The Student Room Group

applied for unis only close, now regretting it

so i didnt bother even checking the tables of leagues and only picked unis close to me bc my mom was panicking about how far id be, ive been predicted A* for all my qualifications alongside average gcse results with two As and I should be getting at least over 180 UCAS points, but I've stupidly applied for 5 unis that aren't the best at all with my top choice being essex, so I have no idea what to do rn, should I take a gap year? does it matter? can I transfer to a better one after the first year?
Original post by SparksyKai
so i didnt bother even checking the tables of leagues and only picked unis close to me bc my mom was panicking about how far id be, ive been predicted A* for all my qualifications alongside average gcse results with two As and I should be getting at least over 180 UCAS points, but I've stupidly applied for 5 unis that aren't the best at all with my top choice being essex, so I have no idea what to do rn, should I take a gap year? does it matter? can I transfer to a better one after the first year?

Rather than take a gap, one option would be to decline your current offers and use UCAS Extra.

Courses available in Extra might be a bit limited, but if you are rethinking how far away you want to be, it's a good option that might save you a year.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Rather than take a gap, one option would be to decline your current offers and use UCAS Extra.

Courses available in Extra might be a bit limited, but if you are rethinking how far away you want to be, it's a good option that might save you a year.
I took a look and because im mainly looking at cs there's no vacant courses other than a course in leciester, couldn't I just transfer on the first year?
I took a look and because im mainly looking at cs there's no vacant courses other than a course in leciester, couldn't I just transfer on the first year?

You could try, but there is no guarantee that it would be possible. Many unis don't accept 2nd year entry, or not for specific courses. In general, it's not a good idea to enrol on a course with the intention of transferring, (unless you'd be happy to complete at the first uni if a transfer isn;t possible). You'd be better off taking a gap year in most cases.

The Transfer FAQ explains the process if you are mulling it over.
There are many very good universities shown for CS including Exeter, Lancaster and Leeds if you are prepared to move further away. You can only apply to 1 university at a time and you have to give up all your offers. League tables are meaningless anyway. A transfer is unlikely. Most wont accept year 2 transfers.
HIya @SparksyKai !😊

Congratulations on your amazing grades.🤗
What degree did you applied to?
You don't need to differ or take a gap year, you should apply to the universities you want via Clearing which opens in the summer.
With clearing you call the universities you would like to apply, tell them your grades, the degree you want to apply and after the clearing period the universities will go back to you about if you got accepted.
Once you are confirmed as a student you will given accommodations to choose and you will start your academic journey in September.

I hope this helps and if you have nay questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep-Cat 🤩
Original post by EssexOfficialRep
HIya @SparksyKai !😊
Congratulations on your amazing grades.🤗
What degree did you applied to?
You don't need to differ or take a gap year, you should apply to the universities you want via Clearing which opens in the summer.
With clearing you call the universities you would like to apply, tell them your grades, the degree you want to apply and after the clearing period the universities will go back to you about if you got accepted.
Once you are confirmed as a student you will given accommodations to choose and you will start your academic journey in September.
I hope this helps and if you have nay questions don't hesitate in contacting me.
Essex Official Rep-Cat 🤩

Hi so this is a good idea to try, but be aware that going through clearing is a bit more risky. There's no guarantee you'd get the course and uni you want. So just be prepared to maybe take a gap year if you do decide to try through clearing in case you can't get a course you want.
Reply 7
Have you been to an open day or offer holders day at Essex to see if you like it? At a glance, the computer science course and credentials look OK - the course is accredited, it's very flexible, there is the option of a placement year. League tables aren't completely meaningless but if you read between the lines it is perfectly possible to go to a "lower ranked" uni and have a great time and come out with a decent job at the end of it. There is something to be said for being overqualified for your uni. Less stress. And if being close to home will save you money, that's also something to consider in the current economic climate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending