The Student Room Group

an inspector calls seven deadly sins

does anyone have any notes of how the seven deadly sins are linked to each of the characters? specifically gluttony and pride
Well, Im not doing this play for A-levels but at GCSE I said:
Mrs Birling -Pride she didn't want Eva to go around using her name,
Mr Birling greed- he is very obsessed with his wealth, always tries to show it off, is mortified that Gerlad took his money for Eva.
Gerald- Lust, he raped Eva when he was drunk, again because she was pretty
Sheila- Wrath and envy "In a way, you could say you were jealous", Her jealousy of Eva's looks led her to anger and she used this to sack Eva from her job.
Eric -Lust, he took advantage of Eva when she was in a vulnerable situation, simply because of the way she looked "pretty"
I couldn't think of one for Gluttony, sorry. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by witheredhope7
Mr Birling greed- he is very obsessed with his wealth, always tries to show it off, is mortified that Gerlad took his money for Eva.
Sheila- Wrath and envy "In a way, you could say you were jealous", Her jealousy of Eva's looks led her to anger and she used this to sack Eva from her job.
Eric -Lust, he took advantage of Eva when she was in a vulnerable situation, simply because of the way she looked "pretty"

thank you so much
Original post by witheredhope7

gluttony could also be Eric recuse of his excess in drinking?
Reply 4
Also wouldn't Mr Birling be shown to have gluttony, due to his drinking, the food and cigars he has in the first act of the play? Just wondering to help with my GCSEs
Original post by keirajp
Also wouldn't Mr Birling be shown to have gluttony, due to his drinking, the food and cigars he has in the first act of the play? Just wondering to help with my GCSEs

I would say that Mr Birling and Eric show gluttony,

Mr Birling via his stage diresction description: 'a heavy-looking, rather portentous man. ' (mostly through the description 'heavy-looking'

Eric because of his heavy drinking habits ' I was in that state when a chap easily turns nasty' (Shows he is familiar with drinking up to this point, and possibly that he's raped somebody before).
Small correction:Gerald took advantage of Eva because she was in a vulnerable situation, as can be seen in the palace bar when she got cornered by Aldermand Meggarty, he then took her to his friend's place, he did have an affair but he never was drunk, he used her for fun, got rid of her once he heard that his friend was returning.Eric raped Eva because he was in the
Reply 7
Yes this is a good point thanks I might use this
Reply 8
Original post by H2trxpz
Yes this is a good point thanks I might use this

the inspector could be pride as he thinks he can change people and he thinks his ways are right, eric could be sloth as he steels instead of working for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending