The Student Room Group

Legal advice needed - Unsafe tenancy

I’m having issues with my housemates and one of them has left for two weeks, locking her door but her room contains the gas box which we need access to to top it up as well as the emergency shut off being in there. The doors are heavy so we wouldn’t be able to break them down in case of an emergency.

I spoke to the agency (who work as our landlord) and at first they said she wasn’t allowed to keep it locked but I have since been told that they need her permission to open the door, which she won’t give because of the issues we are having.

This means that my safety and the safety of my other housemate is at risk for the two weeks she is gone. Is this breaking the duty of care that the agency have to keep us safe? If so would I legally be allowed to terminate my contract over this?
Original post by Wondering-Writer
I’m having issues with my housemates and one of them has left for two weeks, locking her door but her room contains the gas box which we need access to to top it up as well as the emergency shut off being in there. The doors are heavy so we wouldn’t be able to break them down in case of an emergency.

I spoke to the agency (who work as our landlord) and at first they said she wasn’t allowed to keep it locked but I have since been told that they need her permission to open the door, which she won’t give because of the issues we are having.

This means that my safety and the safety of my other housemate is at risk for the two weeks she is gone. Is this breaking the duty of care that the agency have to keep us safe? If so would I legally be allowed to terminate my contract over this?

Contact shelter.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Be very surprised if the agency do not have a key.

Tbh you seem as though you are looking for an excuse to terminate.
Original post by Wondering-Writer

It's pretty obvious from a safety point of view that the gas shutoff valve must be accessible. The letting agents will have a key to the room, and you must insist that they unlock it, regardless of 'her permission'. I do not believe her permission is required in an emergency to gain entry to this room, and this is an emergency.

Failing this, kick the door in and ensure that she's the one who gets charged for dilapidations and damage. :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
It's pretty obvious from a safety point of view that the gas shutoff valve must be accessible. The letting agents will have a key to the room, and you must insist that they unlock it, regardless of 'her permission'. I do not believe her permission is required in an emergency to gain entry to this room, and this is an emergency.

Failing this, kick the door in and ensure that she's the one who gets charged for dilapidations and damage. :smile:

I doubt the fire service would have much problem breaking the door down.
Common sense says if you get a smell of gas you leave the windows open and vacate.
Original post by 999tigger
I doubt the fire service would have much problem breaking the door down.
Common sense says if you get a smell of gas you leave the windows open and vacate.

Elf and Safety mate. They might do a shoulder in barging it.
Elf and Safety mate. They might do a shoulder in barging it.

I was thinking axe. Mind you that could spark.
The other people would be environmental health.
Theres obviously some dispute going on in the house.
Perhaps the other person could have left they key with the neighbour or other housemate they trusted.
I was thinking axe. Mind you that could spark.
The other people would be environmental health.
Theres obviously some dispute going on in the house.
Perhaps the other person could have left they key with the neighbour or other housemate they trusted.

Yep. Sounds to me like she went flouncing off in a huff.
Yep. Sounds to me like she went flouncing off in a huff.

or the opposite. Not enough info.
Not enough info.

That doesn't stop me speculating. :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending