The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
hahah I signed de-guzman on FM :blush:
And thence my fine song lyrics were lost forever... Ungrateful, cultureless scum!!
afc1886
Morning Robbie,

I agree, a completely unsung few games for Djourou imo. Wenger was so quick to drop him against Fulham for a very lethargic and un-kolo like Kolo Toure, who got turned by Zamora on the build up to their corner? I dont see why Kolo can't get a few more weeks of training under his belt and why Wenger wont give Djourou a chance - apart from some horrible one plays offside, the other drops back moments between the two, Gallas and Djourou looked fairly solid I think...

yeah i hope wenger dosn't do the same mistake as he did with senderos and drop djourou after good performances for someone who is off form
Sagna....Gallas....Silvestre....Clichy

Rosicky...Toure...Fabregras...Nasri

...............Van Persie Eduardo

this is the best team , if everyone is healthy
Adebayor lost cause now
Yeah but rosicky nor eduardo wont be fit for another couple months, if that

At least Bendtners improving, always rated him even when everyone was slagging him off start of last season
Reply 1185
Bear_Grylls
Yeah but rosicky nor eduardo wont be fit for another couple months, if that

At least Bendtners improving, always rated him even when everyone was slagging him off start of last season

I like him; he ensured we made it into the CL SF. :p: :biggrin:
Bear_Grylls

lol he was bobbling it around for fun last night. He was trying though
Reply 1187
About right for what a group stage CL should be. Should be good enough to beat Porto, Kyev and Fenerbache at home, just got to make sure we're on our game away and not slip up. I'd rather ours than Liverpools tbh
our away games truly sucks tbh

we never beat kiev away and fenerbache away should be tough. Porto are also a very good footballing team

we'll need to win our home games to make it comfortable
Reply 1189
I still reckon our group is still the most difficult apart from Liverpool's. All three away ties will be very difficult, especially Fenerbahce. :s:
it's a bitch of a group
I understand Fiszman has given a huge "**** off, you fat, disgusting ****!!" signal to Usmanov.

Good.
Overmars
I understand Fiszman has given a huge "**** off, you fat, disgusting ****!!" signal to Usmanov.

Good.

I understand he's also made known that we have loads of cash to spend and that if Wenger wanted 30m for a striker, it'd be made available.
EpsilonZero
I understand he's also made known that we have loads of cash to spend and that if Wenger wanted 30m for a striker, it'd be made available.

And that would be the "**** off" signal I was talking about. :p:
Interesting words from Danny Fiszman regarding Wenger's transfer kitty etc:

"If he [Wenger] said to us 'I want this guy and he's £30m, can I buy him?' then the answer is 'Yes', absolutely yes," Fiszman said. "We totally back him. It's his decision. I'm unfortunately not good enough to be a manager myself but I'd love to be. It [spending money] would be no problem, no problem at all. It's not our decision who he spends money on, nor will it ever be our decision.

"We're not absolutely not [giving up on challenging for trophies]. We want to win but Arsène believes in creating teams the way he does. There is this constant thing that the Emirates is bleeding the club. It's total crap. Look at our accounts you will see our net payments are £20m and the revenue increase from the new stadium is close to £50m. Explain to me how that stadium bleeds the club if it's producing an extra £30m a year.

"Our wage bill is very similar to Manchester United and substantially above Liverpool's – it's substantially below Chelsea's but that's expected. We pay good salaries and pay them probably more evenly so we have less of the extremes. There is an ethos of a team effort."

So if there is plenty money available for Wenger, it is hard to understand why he hasn't spent more of it. Everyone can see you need an experienced, (defensive) central midfielder and buying one would greatly improve your prospects in all competitions. Wenger is treating the money as if it is his own.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wenger-sets-own-spending-limits-912439.html
Reply 1195
If the wage bill is similar to United's and substantially higher than ours, then I don't really see why they couldn't give Flamoney what he wanted tbh. Would have saved a lot of hassle :colonhash:
Ronaldo VII

So if there is plenty money available for Wenger, it is hard to understand why he hasn't spent more of it. Everyone can see you need an experienced, (defensive) central midfielder and buying one would greatly improve your prospects in all competitions. Wenger is treating the money as if it is his own.

Ugh...there is contradicting evidence coming out from the Emirates every week. (How many times have I had to say that over the last year, I wonder). One minute Wenger/PHW/Fiszman hint that there is a lot of money available, the next minute they hint there isn't a lot. It is all to create an uncertainty. The fans aren't happy about it, but after a little thinking you can understand why the board are happy not disclosing information.

What do you expect Fiszman to say? "No, there is hardly any money available." - cue, shareholders and fans wavering in their support towards the club's self-sufficient policy and the knee-jerk takeover supporters will be gathering momentum.

It's no secret that Arsenal had been banking on selling the Highbury-flats at a faster rate and at higher prices than they have. The dip in the property market has properly ****ed the club over. Add to that the general financial woes of the credit crunch and the stadium is suddenly generating just enough to pay-back loans. A profit needs to be shown to keep Usmanov and Stan Kroenke away.

Actions speak louder than words.
Reply 1197
Fair enough.

I do think that if he asked for it, Wenger would be given the funds, however. I think the single most important factor in Arsenal not spending highly is Wenger's (admirable) ideologies. Whether/how much this overlaps with Wenger's stubbornness and selfishness (i.e. putting his reputation and legacy before the success of the club) I don't know.
Laevis
Fair enough.

I do think that if he asked for it, Wenger would be given the funds, however. I think the single most important factor in Arsenal not spending highly is Wenger's (admirable) ideologies. Whether/how much this overlaps with Wenger's stubbornness and selfishness (i.e. putting his reputation and legacy before the success of the club) I don't know.

Well the thing is -- I refuse to believe that Wenger is the true altruist he described himself to be just a few days ago. And I question Arsene's decision making on tactics all the time. BUT when considering the club's future, I will never question where Arsene's heart lies.** He clearly cares about the club a hell of a lot.

If he wants to spend, the board will give him money. Of course they will...he has earned that right. But Wenger is not just a normal manager. He takes a great interest in the club's long-term future and he has the board's complete backing. So much so that even David Dein was removed when he conflicted with Arsene's ideas w.r.t. takeover talk.

I'm not saying Arsene's untouchable. There are a lot of fans that are starting to grumble. Wenger does make some odd and silly decisions when it comes to team selection and tactics. But I just cannot believe that Arsene is being stubborn and selfish with what he is trying to achieve here. He is putting the club first.

I also refuse to believe that one of the most the most intelligent and educated manager the Premiership has ever seen will refuse to spend £30m on a quality, central midfielder just out of stubborn-ness. The question should be - is his ideology caused by the current circumstances or is his ideology a putting-into-practice of a strong, long-term philosophy that he has always had? I suspect it's a bit of both.

**Or something that sounds a little less gay...
Oh, and if any of you were wondering about the timing of Fiszman's comments...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/29/arsenal

Latest