The Student Room Group

Does your hymen fall out after breaking?

Hi everyone, I have a question.
My boyfriend let his penis meet my vagina for the first time, I stopped him a while after, because the pain was unbearable. I've heard that the first time can be painful, so I'm not worried.

The next morning however, a kind of "skin" from the inside of my vagina came out mixed with a tiny bit of my own ***. Is this my hymen that broke and was discarded?

Sorry for the "tmi", I just want to have an answer🙈
Reply 1
I believe that the whole thing about having an intact hymen until you have sex is a bit of a myth and if you do feel pain it is because the muscles are very tight and you're too anxious to relax. I have no idea what the bit of 'skin' was but you need to work on getting well lubricated (naturally or otherwise) and relaxing to enjoy it - easier said than done.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
I believe that the whole thing about having an intact hymen until you have sex is a bit of a myth and if you do feel pain it is because the muscles are very tight and you're too anxious to relax. I have no idea what the bit of 'skin' was but you need to work on getting well lubricated (naturally or otherwise) and relaxing to enjoy it - easier said than done.

Thank you, I have a trauma connected to having sex or being penetrated and I was pretty sure the pain was connected to that.
Until that piece of skin, that's why I wondered if it was something else. But thanks you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I have a trauma connected to having sex or being penetrated and I was pretty sure the pain was connected to that.
Until that piece of skin, that's why I wondered if it was something else. But thanks you :smile:

It probably was a part of your hymen - can't think of anything else it might be!
Reply 4
My boyfriend let his penis meet my vagina for the first time, I stopped him a while after, because the pain was unbearable. I've heard that the first time can be painful, so I'm not worried.

The next morning however, a kind of "skin" from the inside of my vagina came out mixed with a tiny bit of my own ***. Is this my hymen that broke and was discarded?

Your hymen doesn't 'break' because it's incomplete to start with, to allow the passage of menstrual blood. It's basically a circle of skin that is stretched during sex.
Original post by Surnia
Your hymen doesn't 'break' because it's incomplete to start with, to allow the passage of menstrual blood. It's basically a circle of skin that is stretched during sex.

Its more of a ring than a circle and it definitely can tear (I.e. "break") during sex
Reply 6
Its more of a ring than a circle and it definitely can tear (I.e. "break") during sex

A circle is a ring, and people seem to think it's an intact membrane that is split during sex. Tearing round the edges of something already 'open' isn't breaking.
Original post by Surnia
A circle is a ring, and people seem to think it's an intact membrane that is split during sex. Tearing round the edges of something already 'open' isn't breaking.

A circle and a ring are not the same thing but that is irrelevant to OP's question. A part of the hymen can be torn off during sex and is likely what OP saw.

Did you find out if this is normal or not? Was sex still painful after the skin fell out? This is happening to me rn and I'm PANICKING

The next morning however, a kind of

Quick Reply

Latest