The Student Room Group

Is it worth writing an appeal in response to a rejection?

I was recently rejected from Bristol uni for economics. It was my first choice and I'm sort of restricted in what universities I go to anyways, so I wanted to go for convenience reasons as well. I applied for econmics (their standard offer is A*AA), where I applied with my predicted grades (A*AB, B in maths). I was really hopeful for a contextual offer eventhough I didn't fit the immediate criteria, however I have a chronic condition (MS), and I was hoping they might be considerate of that to give me a contextual offer since other univerisites do. I saw that Bristol offers people the chance to write an appeal after the application status, is it worth me writing one in? I'm quite desperate to get into the uni, but I'm not sure if its worth me doing it or whether it would change anything
You can only appeal a decision if the university hasnt followed its rules. You cannot appeal for any other reason whether tat be because your grades are too low or the university feels they have better candidates.

In your case you dont meet the entry requirements and your key subject Mathematics is not of the required standard so you dont have any ground for appeal.

Contextual offers are based on social factors not illness. These include having been in care, a poor performing school or a post code where few go to university. If you dont meet these conditions you dont get a contextual offer. Even with a contextual offer they would likely require grade A in Maths.

What you have described is a mitigating factor and each university treats these differently and you cannot appeal against a decision. It might be worth a call to see whether they will accept your mitigating factor but I really doubt they will change their minds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending