The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

2nd year transfer to Exeter university accommodation (help!)

I have a bit of a dilemma, so any advice, go for it/suggestions welcome!
I am transferring to exeter university from another uni, directly to the second year in oct 08 (my course was awful at my last uni).
My problem is with accommodation (spelt it right for once!) I've spoken to the accomm office and they've said as I will be 'new' to Exeter; i don't really know the city to well and won't have a clue about how to find my way around the campus that they will consider me for halls. But i know technically halls are just for first years and i've just turned 20 and i'm not sure if halls would be right for me? but then again seeing as i don't know anyone it might be a good way to meet people (although they'll probably be a lot younger than me!)?.
I guess the other option is private renting/house share but I don't know anyone/ the area so i'm concerned that i'd end up a bit isolated in a house of people that I might not really get on with?!
Any suggestions on accommodation or the best way to get to know some second years?
Reply 1
i'd say go for halls. you'll only be one year ahead of everyone else there and half of them will probably have taken a gap year anyway. I think it really depends on your personal preferences. you will meet an awful lot of people in halls and it could end up working really well for you. i'd say go for halls... i know freshers week could be tedious a second time around but it means you get out there and get to see everything exeter has to offer...> they put a lot of effort into entertaining the fresh... in private accomodation you would have to suss this all out yourself.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry about the age factor as most people will be 19ish :smile:
Reply 3
yeah theres lots of people who will have had gap years who will be 19/20. Its the easiest way to get to know people as well.
Reply 4
To do the uni experience properly, you have to live in halls, in my opinion. My first year was amazing! Got no work done, just spent the whole time having fun, which of course is what you're meant to do hehe!

I'm going back to halls next year and I'll be 22 so I don't think you'll have much to worry about on the age front there :wink:
Reply 5
I would have to say halls as well - as a newcomer you may want to feel 'looked after' and halls (whether catered or self-catered) should be able to provide this (socially and to an extent pastorally).
leopardspots
I have a bit of a dilemma, so any advice, go for it/suggestions welcome!
I am transferring to exeter university from another uni, directly to the second year in oct 08 (my course was awful at my last uni).
My problem is with accommodation (spelt it right for once!) I've spoken to the accomm office and they've said as I will be 'new' to Exeter; i don't really know the city to well and won't have a clue about how to find my way around the campus that they will consider me for halls. But i know technically halls are just for first years and i've just turned 20 and i'm not sure if halls would be right for me? but then again seeing as i don't know anyone it might be a good way to meet people (although they'll probably be a lot younger than me!)?.
I guess the other option is private renting/house share but I don't know anyone/ the area so i'm concerned that i'd end up a bit isolated in a house of people that I might not really get on with?!
Any suggestions on accommodation or the best way to get to know some second years?

They won't all be freshers... some will be finalists who want to live in again i imagine.
Reply 7
halls :yep: as everyone else has said, age won't matter and it will make life so much easier :grin:
Reply 8
yep..as everyone else has said go for halls!! 20 is not that old believe me id say most people are 19, 20 in first year!! and as you dont know anyone it'll be an easy way to adjust to a new uni!
Reply 9
Well, not 'most people', but certainly a sizeable minority...it's definitely not unusual.
Age thing is definately not a problem at 20. I lived in lafrowda and the woman in the room next to me was 38. My closest flatmates who i'm living with this year were 19/20 when they started their courses and another of my flatmates who i get on well with was in the same situation as you op, she transfered to exeter straight into her second year.

definately not on your own!
Reply 11
I'll be going and i'm 19 :smile: I also know someone else who is starting and he's 19
Quite a few people [comparatively speaking considering I was in an accommodation hall with 40 people] had turned 20 by Christmas, so age definitely isn't a problem =]
Reply 13
Brilliant, thank you for all the advice and it's really good to hear that atleast someone else has transferred before and survived (i hope?)
Think halls was the winner. I've submitted my application (about 2 weeks ago) so i'll just have sit back and wait now I guess, fingers crossed...
Probably should work on getting to knowing Exeter a little better now, that and possibly improve my orienteering skills in time for october to find my way round campus.
Oh, if anyone has any other advise on how to slot into the second year in the SOBE (best modules?) and exeter generally, feel free to message me. That or anyone that has decided to offer guided tours, lol (wishfull thinking)
Reply 14
im sobe year 2 next year, what course are you doing?
Reply 15
leopardspots - feel free to check out my Exeter tour on this board, which will be useful if you can visit before term starts. Even if you don't have a chance to visit before term starts, it should still reveal some hidden gems :smile:
Reply 16
It'd be interesting to see whether the OP got in. I didn't get into the 2nd year due to "strong competition". ******s.
i'm sure you're probably no longer on student rooms, and have graduated several years ago, but please could you tell me how you transferred to Exeter after one year at another uni?x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending