The Student Room Group

University of Bristol - MS Datascience

I had applied to University of Bristol for MS in Data Science and have got an acceptance.

However the course is being offered for the first time by this University, but based on the professor researches I saw on csrankings.org it seemed like Machine Learning is well established in the university, even though the course(MS in Data Science) still looks unstructured.

I just wanted to know if it is a risk worth taking to opt for it based on the following criteria:

1. Job opportunities in Bristol and around(London)
2. Reputed departments of Computer Science and Mathematics
3. Brand name of the University of Bristol.
4. Established Machine Learning courses and researches/World class professors.
Reply 1
1. This should be obvious - data science is a hot topic. Not a lot will change in a year. It will still be heavily in demand both in Bristol and London. Bristol tends to focus more on engineering and London is more finance based but both will have a lot of data science roles.

2. Basically the same as part 4.

3. Brand name means nothing for the majority of companies. One or two may say "top university". Bristol is considered a good university so it won't be a problem for I'm guessing maybe 95% of jobs.

4. I think you are asking if the reputation of the professor leads to a better taught course. If that is the case, then no, it doesn't. You can have great research professors who don't know how to teach and vice versa. All you really need is to make sure the course is taught by people who know what they are talking about - and that usually means they have many years in industry and/or quite a few academic papers in well respected journals. You shouldn't worry about this, Bristol is a well known university so it is unlikely they will get any old numpty to teach you. If you mean whether reputation of professors influences your job prospect, well it has almost no significance to industry, unless the person is actually well known in the public which is extremely rare- like for example, say you did an apprenticeship with Prof. Brian Cox.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
1. This should be obvious - data science is a hot topic. Not a lot will change in a year. It will still be heavily in demand both in Bristol and London. Bristol tends to focus more on engineering and London is more finance based but both will have a lot of data science roles.

2. Basically the same as part 4.

3. Brand name means nothing for the majority of companies. One or two may say "top university". Bristol is considered a good university so it won't be a problem for I'm guessing maybe 95% of jobs.

4. I think you are asking if the reputation of the professor leads to a better taught course. If that is the case, then no, it doesn't. You can have great research professors who don't know how to teach and vice versa. All you really need is to make sure the course is taught by people who know what they are talking about - and that usually means they have many years in industry and/or quite a few academic papers in well respected journals. You shouldn't worry about this, Bristol is a well known university so it is unlikely they will get any old numpty to teach you. If you mean whether reputation of professors influences your job prospect, well it has almost no significance to industry, unless the person is actually well known in the public which is extremely rare- like for example, say you did an apprenticeship with Prof. Brian Cox.

Hello 0le,
Thank you very much for the information.
I also want to know how difficult it'll be for an International Student from outside the EU to land a job there. I'm aware that the PSW is slated to be reintroduced starting this year and would that help me land a job, after my graduation, in the UK?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by vishy721138
Hello 0le,
I also want to know how difficult it'll be for an International Student from outside the EU to land a job there. I'm aware that the PSW is slated to be reintroduced starting this year and would that help me land a job, after my graduation, in the UK?

I can only speak from experience and in my opinion it will be very difficult for non-EU individuals to get a job in the UK. Not impossible, but much more difficult. It is easier for citizens of the EU but this may change because of Brexit as well.

I would recommend having a look at the job market now, see what jobs you are thinking of doing and see what requirements they ask for. This can give you some indication.
Reply 4
Original post by 0le
I can only speak from experience and in my opinion it will be very difficult for non-EU individuals to get a job in the UK. Not impossible, but much more difficult. It is easier for citizens of the EU but this may change because of Brexit as well.

I would recommend having a look at the job market now, see what jobs you are thinking of doing and see what requirements they ask for. This can give you some indication.

Hello 0le,
Guys, don't do any conversion MSc in Data Science ,Cyber security or anything like that, it will not help you. All these courses are very poorly run. Course staff with literally zero experience in the field. All these courses are extremely general more academical that hands on.
You will be much better off gaining a commercial cert and build yourself nice Git repo, have a blog, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by GlutenEnthusiast
Guys, don't do any conversion MSc in Data Science ,Cyber security or anything like that, it will not help you. All these courses are very poorly run. Course staff with literally zero experience in the field. All these courses are extremely general more academical that hands on.
You will be much better off gaining a commercial cert and build yourself nice Git repo, have a blog, etc.

Thank you for the response. But please note that this is not a conversion course, but a direct MS in Data Science course.
Original post by vishy721138
Thank you for the response. But please note that this is not a conversion course, but a direct MS in Data Science course.

It is a conversion course, you can go there with a degree in Civil Engineering, possibly Accounting.

You are about to pay £11k for about £100 worth of Udemy credits. Only other difference is that the Udemy courses got thousands of positive reviews and are run explosively by people with lots of experience the field...

"Graduates from this MSc will be keenly sought after in roles such as lead data scientists or lead data engineers" this is just a lie. What a grotesque....
Reply 8
It is a conversion course, you can go there with a degree in Civil Engineering, possibly Accounting.

You are about to pay £11k for about £100 worth of Udemy credits. Only other difference is that the Udemy courses got thousands of positive reviews and are run explosively by people with lots of experience the field...

"Graduates from this MSc will be keenly sought after in roles such as lead data scientists or lead data engineers" this is just a lie. What a grotesque....

I take on board your point, not sure if I agree with it or not, but Udemy is generally the worst of the big three for MOOC in my opinion. Coursera and EdX are generally better I think. Ultimately we can probably agree it depends on the course instructors who teach those courses :smile:

Nope, certainly not a conversion course. Also, they had a similar course earlier, named MSc in Advanced Computing. I doubt if the faculty would be having zero experience in the field.
Hey Vishy,I also have recieved an offer from Bristol for masters in data science. If it's alright can , you please share your experience and how things turned out?
Reply 11
Hi, Raghav. I received an offer from Bristol for a master's in data science. If you went with your offer, can you please share your experience with the course structure and the Teaching Faculties?
Reply 12
Original post by Nixon4
Hi, Raghav. I received an offer from Bristol for a master's in data science. If you went with your offer, can you please share your experience with the course structure and the Teaching Faculties?

When did you apply?
I’m still on hold since February.
Reply 13
Original post by Nixon4

https://chat.whatsapp.com/FlQn2OeynXYDmy37tQZ2HS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending