The Student Room Group

Should I try LSE or not

In year 13 and recently decided i want to eventually go into investment banking or quant and ive got into UOB and UOS for math&cs/math, however im not sure these would be the best choices for career, im thinking of taking a gap year and applying to LSE mainly but also a couple targets and semi targets
predicted A*AA math,econ,compsci
grades: 88776654M2( contextual reason due to depression during year 11
i could take further maths a level during my gap year as I have done a huge amount of further maths AS content but i need further opinions.
Reply 1
Original post by amazinoo
In year 13 and recently decided i want to eventually go into investment banking or quant and ive got into UOB and UOS for math&cs/math, however im not sure these would be the best choices for career, im thinking of taking a gap year and applying to LSE mainly but also a couple targets and semi targets
predicted A*AA math,econ,compsci
grades: 88776654M2( contextual reason due to depression during year 11
i could take further maths a level during my gap year as I have done a huge amount of further maths AS content but i need further opinions.

for quant finance I think you need a masters minimum and usually a PhD in a quantitative subject so you will be fine with maths and cs/math at UOB etc as long as you get a 1st or 2:1

however if it is investment banking, the degree doesn't matter but the uni does (to some extent) so you would probably want to target LSE in a gap year with further maths if you want that

note that quant finance and investment banking are very different things
Reply 2
LSE don’t offer cs degrees.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
LSE don’t offer cs degrees.

I know i was gonna really choose econ or a joint math&dataSci degree
Reply 4
Original post by yzven
for quant finance I think you need a masters minimum and usually a PhD in a quantitative subject so you will be fine with maths and cs/math at UOB etc as long as you get a 1st or 2:1

however if it is investment banking, the degree doesn't matter but the uni does (to some extent) so you would probably want to target LSE in a gap year with further maths if you want that

note that quant finance and investment banking are very different things

I was aiming for a math degree so i could do a few years IB and then do a mfe or something similar to then jump in quant, but thank you for the response

How are you going to be able to a ps for different subjects. You are talking 3 or more different subject Maths/CS and Econ. Econ is LSEs flagship course and is very competitive. It wont look good if you want to go there and include CS and Maths as well as Econ. It will look like you dont know what you want.

Perhaps wait to see what you actually get at A-level? Plus, LSE really prefer further maths for Economics, so you should definitely pursue that.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
How are you going to be able to a ps for different subjects. You are talking 3 or more different subject Maths/CS and Econ. Econ is LSEs flagship course and is very competitive. It wont look good if you want to go there and include CS and Maths as well as Econ. It will look like you dont know what you want.

its just a thought im not going to actually apply to both, i havent decided if im even going to take a gap year, first i need to evaluate whether the risk is worth it then id have up until next january to really decide my final decision for my course
If you applied to Econ (or similar) at LSE with A*A*AA inc. FM then it would still be risky. So it just depends whether you want to spend a year to potentially be in a similar position. IE. would you be more satisfied having given it a go?

NB. ‘UOB’ could be several different unis.
Original post by Admit-One

So could UOS! 😁
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Admit-One
If you applied to Econ (or similar) at LSE with A*A*AA inc. FM then it would still be risky. So it just depends whether you want to spend a year to potentially be in a similar position. IE. would you be more satisfied having given it a go?

Your right UOB and UOS are meaningless.

UOB could be Bristol, Bath or Birmingham amongst others. UOS could be Southampton, Sheffield or Swansea amongst others.
Reply 11

not everyone who succeeds in an IB career has been to LSE.

LSE is not necessarily that great a Uni experience for a whole heap of reasons.

living in London is expensive, and not often not as glamorous as it might look.

there are numerous other Unis with an excellent reputation for Economics, Maths, CS - Bristol, Warwick, Bath, Manchester etc - and where you would have far higher chance of an offer

'depression' doesnt get you a contextual offer - going to a poor performing school might.

nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni this year - take a gap year, get a relevant/interesting job and do some careful thinking about what you really want to do - and why.

Reply 12
Original post by McGinger

not everyone who succeeds in an IB career has been to LSE.

LSE is not necessarily that great a Uni experience for a whole heap of reasons.

living in London is expensive, and not often not as glamorous as it might look.

there are numerous other Unis with an excellent reputation for Economics, Maths, CS - Bristol, Warwick, Bath, Manchester etc - and where you would have far higher chance of an offer

'depression' doesnt get you a contextual offer - going to a poor performing school might.

nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni this year - take a gap year, get a relevant/interesting job and do some careful thinking about what you really want to do - and why.

thats true but id rather increase my chances

i dont care about uni experience

id be living with my auntie so costs not an issue

lse still better reputed for the name over other semi targets for IB

its not contextual offer i meant for context behind my gcse results, im already eligble for contextual offer for uni

and this is a good opoint aswell to make sure i choose the right course

Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
Your right UOB and UOS are meaningless.

UOB could be Bristol, Bath or Birmingham amongst others. UOS could be Southampton, Sheffield or Swansea amongst others.

oh i completely forgot, i mean university of birmingham and university of sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending