The Student Room Group

Starting to drive - roundabouts

I’ve had my first lesson on the roads and I get so confused at roundabouts I never know if I can go or not cause I’m like okay their indicating left then I have to look at where they’d be going and by then it’s a new car and its round in circles and I get so confused. Can I go if the person is indicating and not go if they’re going straight?
Watch YouTube videos on roundabout and make notes and imagine yourself in a similar situation. This is what i do and it really helps. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymou5l
Watch YouTube videos on roundabout and make notes and imagine yourself in a similar situation. This is what i do and it really helps. Hope this helps!

I’ll give that a try! Thank you
Original post by Lauododns
I’ll give that a try! Thank you

DGN Driving School on YouTube has really helpful videos, you should check him out
Reply 4
You give way to the right.

Simple as that.
Reply 5
Original post by adam271
You give way to the right.

Simple as that.

I understand that but you can’t always go? So it isn’t that simple. Depending on which way someone indicates you can’t go
Reply 6
Original post by Lauododns
I understand that but you can’t always go? So it isn’t that simple. Depending on which way someone indicates you can’t go

It really is.
Priority has to be given to those already on the roundabout and your actions shouldn't result in causing another vehicle to brake but that's it.
It'll get easier with time. It's always scary at first but keep looking at people's indicators and their position on the road to see where they're going. It's something most people struggle with and probably the most difficult physical aspect of driving but with experience you soon learn how to read the road more efficiently.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by adam271
It really is.
Priority has to be given to those already on the roundabout and your actions shouldn't result in causing another vehicle to brake but that's it.

Yes it really IS that simple, you can enter the roundabout providing you do not cause another road user to change speed or direction. As this was your first lesson however, I'm very surprised that your instructor was taking you into roundabouts!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Roundabouts are tricky at first. It took me a while to build confidence on them too. The trick is to just look left to see if there is either any cars moving out of the right lane or coming around from by the right lane. A good measure I find is if the car coming around the roundabout isn't at the lane on your right then you should move out. Of course, keep an eye on their indicators too.

I found driving to be largely about confidence. As you gain confidence you become a more assertive driver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending