The Student Room Group

Cheap 35mm film

I’m trying to get into film photography and am trying to find good online/instore shops which sell film for pretty cheap as film photography can already be expensive as it is and I just want a film to practise with a couple of times before using more expensive film
For B&W film - Fomapan is very cheap

For colour film - Kodak Color Plus 200 (although my usual online stores all seem to have sold out of individual rolls atm and are only selling bulk stock.)
Reply 2
Original post by itsallgravy
For B&W film - Fomapan is very cheap

For colour film - Kodak Color Plus 200 (although my usual online stores all seem to have sold out of individual rolls atm and are only selling bulk stock.)

thankyou i’ll look around for them. do u have any tips for film photography as I’m a complete beginner to photography and dont understand how to select the controls like aperture and shutter speed
Reply 3
Original post by Qwert007
thankyou i’ll look around for them. do u have any tips for film photography as I’m a complete beginner to photography and dont understand how to select the controls like aperture and shutter speed

Aperture controls how much light gets let in through the lens. A smaller number = a wider aperture = more light. A smaller number also results in a narrower depth of field, which is usually better for say portraits. Landscape and building shots would want a greater depth of field and so a larger aperture. This, of course, lets less light in.

Shutter speed also affects how much light gets to the film, as a faster shutter speed means less light gets through. It is measured in seconds, so 1/200 is a shorter shutter speed than 1/100. The slower your shutter speed, the more still you (and your subjects) need to be to get a clear image. If you decide you need a faster shutter speed you will need to change the aperture to compensate for the correct exposure and vice versa.

If your camera has a light meter built in, it should show you exposure information through the viewfinder. If it doesn't you may want to get one as it is much more difficult to get the right exposure.
(edited 4 years ago)

@Talon gives you a good answer to this.

Just out of interest, was there a specific reason why you've chosen film photography as a newbie to it, rather than gone down the digital route? Film has been obsolete for some time now, and whilst experienced photographers still use it for specific qualities or preferences (like medium-format) 35mm film is pretty antiquated now.

Is digital photography something you've considered?
Reply 5
Original post by Talon
Aperture controls how much light gets let in through the lens. A smaller number = a wider aperture = more light. A smaller number also results in a narrower depth of field, which is usually better for say portraits. Landscape and building shots would want a greater depth of field and so a larger aperture. This, of course, lets less light in.

Shutter speed also affects how much light gets to the film, as a faster shutter speed means less light gets through. It is measured in seconds, so 1/200 is a shorter shutter speed than 1/100. The slower your shutter speed, the more still you (and your subjects) need to be to get a clear image. If you decide you need a faster shutter speed you will need to change the aperture to compensate for the correct exposure and vice versa.

If your camera has a light meter built in, it should show you exposure information through the viewfinder. If it doesn't you may want to get one as it is much more difficult to get the right exposure.

Thankyou so much this was very helpful
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
@Talon gives you a good answer to this.

Just out of interest, was there a specific reason why you've chosen film photography as a newbie to it, rather than gone down the digital route? Film has been obsolete for some time now, and whilst experienced photographers still use it for specific qualities or preferences (like medium-format) 35mm film is pretty antiquated now.

Is digital photography something you've considered?

I’ve always been interested in film photography and I like that you of take your time whilst taking a picture instead of taking loads at a time... I also just like the idea of waiting to see what your picture turned out like
I’ve always been interested in film photography and I like that you of take your time whilst taking a picture instead of taking loads at a time... I also just like the idea of waiting to see what your picture turned out like

Fair enough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending