The Student Room Group

Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award: Badge or Brooch?

Hi All,

I have finally completed my gold Duke of Edinburgh award! It's now time to choose whether I'd like the gold brooch or gold badge. Does anyone have any opinions and advice on which one I should get?
Firstly, congratulations on completing Gold!

I'd seriously recommend the brooch over the badge. It's much nicer! The badge is a little lapel pin similar to the ones you get at Bronze and Silver. I guess it depends on whether you want the flashier one or some you could actually wear on a suit/jacket.

I'll find an image of them both side by side and you'll see what I mean :smile:

EFyG5kBXUAAN8l4.png
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CTLeafez
Firstly, congratulations on completing Gold!

I'd seriously recommend the brooch over the badge. It's much nicer! The badge is a little lapel pin similar to the ones you get at Bronze and Silver. I guess it depends on whether you want the flashier one or some you could actually wear on a suit/jacket.

I'll find an image of them both side by side and you'll see what I mean :smile:

EFyG5kBXUAAN8l4.png

AH this makes my decision tricky. The brooch makes it seem more special, yet the badge completes the bronze and silver set... Tough decision!
Original post by Nitrosomonas
AH this makes my decision tricky. The brooch makes it seem more special, yet the badge completes the bronze and silver set... Tough decision!

Just buy the lapel pin off Ebay, not sure if you'll find the brooch as easily. :')

I did Bronze and Silver via Cadets but sorta hated it so never did Gold... The upper age limit for Gold is 25 so I'm sorta tempted to do it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CTLeafez
Just buy the lapel pin off Ebay, not sure if they'll find the brooch as easily. :')

I did Bronze and Silver via Cadets but sorta hated it so never did Gold... The upper age limit for Gold is 25 so I'm sorta tempted to do it.

Very good point!

It will be worthwhile I'm sure, especially when you're so close already to the full set!
Reply 5
Many years ago 😱, it was the ladies who were awarded the brooch ( I think they may have had the option of a pin, but I’m certain the guys couldn’t have the brooch.It was indeed a very nice piece of jewellery…I was quite young when I went up to the palace to meet Phil (for the second time 😄) …and came away absolutely gutted that it was cheapo tin and not gold at all…all that work, expense and dedication 😱😂😂😂. They could have given me a gold plated brooch ! 😧.However it was looked upon as rather special, and true to the old wives tale…it was in the day considered (while not the same as) as meritorious as another “A” Level. It got me into Teaching College and was a talkig point at the interview, especially as I’d worked with kids rather than complete the expedition.

Many congratulations, and whichever you chose you can look forward to people turning heads when they know you’ve succeeded.

I’ll be 66 next month, I and while I ceased putting it on a CV, once I was established teaching, it rauses a smile amongst my younger staff. Gx
(edited 2 years ago)
I would highly recommend getting the brooch over the badge, it is much nicer and more special.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending