to brush up on anatomy / physiology now or whether its best to just go for it when the course starts...

Looks like we need to get a stethoscope! haha - do you know whether there is a recommended textbook etc? I gave my physiology book to a friend who became a medic.

Hope you're keeping well
Original post by Earthscuba
Hey,

Sorry my reply is super late. My work is pretty hectic! But it Is lovely to hear from people who will be on the course / who are on it already. I'm starting to look forward it :smile:.

Ah Nice, UWE / Bristol must be good if you're staying on for the masters, and that a group of you are doing so. Will you be living in accommodation together?

I'm hoping the course encourages group learning / group study as that's how I work best for sure.

So my previous degree was Biology, but I graduated a few years ago - hoping some residual knowledge is in there somewhere! Not sure whether to brush up on anatomy / physiology now or whether its best to just go for it when the course starts...

Looks like we need to get a stethoscope! haha - do you know whether there is a recommended textbook etc? I gave my physiology book to a friend who became a medic.

Hope you're keeping well

Apologies for butting in on your reply, thought I could answer a couple questions.

There is group learning in the form of PBL - most medicine programmes use it, you can look it up if you want to see what it is I don’t know how to explain it!

I wouldn’t go wild on brushing up on anatomy etc, you’ll see what needs covering when you get there, enjoy your summer! But if you do want to have a look, maybe have a read of the PA matrix to see what you’ll need to know. If you’re looking for books I recommend Moore’s Clinical Anatomy, Kumar and Clarke’s Clinical Medicine and the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine to name a few😊
Hey,

Hope you're keeping well

Yeah Bristol a great city! And UWE as a university is very good particularly for health care related courses, they have a whole campus, Glenside Campus, which is just for healthcare related courses with amazing facilities! Their placements are really good too, some people end up getting job offers where they did their placements!

In terms of accomodation, the people on my course are living with different people, some are living with coursemates that are currently on placements and they had prior arrangements to live together, others are living with their partners/boyfriends. I’m living with friends from other courses, though, in second year I’m looking into living with people from our course.

The course offered at UWE has a lot of group work since we’re a small cohort.

I really look forward to meeting you!
Hey guys, I'm currently applying for the MSC PA course, I have just finished my undergrad at UWE in Psychology. Does anyone have any tips on writing my personal statement? The cut off for me to apply is 31st May and I know if I get an interview it will be over skype. I don't know if its a rumour but I have been told that you can only apply for the course once? I'm debating applying next year instead as I know it is slightly late now, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any truth in this. Thanks :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by meganjeffery2
Hey guys, I'm currently applying for the MSC PA course, I have just finished my undergrad at UWE in Psychology. Does anyone have any tips on writing my personal statement? The cut off for me to apply is 31st May and I know if I get an interview it will be over skype. I don't know if its a rumour but I have been told that you can only apply for the course once? I'm debating applying next year instead as I know it is slightly late now, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any truth in this. Thanks :smile:

Hey,

I was not aware that you can only apply once. Perhaps someone else who is on the course already could kindly shed some light?

I know you cannot defer, so if you apply this year, you cannot accept the offer and then defer to start next year - you must start this academic year. Perhaps this could be interpreted as not being able to apply more than once?

Tips for PS:
- Be reflective on your experiences
- Explore why you want to be a PA and what you’ll bring to the course and profession
- Be clear and conscise
- Focus on bigger points that you want get get across as you can explore and explain further at interview

If you look at the personal statement part of the website on UWE for the course it covers what you need to include in your PS 😊

Out of interest why do you want to delay it? What would you do in the next year that would put you in a better position for the course than now? E.g. financial, experience etc.

If they’re still accepting applications then you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage applying now even if it is late compared to other applications 😊

Got to make the right decision for you

Hopefully someone else can shed some light re only being able to apply once

Good luck!
Original post by PA-RN23
Hey,

I was not aware that you can only apply once. Perhaps someone else who is on the course already could kindly shed some light?

I know you cannot defer, so if you apply this year, you cannot accept the offer and then defer to start next year - you must start this academic year. Perhaps this could be interpreted as not being able to apply more than once?

Tips for PS:
- Be reflective on your experiences
- Explore why you want to be a PA and what you’ll bring to the course and profession
- Be clear and conscise
- Focus on bigger points that you want get get across as you can explore and explain further at interview

If you look at the personal statement part of the website on UWE for the course it covers what you need to include in your PS 😊

Out of interest why do you want to delay it? What would you do in the next year that would put you in a better position for the course than now? E.g. financial, experience etc.

If they’re still accepting applications then you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage applying now even if it is late compared to other applications 😊

Got to make the right decision for you

Hopefully someone else can shed some light re only being able to apply once

Good luck!

Hey!
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed a few people at UWE to find out but I haven't had a reply as of yet. The reason I wanted to wait was due to COVID-19 many universities have suggested putting teaching online for the next academic year. And in my experience of online learning from the last semester, I find it extremely difficult to work at home. But, I know I will lack motivation if I take a year out, so I will be applying anyway, I have finally decided. Thanks for your help :smile:
Hey!
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed a few people at UWE to find out but I haven't had a reply as of yet. The reason I wanted to wait was due to COVID-19 many universities have suggested putting teaching online for the next academic year. And in my experience of online learning from the last semester, I find it extremely difficult to work at home. But, I know I will lack motivation if I take a year out, so I will be applying anyway, I have finally decided. Thanks for your help :smile:

Hey :smile: So I have looked at the Royal College of Physicians, and it says on their website that to be eligable to sit the national exam, you would have to complete 1400 clinical hours minimum (being flexible for COVID-19). So I question how much online we can really do. I guess we sit tight and see what the uni's approach is re COVID and course delivery? Also PA-RN23 I am going to reply to your PM this evening, it's my busy season atm so have been useless at replying.
Megan, feel free to PM if you want help with your personal statement, though I am in agreement with the advice given previously. I'm sure you'll be great and best of luck with your application! You will be great!
Hey :smile: So I have looked at the Royal College of Physicians, and it says on their website that to be eligable to sit the national exam, you would have to complete 1400 clinical hours minimum (being flexible for COVID-19). So I question how much online we can really do. I guess we sit tight and see what the uni's approach is re COVID and course delivery? Also PA-RN23 I am going to reply to your PM this evening, it's my busy season atm so have been useless at replying.
Megan, feel free to PM if you want help with your personal statement, though I am in agreement with the advice given previously. I'm sure you'll be great and best of luck with your application! You will be great!

You can apply more than once if you’re unsuccessful the first time, but it has to be for the next academic year.

Also it’s not too late to apply as long as you submit your application by 31st May - someone on my course at UWE applied last month, had his interview last week and got in, so you will still be considered.

You can also do deferred entry, I know it says you can’t, unless it has been changed for this year, but I have heard of someone who did deferred entry last year, you can always email and double check with the programme leader if you’re successful for the course.

As for PS, I agree with the other poster (I forgot everyone’s names as I’m typing this through the app so it dosen’t show previous posts, my apologies) make sure you show why you want to do the course and your understanding of the profession.

I hope this helps :smile:
Hey!

In terms of PA at UWE, UWE has turned our Exhibition Conference Centre in to a temporary hospital for COVID patients, and PA student will be using its facilities for training and possibly placements, and as a new cohort UWE is prioritising PA students and other master students over undergrads due to the important role of this profession, so it is likely that our course will go ahead as scheduled and face-to-face teaching will also continue, it may just be a case of splitting people into smaller groups. - though I heard this word of mouth, it is yet to be confirmed.
Hi! I also have an unconditional for UWE! I’m available if you like to chat :smile:
Original post by PA-RN23
Hey!

Just wondering if anyone else has been accepted or is thinking of applying for UWE MPAS course starting August 2020 (or any other year).

I have an unconditional offer which I deferred last year (initially given 2019/2020 entry) and currently trying to save.

Very little information/discussion out there for the UWE course so thought I'd reach out to others :smile:

Be great to hear from those interested

PA-RN 23 x

Hello! Yes, I’m starting on 24th August 2020. I feel so unprepared and overwhelmed, but excited at the same time.
Hey! I have received an unconditional offer for uwe to study the physician associate masters. Would be great to chat with anyone in the same situation :smile:

Hello! I’ve also had an offer to start in August 2020. Just wondering if you accepted the other and will be there? 😁
Hey folks, just to say that for the protection of all its users TSR doesn't allow advertising of group chats on other platforms.

:ta:
Reply 38
Hello everyone!
I will also be joining you all at UWE physician associate program starting this August 2020. I’m from the USA and definitely excited and anxious to start this journey. Hope to meet you all!
Hi everyone!

I am a current biomed student at UWE and I am due to start the PA course with you guys! Ask me anything, I might be able to help with a few queries regarding the PA course :smile:

You can also PM if you like!

Hi, how did it go and what kind of things should you prepare for? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending