The Student Room Group

Self Studying

Hiya! I've been at a sixth form since september (studying bio, chem and physics) but recently dropped out, due to financial and mental health problems. However, I still want to go to uni, so have decided to self study French, English Literature and Maths at A level.

Maths, I have always found easy, and I know what I need to do to succeed in it.

French and English, however, I'm not as sure about. For my course (English Literature with French at Edinburgh), as long as I'm predicted ABB, i'm guaranteed an offer, due to being estranged from my parents.

How likely is it that I'll achieve these grades? Also, how would I get predicted grades if I'm not attending an actual sixth form? Finally, does anyone have any good resources/websites for French or English Lit?

Thanks!
~Lou (:
(edited 4 years ago)
bump
Original post by louisec.5069
Hiya! I've been at a sixth form since september (studying bio, chem and physics) but recently dropped out, due to financial and mental health problems. However, I still want to go to uni, so have decided to self study French, English Literature and Maths at A level.

Maths, I have always found easy, and I know what I need to do to succeed in it.

French and English, however, I'm not as sure about. For my course (English Literature with French at Edinburgh), as long as I'm predicted ABB, i'm guaranteed an offer, due to being estranged from my parents.

How likely is it that I'll achieve these grades? Also, how would I get predicted grades if I'm not attending an actual sixth form? Finally, does anyone have any good resources/websites for French or English Lit?

Thanks!
~Lou (:

don't you think if you were at a school it would be easier?
Original post by HumblyBumbly
don't you think if you were at a school it would be easier?

yeah probably, but the school atmosphere just doesn't work for me, plus I can't change my subjects this late in the year at a school.
Perhaps try to get hold of a French A-level or AS level textbook that will give you the basic vocab and topics that will be on the exam. English Literature, is slightly more difficult because each school chooses the texts study. May I ask what year of sixth form you would be in and what GSCE grades you got, particularly in French and English. The grades you achieve will slightly depend on the level of French and English that you already have in order to improve them. I'm not sure how you would get predicted grades, you may have to contact the sixth form you was attending to see how you would be assessed. Maybe get into contact the admissions office to see what they would recommend with testing of predicted grades.
Original post by MaryMorgan
Perhaps try to get hold of a French A-level or AS level textbook that will give you the basic vocab and topics that will be on the exam. English Literature, is slightly more difficult because each school chooses the texts study. May I ask what year of sixth form you would be in and what GSCE grades you got, particularly in French and English. The grades you achieve will slightly depend on the level of French and English that you already have in order to improve them. I'm not sure how you would get predicted grades, you may have to contact the sixth form you was attending to see how you would be assessed. Maybe get into contact the admissions office to see what they would recommend with testing of predicted grades.

hiya, thanks for the reply! yeah, i'm definitely gonna get a book for french, and my grade in french was a 7, but without the speaking as i missed it, and a 6 in eng lit (:

also that'd be smart, i'll give them an email now (:
(edited 4 years ago)
Great any more questions and I will try my best to help, I am student in year 12 so I can only help so far, experience and knowledge-wise, I'm just worried about how the english course will work.
Original post by MaryMorgan
Great any more questions and I will try my best to help, I am student in year 12 so I can only help so far, experience and knowledge-wise, I'm just worried about how the english course will work.

have emailed edinburgh and i should get a reply, will update when i do ((:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending