The Student Room Group

Feeling Anxious about future (final year uni student)

Currently in my final year of uni and doing a dissertation. I made a mistake doing it last minute but I have been progressing and managed to get to the half-way point. However, I am anxious that’ll get a bad mark because the plan was constructed less than a month ago and I started writing it very late. the critical analysis which I am still doing has been difficult. Any words of advice to help me calm down? I have about less than 2 weeks to finish but i’m worried about the time. I have already applied for an extension which was good but still… :frown:
Reply 1
HMU directly and I can hold your hand and offer suggestions as you progress mate. Otherwise hang in there and give it all your best...this is a very decisive task in your education path.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Currently in my final year of uni and doing a dissertation. I made a mistake doing it last minute but I have been progressing and managed to get to the half-way point. However, I am anxious that’ll get a bad mark because the plan was constructed less than a month ago and I started writing it very late. the critical analysis which I am still doing has been difficult. Any words of advice to help me calm down? I have about less than 2 weeks to finish but i’m worried about the time. I have already applied for an extension which was good but still… :frown:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. I am also in my final year and I'm in a panic about my dissertation. Do you have a supervisor that you can meet with to give you advice and support? I'm planning to spend 3 hours a day on my diss until it is done but I know that it's such a challenge with work etc

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hey!

I totally understand the stress you are going through right now, I have been there during my dissertation. But at the same time, it's great that you secured the extension. Even if you don't use it, it's important to keep yourself calm down. First and foremost, keeping yourself calm is the most important thing. Further, plan how are you going to complete your dissertation in the next couple of weeks. Break down your daily goals into very small manageable tasks, so that you can focus on the present and not be overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done. Identify the most critical aspects of your dissertation and focus on them first. Don't hesitate to seek help from your peers, professors, or university support services. They can provide valuable insights, guidance, or even just a listening ear. Be kind to yourself and believe in your ability to deliver a solid dissertation. All the Best!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hey! It's great that you're progressing with your dissertation, just remind yourself you've gotten half way through it already, you've totally got this! Writing a dissertation can be so daunting, I was so scared of doing mine and running out of time when I was a student, but you do get there in the end if you put your head down, commit to a certain amount of time each day on it. I'd also recommend booking in some sessions with an academic advisor at your uni, they would read my work and go through it for me, offering advice and feedback which helped calm me down and made me realise I was on the right track with it and it was achievable to get everything done.

Good luck!! I wish you all the best with it

Becky

Hi there,

Working on your dissertation can be stressful, especially with everything else you have to do on top of that in your final year. It's great that you've applied for the extension, as this will hopefully take some weight off of your shoulders, which is definitely beneficial right now.

I'd first recommend that you take a moment to take a breath, acknowledge how far you've come already, and then dive into creating a plan (if you haven't already).

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from peers, family, friends, and staff. This applies to mental, physical, emotional, and academic worries. These people are there to support you, and academic staff can also help you to devise a plan to finish in good time and to a high standard, hopefully easing some of the stress you are experiencing.

Best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment. I think there are quite alot of people who start and write their dissertations late, and while this isnt recommended by unis there are people who start them late. I think if you try to stick to your plan and work hard on getting it finished it should be okay.

I hope this helps

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Hey,

Hope you're doing well I am not sure if you have already submitted your dissertation by now or if you still have a few more days left before your deadline. But either way well done, you’re nearly there and you can do this!!

If you still have some time left, then here are some tips you might find useful:

When I was writing my dissertation, I was advised to treat each weekday like a 9-5 workday.

Consistency is key and treating it like a workday will bring structure and ensure you get things done and have a healthy balance. Although, I understand in your case time is of the essence so make sure to use all the time you have but make sure to have regular short breaks to clear your mind and refuel.

Prioritise Tasks: Write a to do list of the tasks you still need to complete in order of their importance. Tackling the most important tasks first even though they tend to be the hardest parts will alleviate some pressure.
Avoid Multitasking: Focus on one task at a time, even breaking them up into smaller tasks but focusing on one area helps then move onto the next section.
Reward System: Treat yourself when you reach a goal. It could be a small treat, a quick break, or whatever keeps you motivated. I am trying to incorporate this into my routine!
You're almost there! Your dedication and hard work will pay off and you will be so proud of yourself once it is completed!
Keep pushing, and let's make these final days left to complete it count!

Best of luck,
Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi,

I've seen that the replies have offered some great advice for you since you have posted about this worry and I just wanted to come on here and say that you're doing great, at the time you commented you were half way through and that's great, and it's important to see the positive here of course as other replies have told you.

It's been a week since you posted your concerns and I hope that you've got yourself on track and if you haven't that's okay too, see if there's anyone you can talk to either an academic or even the students in your class too!

I wish you the best of luck and remember not to be hard on yourself 🙂

Good luck,
Katie (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending