The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Panthalic
Out of interest, does going from PL and CL champions to 1 win in 7 make a crumble?

Considering its not the same season - not so much
Reply 1981
Sheffield United tomorrow. We may have the youngest side ever playing tomorrow according to Arsenal.com. Think the article mentioned the likes of Wilshere, Ramsey, Randall, Frimpong (younger than Wilshere), G Hoyte, Vela, Emmanuel-Thomas..

Arsenal.com
It is now normal for the Frenchman to send out youngsters in this competition however, against the Blades, Alex Song (21), Nicklas Bendtner (20), Johan Djourou (21) and Lukasz Fabianski (23) are likely to be the ‘old heads’.

I'm looking forward to it
Reply 1982
Panthalic
Out of interest, does going from PL and CL champions to 1 win in 7 make a crumble?

:teeth:
Reply 1983
I bet you lot are looking forward to your tenner a ticket against United in the Carling Cup?!

Chance to see the 'youngsters' I suppose .... even though some of them will be 19 or 20 .... what a fantastic youth system.
Ascient
Hey, I've just realised (I think) that it was you who sent me that reputation message, so thanks! :smile:

No problem especially as I forgot to make it pos, so it made no difference to your rep whatsoever

FM08
I bet you lot are looking forward to your tenner a ticket against United in the Carling Cup?!

Chance to see the 'youngsters' I suppose .... even though some of them will be 19 or 20 .... what a fantastic youth system.

Spot on, thanks. :yy:
Reply 1985
twas a joke

storing all these players when they could go ut on loan, not healthy for football, typical 'arsenal'!
Really? You must be immensely witty for me to have completely missed that. Congratulations on the remarkably apt avatar btw.

Nice edit, you've actually tried to argue your point for once. Still, I do struggle to understand how it would make our youth system better if we just sent them off for other clubs to do all the work training them. Care to elaborate?
Reply 1987
my avatar? ... thought I would represent something important to me.

yes i feel it would be beneficial to the developemnts of footballers to play out on loan when they are playing on a full pitch for 90 minutes unlike what they get in training. plus if people like Randall are any good that joker will be rotting in your reserves until he's like what 20ish I guess? Isn't he 19 now?

these top clubs are stacking and racking em, i don't think it's a good idea.
Reply 1988
look at Scott Sinclair ... now 19 and 20 in March!

he is now having a period of stagnation .... he's got the ability and at 17 could have gone real far but too many quick loan spells and a failure to break into Chelsea's squad has meant he has been left out in the cold. Now he's nearly 20 and he's still basically a Championship standard player at the moment.
FM08
yes i feel it would be beneficial to the developemnts of footballers to play out on loan when they are playing on a full pitch for 90 minutes unlike what they get in training. plus if people like Randall are any good that joker will be rotting in your reserves until he's like what 20ish I guess? Isn't he 19 now?

these top clubs are stacking and racking em, i don't think it's a good idea.

So it's not beneficial to them to them to be trained by some of the top coaches in the world, at top-class training facilities under the eye of probably the best manager for bringing through young talent? When it's felt a loan move would be the better option, they do go on loan. Of our current squad Bendtner did it, Song did it, Djourou did it, Randall did it, Simpson did it and I could go on. Can't see what your problem is tbh.

Didn't Sinclair play a few games at the tail end of last season? I expect he's probably trying his best to break into one of the best squads in the country, which is always going to be hard but is the dream of any young player. Should that chance be taken away from him to bolster the chances of Millwall or Doncaster?
David Bentley.

Stack and rack!!!!
Reply 1991
Panthalic
So it's not beneficial to them to them to be trained by some of the top coaches in the world, at top-class training facilities under the eye of probably the best manager for bringing through young talent? When it's felt a loan move would be the better option, they do go on loan. Of our current squad Bendtner did it, Song did it, Djourou did it, Randall did it, Simpson did it and I could go on. Can't see what your problem is tbh.

Didn't Sinclair play a few games at the tail end of last season? I expect he's probably trying his best to break into one of the best squads in the country, which is always going to be hard but is the dream of any young player. Should that chance be taken away from him to bolster the chances of Millwall or Doncaster?

you do realise that if the likes of Bendtner, Maumba, Song etc didn't go out on loan, do you think they would be at the standard they are at now? I don't think so.

Sinclair's career is stagnating at the moment. He did well at Argyle, then he pissed off to like 3 other loan deals in one year and was in and out and all over the place. Like I said he's 20 nearly and I'd guess he's still nowhere near Chelsea's first team. It would be wise for him to go out on loan and play regular football. You say world class this world calss that ... if it's so world class why can't Sinclair get a look in? The youth need first team football to learn their trade. Older pros can always come back in but they know how to play the game.

Look at Dan Gosling of Everton, former Argyle. Broke in at 16 at Argyle ... was getting a number of games and could play in 3 positions. He jumped ship too early, now Gosling is nearly 19 and he hasn't been playing first team, yes I know one or two sub but still, plus he is behind Rodwell who turned 17 recently I think. Like I said he will soon be 19, had he stayed at Argyle he would have slowly been a regular in the team and then if he jumped ship at 19, probably challenging in a Premiership first team.
Reply 1992
Withoutadoubt
David Bentley.

Stack and rack!!!!

exactly look at Bentley .... you say world calss this world class that ... i'd call it pub class to miss out on an England international! But that's what happens, I know he had off field issues but at the end of the day, I can't remember nack that far but I'm pretty sure he couldn't get it? He then moved on and a couple years later he has sealed a 17 million move to Spurs and an England international now

**** training, first team football is the way.
Yes because players who leave these lower league clubs at early ages don't get their chance and regardless of their ability they won't get a first team place and as a result they suffer and never go onto become the player that their early performances suggested they could go onto. I mean just look at Theo Walcott...:rolleyes:
Reply 1994
anyways my point still stands ... let us all see where people like Randall and Sinclair end up in a year to two time, that's if they don't go out on loan.
FM08
you do realise that if the likes of Bendtner, Maumba, Song etc didn't go out on loan, do you think they would be at the standard they are at now? I don't think so.

Look at the likes of Walcott and Fabregas, would they be at the standard they are now if they went on loan? I don't think so. I know which players I'd rather have in the team.

FM08
Sinclair's career is stagnating at the moment. He did well at Argyle, then he pissed off to like 3 other loan deals in one year and was in and out and all over the place. Like I said he's 20 nearly and I'd guess he's still nowhere near Chelsea's first team. It would be wise for him to go out on loan and play regular football.

You still haven't explained why going out on loan is better than staying at your club. He has the chance to play at one of the top clubs in the country and so his goal is to break into the Chelsea squad, not just play wherever he can find a game right now. He still a teenager for God's sake.

FM08
Look at Dan Gosling of Everton, former Argyle. Broke in at 16 at Argyle ... was getting a number of games and could play in 3 positions. He jumped ship too early, now Gosling is nearly 19 and he hasn't been playing first team, yes I know one or two sub but still, plus he is behind Rodwell who turned 17 recently I think. Like I said he will soon be 19, had he stayed at Argyle he would have slowly been a regular in the team and then if he jumped ship at 19, probably challenging in a Premiership first team.

Absolute conjecture. Besides, Gosling is just 18 and he's now challenging for a place in a top Premiership side, not a struggling Championship one. Wise career move.
Sandhu
:teeth:

noted
Reply 1997
Panthalic
Look at the likes of Walcott and Fabregas, would they be at the standard they are now if they went on loan? I don't think so. I know which players I'd rather have in the team.

You still haven't explained why going out on loan is better than staying at your club. He has the chance to play at one of the top clubs in the country and so his goal is to break into the Chelsea squad, not just play wherever he can find a game right now. He still a teenager for God's sake.

Absolute conjecture. Besides, Gosling is just 18 and he's now challenging for a place in a top Premiership side, not a struggling Championship one. Wise career move.

Nothing wrong with challenging at Chelsea, but he's not going to pip ahead of Joe Cole and co. Another thing look at Walcott he has been in and out for ages and now slowly starting to play more and more and getting better. Sinclair isn't even at the stage of featuring for Chelsea tbh, he's got a long long way to go and I've seen him play numerous times and he's not at the standard Walcott is right now. I think he is similar to Walcott though. Very few players will break through the top 4 youth system and be a prominent member of the first team because they will not receive the opportunities that they would do at other clubs. Do Liverpool have a current player in their team that broke through in the last few years? I can't think of one. They've sent alot out on loan though to League clubs, that's the way forward because there they will be getting the games and put into practice their abilities!It is better to go out on loan because the likeliehood of breaking into the big clubs teams are very difficult. Look at Guthrie, Stephen Warnock etc they coulnd't break in but now doing really well.

I guess Wenger felt Walcott and Fabregas were more suited to stay at Arsenal maybe because he thought they had a real chance of breaking in. It doesn't take a genius to work out that people like Randall probably won't come in anytime soon, so it's a bit pointless leaving him to rot in the reserves.
FM08
It doesn't take a genius to work out that people like Randall probably won't come in anytime soon, so it's a bit pointless leaving him to rot in the reserves.

You know he played in the Carling Cup last year and once we were out went on loan? When he came back he played for us in the PL against Sunderland and is set to play tomorrow as well. He's still developing and the club obviously feel he is better off staying with us for now.

Can't really comment on Liverpool's or Chelsea's youth system as I don't the details, but it's hardly our fault if they don't send players on loan or give them first-team action.
FM08
exactly look at Bentley .... you say world calss this world class that ... i'd call it pub class to miss out on an England international! But that's what happens, I know he had off field issues but at the end of the day, I can't remember nack that far but I'm pretty sure he couldn't get it? He then moved on and a couple years later he has sealed a 17 million move to Spurs and an England international now

**** training, first team football is the way.
He hasn't impressed internationally and is at a championship bound club. Seems self-centred and brought the club in cose to ten million quid. Stack and rack! It won't hurt Bentley. Who was loaned out twice, fyi.

Latest