The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Gangsta Boogie
Is it OK to not talk anything about your extra curricular actvities in the personal statement? I simply have no space left to talk even the least about my hobbies etc.

I think I have a good introduction and conclusion( for now), and i have spoken in more detail about 2 or 3 of my w/e, voluntary work and have just listed the rest of my w/e voluntary work.

how much w/e and Vol. did you have?? and if theres that much voluntary work hell yea
Reply 2
Send it to the PS forum - we are the masters of cutting the word count :cool:
Seriously though, it's not a major deal, but if you have stuff worth saying then I promise you I can get enough characters out of your statement (just from rewording stuff) to get at least a sentence or two.
so can i send my medicine ps to you to cut stuff, make it look snazzier etc?
I think ECs are a must...I was asked about them everywhere. I know UCL in particular likes candidates who can do stuff other than medicine...you spend so much of the week living and breathing it that you sort of need something else.
Reply 5
yupo :yep: , its perfectly fine not to include anything. well, thats what i did anyway and got 3 offers!!

i got asked about them at all my interviews though.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking, that if I don't mention anything about extracurriculars in my PS, then I will most definitely get asked about it at the interview( if i get one hopefully).
Reply 7
Most unis go through personal statements and score them according to whatever criteria they have.

To an extent you can guess the criteria, and almost certainly extracurriculars will be one of them. Some prospectus' give hints and advice as to what they're looking for.

Things like:
-demonstrates teamwork skills
-demonstrates leadership skills
-understands negatives of medicine
-understands responsibilites of medicine

etc.
Reply 8
Ask your referee to mention them in your reference? - especially if you do the ECs at school, your referee can say you're in sports teams and do other activities.
Reply 9
^Then they'll think the OP doesn't understand the importance of extracurricular activities themselves.

(and they may be right)
ooopss.. I forgot about that I can tell my referee to write it. BTW, what does OP stand for!?
Original poster.. noob
aaahh...i see teehee

Latest

Trending

Trending