The Student Room Group

Got a question about learning to drive or the driving test? Ask a professional

I came across this forum when looking for something on Google. It amuses and alarms me sometimes when I see things written about the subject of taking lessons and the driving test. There is a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation surrounding this, so I thought I might help put a few things straight with a bit of professional advice. I've worked in road safety for over 35 years with loads of experience in driver training and testing, so if you want to know something.... go ahead and ask!
Reply 1
Original post by Don L Gates
It amuses and alarms me sometimes when I see things written about the subject of taking lessons and the driving test.

Such as?
I’ve had one lesson so far and I’m soooo nervous about driving when other cars are about! At the minute I’m at an empty bit of road with a round about each end which is great but I’m super scared to progress in my lessons and go on the road! Any advice?
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
Such as?

When people say things which I know from experience to be either untrue or exaggerated. Or in many cases they have misheard or misunderstood something and taken it completely out of context. The stories that get circulated then confuse and needlessly worry other people.
Reply 4
Original post by Fullofquestions2
I’ve had one lesson so far and I’m soooo nervous about driving when other cars are about! At the minute I’m at an empty bit of road with a round about each end which is great but I’m super scared to progress in my lessons and go on the road! Any advice?

It's natural to be nervous when you first start out as you will be concentrating so much on basic control that what's happening outside the car can seem a bit overwhelming at first. A good instructor will gradually introduce you to traffic as your confidence and ability increases and they shouldn't take you into situations until they are sure that you are ready. Make sure to give your instructor feedback so that they know how you feel.
Reply 5
Original post by Don L Gates
When people say things which I know from experience to be either untrue or exaggerated. Or in many cases they have misheard or misunderstood something and taken it completely out of context. The stories that get circulated then confuse and needlessly worry other people.

Okay, again, such as? Do you have an example?
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Okay, again, such as? Do you have an example?

Yes, there is a good example in another post on this forum where someone is complaining that his partner failed her test because she didn't 'look at her mirror fast enough', and he asks if examiners are 'timing eye and head movement'. This is a classic example of someone misunderstanding what they have heard.

The likely scenario in this situation is that the person taking the test began changing lanes, possibly cutting in front of another driver, and then only thought about checking mirrors after the damage was done. Therefore she would have been told that the serious fault was ‘late’ use of mirrors. This has nothing to do with the speed at which she moved her eyes or head!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending