The Student Room Group

What is the highest end uni i can get to with these grades

I want to study in the uk
I study, Maths, Business and Geo
Im predicting highest in a levels is A*AA with an A in math. Lowest AAB( i wont let this happen)
I think i may get an AAB or ABB minimum for As level although the business paper was iffy
For extra co-curricular i am
Part of the anti-bullying committee which got silver award and active member
Part of the e-safety committee
Finalist in under 15 taekwondo nationals
Basketball team captain
Part of the debate committee

There are a few more committees and stuff but these are my main highlights i wanted to add to ucas. Wasnt able to add a few sports due to covid.

Could i get into a russel group uni?

Scroll to see replies

Extra curriculars aren’t going to improve your chances of an offer. Your PS should be almost entirely about your academic interests and activities. The stuff you’ve listed would be better suited to your reference.

You need to explain what degree you want to apply to.
Original post by jijijjijijiji
I want to study in the uk
I study, Maths, Business and Geo
Im predicting highest in a levels is A*AA with an A in math. Lowest AAB( i wont let this happen)
I think i may get an AAB or ABB minimum for As level although the business paper was iffy
For extra co-curricular i am
Part of the anti-bullying committee which got silver award and active member
Part of the e-safety committee
Finalist in under 15 taekwondo nationals
Basketball team captain
Part of the debate committee

There are a few more committees and stuff but these are my main highlights i wanted to add to ucas. Wasnt able to add a few sports due to covid.

Could i get into a russel group uni?

As a general rule A*AA would get you into most universities including RG ones. The very competitive RG universities like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham and St Andrews you might struggle with but you would have a chance.

In terms of applying you have 5 choices so i would be worth looking at universities which look for different grades.

Do not apply to more than 2 of the above and avoid more than 2 in London as the universities there are insanely competitive. This is due to numbers wanting to be in London (quite why I will never understand) rather than the fact they are better than provincial universities.

With A*AA you could look at the likes of Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, Manchester etc. With AAB you would have a good chance of getting into Cardiff, Liverpool, Sheffield and Lancaster.

Finally dont restrict yourself to RG universities. There are universities outside of the RG every bit as good as those in it. St Andrews, Bath and Lancaster being examples.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Extra curriculars aren’t going to improve your chances of an offer. Your PS should be almost entirely about your academic interests and activities. The stuff you’ve listed would be better suited to your reference.

I wanted to do accounting and finance, i thought The forum question already asked that
Reply 4
I like bath quite a bit, and i heard they are top 5 in finance degrees
Original post by swanseajack1
As a general rule A*AA would get you into most universities including RG ones. The very competitive RG universities like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham and St Andrews you might struggle with but you would have a chance.

In terms of applying you have 5 choices so i would be worth looking at universities which look for different grades.

Do not apply to more than 2 of the above and avoid more than 2 in London as the universities there are insanely competitive. This is due to numbers wanting to be in London (quite why I will never understand) rather than the fact they are better than provincial universities.

With A*AA you could look at the likes of Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, Manchester etc. With AAB you would have a good chance of getting into Cardiff, Liverpool, Sheffield and Lancaster.

Finally dont restrict yourself to RG universities. There are universities outside of the RG every bit as good as those in it. St Andrews, Bath and Lancaster being examples.

Given you like Bath have a look at Durham, Exeter and Lancaster as they are similar type places. It might be worth a gamble on Oxford or Cambridge as well.
Lancaster's entry requirements are ABB so you could get into it even with your lowest a levels. Although it is not in the russel group, it is just as prestigious as some of the universities in it.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

My school never told me that. Could you give a bit more of a detailed explanation with like examples please.🙏
Reply 8
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Lancaster's entry requirements are ABB so you could get into it even with your lowest a levels. Although it is not in the russel group, it is just as prestigious as some of the universities in it.

Original post by swanseajack1
Given you like Bath have a look at Durham, Exeter and Lancaster as they are similar type places. It might be worth a gamble on Oxford or Cambridge as well.

My dad really likes warwick and durham. So im thinking of those two. What do you think about leeds?
just a short one to say look at

Bath/ Warwick/Manchester/Leeds and Lanc
Reply 10
My school never told me that. Could you give a bit more of a detailed explanation with like examples please.🙏

One major difference between UK unis and unis in other places like the US is how they treat all those extra activities. Other unis will appreciate extra-curriculars which are what you listed. The sports, clubs, etc. However, unis here prefer supercurriculars which are activities that are still related to your academic interests. They're going to want to know how those activities taught you things that can be connected to your chosen course. They should reflect your passion and drive to learn about the course even beyond what is taught in school. Students here may take free online courses that introduce them to concepts in their chosen degree. They could read books by scholars in that field. Basically, any activity that shows you're truly willing to learn about the course.
So, for example i was in investment club and i am currently doing a mooc on finance, would that be more useful to my application than for example, my role in the anti bullying committee or being the captain of basketball.

Extra curricular = things in addition to your academic area of interest (E.g sports, prefect etc)

Super curricular = additional things that you have done to extend your knowledge in your academic area of interest (E.g. for accounting and finance it could be attending an accountancy course, qualifying as a bookkeeper, work experience in an accounts department, reading books related to accountancy and finance)

As well as doing super curricular activities, your personal statement should explain how they have taught you something new or led you to look into that part of the subject more or helped you to understand something better

I.e. your personal statement is not about “you” as a person but is demonstrable evidence that you love the subject and why you want to know more about it.
Dose this mean there is more weight on super curriculars than extra curriculars? In terms of uk universities would my personal statement lean towards super curriculars
Reply 14

Southampton is another really good option.
Dose this mean there is more weight on super curriculars than extra curriculars? In terms of uk universities would my personal statement lean towards super curriculars

Generally, yes

geneally, they are interested in whether you are going to be successful at the course. If you are applying for a course on chemical engineering then the fact that you are good at ballroom dancing is not relevant. Having work experience in a laboratory would be.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Generally, yes

geneally, they are interested in whether you are going to be successful at the course. If you are applying for a course on chemical engineering then the fact that you are good at ballroom dancing is not relevant. Having work experience in a laboratory would be.

Ok thank you. Im currently doing a mooc in finance and at first i was skeptical if it was worth it. But i will do it. To be honest i only have three super curriculars. I did work experience at an investment bank for two weeks and Im doing a mooc in finance and i was part of the investment club. Im a little lacking do you have any ideas?
Ok thank you. Im currently doing a mooc in finance and at first i was skeptical if it was worth it. But i will do it. To be honest i only have three super curriculars. I did work experience at an investment bank for two weeks and Im doing a mooc in finance and i was part of the investment club. Im a little lacking do you have any ideas?

3 is plenty.

your PS isn’t supposed to be a list, you’re supposed to write a few sentences about each experience, including details and reflection on your personal reactions to your experiences.
So, for example i was in investment club and i am currently doing a mooc on finance, would that be more useful to my application than for example, my role in the anti bullying committee or being the captain of basketball.

In your personal statement, you should write about the investment club and mooc if you can relate them to why you want to go to university. You should also write about the anti bullying committee and basketball, and you don't need to relate them to anything.

Reply 19
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
In your personal statement, you should write about the investment club and mooc if you can relate them to why you want to go to university. You should also write about the anti bullying committee and basketball, and you don't need to relate them to anything.

Hey Kao,

How leniant do you think Lancaster is with accounting and finance students needing ABB, but overall resulting in getting BBC? In addition to having internships with big 4 firms and other financial services and good community service/extra ciricculars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending