The Student Room Group

University copying up notes

Hello,

I always take rough notes during lectures and copy up in neat when I can, so they're nice and neat for when I go through them for revision.

However, I'm not sure if this is the most efficient thing to do as although I copy them up in neat, I rarely often go back over them and its kinda a waste of time.

Was wondering if anyone has any better ideas for progressively note taking information along so that its easier to revise for exams?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by AyyJeh
Hello,

I always take rough notes during lectures and copy up in neat when I can, so they're nice and neat for when I go through them for revision.

However, I'm not sure if this is the most efficient thing to do as although I copy them up in neat, I rarely often go back over them and its kinda a waste of time.

Was wondering if anyone has any better ideas for progressively note taking information along so that its easier to revise for exams?

Thanks!

Yeah, redoing lecture notes is a bit of a waste of time. What I do(this won't necessarily work for you) is once I have lecture notes, I write questions for myself on a separate word document about every part of the lecture notes. This means I am revising by making appropriate questions, and then when I need to revise I have an efficient way of revising. Answering questions about a topic and then finding the answer if I don't know it is much more efficient than just reading over the lecture notes so I find this method is much better.

The above method uses a technique called active recall. If you want to read about these techniques and make your own method try googling "active recall and spaced repetition". Ali Abdaal(a youtuber) has good videos on this.
Heyy,

I write notes by hand during a lecture and then type them onto a word doc or other software where I then save it in organised files online (One Drive, Google Drive, etc).

Make use of cloud saving tools, at uni you will be writing loads of notes (can vary depending on your course), so storing ur notes on a laptop (some people I know use ipads and other devices) is the most efficient method

It also means you can add information, text, pics, links to websites etc and make your revision more diverse

That said, everyone learns differently so test out different methods and see which one suites u the most

Hope this helps! I 😊
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending