The Student Room Group

Private uni accommodation problem

I want to leave the accommodation I’m living at because despite the many times I’ve told them that my door doesn’t lock they did nothing to fix it. Is there a law or something that states I don’t have to pay the rest of my accommodation fees because technically a door that doesn’t lock is a breach of my privacy.
Original post by IrrelevantAsMwah
I want to leave the accommodation I’m living at because despite the many times I’ve told them that my door doesn’t lock they did nothing to fix it. Is there a law or something that states I don’t have to pay the rest of my accommodation fees because technically a door that doesn’t lock is a breach of my privacy.

@IrrelevantAsMwah

Depending on how the accommodation is classified, bedroom doors will not necessarily have locks on them. Landlords can actually get in trouble for providing bedroom locks if it changes the way the accommodation is classified.

A self contained flat should have a lock, but a rented room within a house should not have a bedroom lock.

If you have signed a contract, you are normally obligated to pay the rent for the duration of that contract unless you are able to find a replacement.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 6 months ago)
What if I can’t pay for it and no one can help me pay for it and they’re threatening to take me to court even though I’ve explain why I can’t pay for it?
What if I can’t pay for it and no one can help me pay for it and they’re threatening to take me to court even though I’ve explain why I can’t pay for it?

Then they might take legal action against you unless you make arrangements for a sensible repayment plan.

I thought you were wanting to leave because of the door, you didn't mention finances originally?
Original post by Admit-One
Then they might take legal action against you unless you make arrangements for a sensible repayment plan.

I thought you were wanting to leave because of the door, you didn't mention finances originally?

Yes that was a leading factor however I am also unable to pay and no one can help me. What should I do because I genuinely can’t pay?
Reply 5
So the reason you want to move is due to finances not the door, I would try explaining the situation to them and see if they can find someone else. If you push the door lock angle and they fix the lock what will you do?

Also what’s your plan after you leave the accommodation?

Hey there @IrrelevantAsMwah !

This will completely be down to how your tenancy agreement is worded. For example, most tenancy agreements state that a landlords commitment to you is to provide a safe living environment that poses no health risks to life or something along those lines. Technically going by that, although frustrating, your bedroom door not locking is not a health risk. All you can do in this situation is just keep complaining until they get so sick of it that they cave in and get it sorted. I sometimes find that any mention of leaving them a bad review or talking about your experience on social media, they'll suddenly feel more inclined to do something about it. You're absolutely right that it is a breach of your privacy, but legally if that isn't stated in your contract and you try to get out of it then a landlord is more than inclined to make you keep paying.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by hallamstudents

This will completely be down to how your tenancy agreement is worded. For example, most tenancy agreements state that a landlords commitment to you is to provide a safe living environment that poses no health risks to life or something along those lines. Technically going by that, although frustrating, your bedroom door not locking is not a health risk. All you can do in this situation is just keep complaining until they get so sick of it that they cave in and get it sorted. I sometimes find that any mention of leaving them a bad review or talking about your experience on social media, they'll suddenly feel more inclined to do something about it. You're absolutely right that it is a breach of your privacy, but legally if that isn't stated in your contract and you try to get out of it then a landlord is more than inclined to make you keep paying.

Hope this helped!

what if I don’t have the money to pay my rent and no one can help and they won’t take no for an answer and are still asking me to pay even though I can’t?

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your accommodation. As the other posters have noted, you have signed the tenancy agreement and do therefore need to pay your rent despite the circumstances. I would strongly advise not withholding your rent as this could lead to an escalation and potentially third party debt collection down the line. It entirely depends on how your tenancy agreement is worded as to where you stand, I'd suggest reading it and seeing if there is any reference to how long maintenance queries should take to be dealt with. It may also be worth checking if your accommodation abides by any code (e.g. ANUK) that may have guidelines on how long issues should take to be dealt with.

What I would suggest is keeping a log of any maintenance issues, including your door, so that you can show your accommodation that you have flagged this and that it has not been dealt with. It may also be worth speaking to your university's student housing support team (if they have one) to get advice.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

@IrrelevantAsMwah

Sorry to hear about the problems you are going through at the moment.

Have you spoken to anyone at your university about your financial difficulties e.g. your personal tutor, Student Union, student finance department?

Is there any financial support that might be available to you?

Hope things get better soon,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by hallamstudents

Hope this helped!

Will they be able to help with private accommodation though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending