The Student Room Group

When reversing a car, which direction do you turn?

Hey,
I have my Driving test soon and I have a question to ask. When I am reversing out of a parking bake, which way do I steer the car. So let’s say I want to reverse out and drive straight on on my right. So do I reverse out and then steer to the left will that take me to the right or do I steer left. Sorry if I sound confused...that’s because I am lol.
Also, any tips for the test. My weakness would meeting and judgement and also planning ahead. This is mostly because I lose focus sometimes but when I’m fully alert my driving is good.
Original post by Emmy_Girl
Hey,
I have my Driving test soon and I have a question to ask. When I am reversing out of a parking bake, which way do I steer the car. So let’s say I want to reverse out and drive straight on on my right. So do I reverse out and then steer to the left will that take me to the right or do I steer left. Sorry if I sound confused...that’s because I am lol.
Also, any tips for the test. My weakness would meeting and judgement and also planning ahead. This is mostly because I lose focus sometimes but when I’m fully alert my driving is good.

I always reverse into parking bays as it's easier to drive out.
Reply 2
Hey,

Contact your instructor and ask them.
Hey,

If you have to reverse out of a parking bay to go right then you have to steer left, as this will direct the back of the car left and by extension the front of the car towards the right.
Reply 4
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
If you have to reverse out of a parking bay to go right then you have to steer left, as this will direct the back of the car left and by extension the front of the car towards the right.

Thank you so much 😊
I'm honestly concerned that you have a driving test soon, and you're asking this kind of question......
Reply 6
Original post by julietlima3
I'm honestly concerned that you have a driving test soon, and you're asking this kind of question......

That's exactly what I was thinking. Yet still they turn up for test with no idea what they're doing. Some can't even start the car...

Indeed... If this question has to be asked they shouldn't be on the road.
Original post by Advisor
Some can't even start the car...

Blame the driving instructors for that one. Very few seem to inform students of the steering lock and how to disengage it. Plenty of stories out there of people not being able to start their car (even after their test) because they didn't know about the steering lock.
Original post by TheMcSame
Blame the driving instructors for that one. Very few seem to inform students of the steering lock and how to disengage it. Plenty of stories out there of people not being able to start their car (even after their test) because they didn't know about the steering lock.

First older car I got I didn't know about the lock, it wasn't on when I picked it up so it was only when I parked at my mates to show it off I couldn't start it again. I was a nuthair away from phoning the AA when it occurred to me to maybe look at the manual :redface:
Reply 9

I've done it many times successfully but just before my test I started worrying about small things like this which I couldn't remember, however, practically I am able to do it. I think I was just worried about doing it without my instructor, so I just wanted some assurance on whether what I was thinking was actually correct. Besides, I managed to pass first time with only two minors. Thanks for your concern though :smile:
Id say if theres cars on either side of u then reverse straight until your side mirrors have passed both cars and then slowly turn the steering wheel to the left whilst looking behind for any oncoming vehicles if its safe then you can turn more quicker. Good luck for your future driving you might need to practice this as it is a hard skill.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TheMcSame
Indeed... If this question has to be asked they shouldn't be on the road.

I don't think it is very unusual to have these sort of questions. People do tend to forget things especially when they're stressed over the test. I managed to pass first time with two minors so I think I did a pretty good job at being on the road. I am well aware of everything I need to know about driving and my instructor had taught me everything he needed to including the steering lock. I just realised this sounds a bit rude, I don't mean to be, I'm just clearing up why I asked this question despite having the test so soon :smile:
I think you're saying you don't know which way the car turns.
One way to think of it is to think "which way do I want the back of the car to turn" and steer that way.
Or "which way do I want the front of the car to turn" and steer the opposite way.
Whichever you register quicker.

You can try with both hands on the steering wheel to flare your left and right elbow outwards, and then choose left or right steering based on how you want the car to move, which is the same direction as you arm has rotated. If you want to go in the direction your left arm has rotated then steer left, if you want to go in the direction that your right arm has rotated then steer right. I just made it up, so I'm not sure if it'll be helpful, but seems handy to me.
Reply 13
Try to imagine a circle when thinking about the direction of the wheels and how they'll turn! Or more of a curve I suppose. So if you turn the wheel to the left i.e. the front wheels will turn left....It's quite hard to explain without drawing it lol, but
1) Put both of your hands out straight in front of you and imagine they're the wheels(have them both as if you're about to shake someone's hand with both hands lool).
2) Now turn them both to the left
3) Now imagine that circle/curve and with your hands in that position where they're pointed to the left, you should be able to follow 'the curve' with your hands backwards. That is how the car will turn when you're reversing backwards with the wheel pointing to the left. I.e. it will pull the whole car out backwards to the left. Don't forget to straight the wheel to drive forward once you've came to the spot you want.
Just always try visualise your hands as the wheels to get an understanding of how they work! :smile:
Reply 14
Something that always helped me when reversing is this:

1. Turn your torso completely around in your seat, facing out through the back window. One hand on the wheel is fine if you're reversing slowly. You can put the other hand on the back of the passenger seat headrest for more comfort.

2. Come off the clutch slowly, and as the car starts to move just turn the wheel naturally in the direction you want to go (as if the rear window was the dashboard, if you get what I mean). The back of the car will turn in the direction you turn the wheel.

Take a look at [this] picture to visualise it better.

Definitely practise this method, as it takes getting used to - once you've got it, it makes reversing so much simpler.

Good luck for your test!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending