The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths help

Hi guys, short story, I am retaking GCSE Maths at college along with my A-levels and I will be taking the Higher tier paper. I took the higher tier in 2019 June and scraped a 4, having previously not sat this paper I was quite proud. However, I need at least a grade 6 (B) or higher. Anyone advice on how I can start and get the most out of these 4/5 months.
(edited 4 years ago)
I found that the only revision actually worth doing was a BUNCH of practice papers and questions. I’m sure you can find textbooks and practice workbooks on amazon if your college don’t have them. Also youtube videos are really helpful! Especially with concepts that are really complicated like vectors and surds :smile:
Original post by sixdifferentways
I found that the only revision actually worth doing was a BUNCH of practice papers and questions. I’m sure you can find textbooks and practice workbooks on amazon if your college don’t have them. Also youtube videos are really helpful! Especially with concepts that are really complicated like vectors and surds :smile:

Thanks, I agree past papers seem to be the one. I have all the revision guides even the grade 9 revision guide. I just needed to know where to start.
The trick with higher maths papers is you only really need about half of the marks to get a grade 7 alone, so if you focus on really nailing the first half of the paper with the easier questions, picking up marks later will only make your grade even higher. If you’re debating over what to study, go with the skills that will be tested earlier in the paper (ratio, tree diagrams, compound interest etc) and once you’ve really nailed those, move on to harder stuff
The trick with higher maths papers is you only really need about half of the marks to get a grade 7 alone, so if you focus on really nailing the first half of the paper with the easier questions, picking up marks later will only make your grade even higher. If you’re debating over what to study, go with the skills that will be tested earlier in the paper (ratio, tree diagrams, compound interest etc) and once you’ve really nailed those, move on to harder stuff

wow, that's a really good technique I didn't think of that. I have noticed for a long time now, like everyone, the questions tend to get harder as you get near the last questions. Thanks for this advice, I will definitely try this. So do you suggest I revise topics that are tested in the first half of the paper and topics that range from grade 4-7?
(edited 4 years ago)
Definitely!! That’s where you’re the most likely to get the bull of your marks. We used to have a crappy maths department at my school so I was getting 3s and sometimes scRaping 4s in year 10, but we got a new head of maths in year 11 who honestly turned it all around and I came out with an 8. The biggest way in which she helped us was this!!
Definitely!! That’s where you’re the most likely to get the bull of your marks. We used to have a crappy maths department at my school so I was getting 3s and sometimes scRaping 4s in year 10, but we got a new head of maths in year 11 who honestly turned it all around and I came out with an 8. The biggest way in which she helped us was this!!

wow 😮 from a 3 to an 8 I'll take your word for it, thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending