The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York v Exeter

My daughter is currently travelling and has to make a decision on whether to do marketing at York or Exeter without being able to visit.

Would love honest opinion on feedback on the courses and life in both cities.

Thank you in advance :-)
That is a shame as it would be better for her to get her own take on the two unis.When is she back.She has until May to decide.We visited both for son We loved York,lovely tutors and good pastoral care.York itself is historically and visually amazing and plenty to do.Not fond of Exeter not very diverse,didn't like the most expensive colleges on top of the hill,cheapest down the bottom vibe and disliked town ,too quiet but know plenty of people who love Exeter.Great sport amenities.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Thank you!

She isn't back until July! We should have been more organised but the offer from Exeter was an unexpected curve ball - I might try and visit myself.
Original post by JoJoR
Thank you!

She isn't back until July! We should have been more organised but the offer from Exeter was an unexpected curve ball - I might try and visit myself.

Actually I was thinking of suggesting that.Son had York as his insurance and ended up doing his Masters there so we have more working knowledge of York.My brother and daughter went to visit same unis as us the year before but we agreed not to discuss before visiting .All were agreed though upon conferring.:u:Exeter open days get very booked up so do it asap.Nice peaceful day out.
Original post by JoJoR
My daughter is currently travelling and has to make a decision on whether to do marketing at York or Exeter without being able to visit.

Would love honest opinion on feedback on the courses and life in both cities.

Thank you in advance :-)

Hi there!

It's great to hear that your daughter is considering studying at York!

I graduated from York last year after studying biology, so I can't offer much insight into the Marketing course we offer, however I can give a view into life at York in general. I personally loved studying at York - so much so that I've stayed on working at the Uni after graduating! Here are the main things I liked about York:
- The college system - this helped me settle into university life more quickly, as I felt part of a smaller community, within the larger university community.
- The campus - it's a lovely green space, that feels so safe and inclusive.
- The city itself - York is a vibrant city which always has something exciting going on! As it's quite a small, compact city, I found that I wasn't overwhelmed by it in my first year, which also helped me feel at home more quickly.
- The people - the University is so friendly, from staff in the catering outlets to those in your department, I don't think I had any bad interactions with anyone in my time at York. I also made some amazing friends who will be in my life for a long time.

I hope that gives you an insight into life at York - if you'd like to find out more about student life at York, I'd recommend checking out our YouTube channel @UoYstudentvlogs and our student blogs webpage, Student Voices too! In particular, you could check out the student societies and Why York playlists!

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:
Hi,
My daughter went to Exeter last year and York this year - shame she's not on here to give her feedback first hand but what I do know if that her Exeter personal tutor was absolutely useless (gave her wrong and bad advice) and her lecturers never replied to her e-mails when she was reaching out for help. She withdrew form Exeter and started @ York last year. There is a huge difference in support and York have smashed it. Town/city wise, Exeter is really easy to get to everywhere on foot (it has to be 'cos the bus service and taxis are useless) and it's a short train ride to Exmouth & it's lovely beach. You can walk to town from York uni but there is a fantastic bus service, even in the early hours after clubbing. Exeter had an accommodation shortage when she joined and we ended up paying for private halls which was very pricey whereas she got into her first choice on campus halls @ York. 2nd year housing is similar in terms of price & shortage but for either, early bird catches the worm :smile: .
Safety wise they are on a par. Daughter has found that the sporting groups @ York are much less cliquey. Hope that helps.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
My daughter went to Exeter last year and York this year - shame she's not on here to give her feedback first hand but what I do know if that her Exeter personal tutor was absolutely useless (gave her wrong and bad advice) and her lecturers never replied to her e-mails when she was reaching out for help. She withdrew form Exeter and started @ York last year. There is a huge difference in support and York have smashed it. Town/city wise, Exeter is really easy to get to everywhere on foot (it has to be 'cos the bus service and taxis are useless) and it's a short train ride to Exmouth & it's lovely beach. You can walk to town from York uni but there is a fantastic bus service, even in the early hours after clubbing. Exeter had an accommodation shortage when she joined and we ended up paying for private halls which was very pricey whereas she got into her first choice on campus halls @ York. 2nd year housing is similar in terms of price & shortage but for either, early bird catches the worm :smile: .
Safety wise they are on a par. Daughter has found that the sporting groups @ York are much less cliquey. Hope that helps.

Can I ask what course she did?
Reply 7
(Original post by AbsoluteGnome)Can I ask what course she did?

Hi, sent you a personal message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending