The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Barça
Arsene Wenger really has attention for every detail, a player being fouled not taking a pen :s-smilie: What's the reasoning behind that?

I don't really know, but Overmars propounds that it could be a team spirit building thing :teeth:

Personally, I'd do the opposite. If I won the penalty, then I'd like to take it myself because I'm the one that earned it so I wouldn't feel like I've let others down quite so much if I missed. There'd be less pressure. If I was taking a penalty kick that someone else had won, then it'd be quite different.

That said, does matter who wins the thing, if you get a penalty you've got to score it tbh :yep:
Reply 1581
The German in the team should take the penalty.

End of tbh. :colondollar: :teeth:
Reply 1582
It's a shame Lehmann never took any of our penalties then...
Reply 1583
Maybe Nasri, as he shoots pretty well?
Wtf stop talking about the penalties tbf.

Van Persie is excellent at them tbh.
Reply 1585
Stephen Appiah? just rumours? is he any good? never heard of him before
MattG
Was really good in the World Cup for Ghana, no idea why Fenerbahce would release him!! Must be a problem.
Reply 1587
RobbieC
Wtf stop talking about the penalties tbf.

Van Persie is excellent at them tbh.

Yeah, but this is about when Van Persie is injured, which looks like quite soon.:frown:
stfu about penalties
Nasri and Fabregas can take great pens as could Rosicknote. Adebobblemayor seems cool enough but he should be down the list IMO
Reply 1590
Economist
Nasri and Fabregas can take great pens as could Rosicknote. Adebobblemayor seems cool enough but he should be down the list IMO

What makes you say that? He's only taken one penalty in his professional career?
Reply 1591
Sorry. :frown:
Barça
What makes you say that? He's only taken one penalty in his professional career?

His composure, his clean ball striking, his passing precision and accuracy
Reply 1593
Economist
His composure, his clean ball striking, his passing precision and accuracy

I see. But penalties can even distort the composure of the best, we shall see but I doubt he'd take penalties for Arsenal unless it's a shootout.
MattG

farhan
Was really good in the World Cup for Ghana, no idea why Fenerbahce would release him!! Must be a problem

Fantastic player (prior to his injury) as farhan says. Not sure how good he'll be when he returns to match fitness though. Basically Fener asked the player to give up his registration to the club while he was injured so they could sign another player. He refused (rightly) and is now in dispute with the club, which probably means he'll go on a free transfer after some legal obstacles.

Appiah is an absolute beast. One of the strongest players in the world. A good holding midfielder who likes to have the ball and loves to get forwards. For the NT Appiah orders around Essien and Muntari, so you know he's a mentally strong, decisive character. If he was fit he'd be the perfect replacement for Flamini, but it's a big if. Worth a punt on a pay as you play kind of deal. I hope Spurs go in for him tbh :shifty:
Klinsmannic
Fantastic player (prior to his injury) as farhan says. Not sure how good he'll be when he returns to match fitness though. Basically Fener asked the player to give up his registration to the club while he was injured so they could sign another player. He refused (rightly) and is now in dispute with the club, which probably means he'll go on a free transfer after some legal obstacles.

Appiah is an absolute beast. One of the strongest players in the world. A good holding midfielder who likes to have the ball and loves to get forwards. For the NT Appiah orders around Essien and Muntari, so you know he's a mentally strong, decisive character. If he was fit he'd be the perfect replacement for Flamini, but it's a big if. Worth a punt on a pay as you play kind of deal. I hope Spurs go in for him tbh :shifty:

:yep: Appiah is amazing. I remember him at Juve; then they signed viera. Not Juve's best decision. Then again neither was marcelo salas.
Complex Simplicity
:yep: Appiah is amazing. I remember him at Juve; then they signed viera. Not Juve's best decision. Then again neither was marcelo salas.

I don't think they needed Appiah tbh... they had Tachinardi, Conte, Emerson and Davids while Appiah was there so he was crowded out. Maybe Juve just bought him to stop everyone else having him, or maybe they thought he really was the next Davids, who knows? He's a great player in his own right, and I'd love to see him over here.

True about Salas, but Juve got around half their transfer fee back in the end which was a result, considering. Salas was/is a superb player but his time at Juve was plagued by injuries which was unfortunate as he was one of my favourite players while he was at Lazio. Great little player with immense power in his left foot. Kind of like a mini Van Persie with more pace and directness, and a little less flashiness. Random comparison, but I had to relate to Arsenal somehow :shifty:
Reply 1597
i would love appiah at arsenal football club.

i hope he can play in a 4-4-2 though because i think he plays his best football in a 4-3-3? i see him EVERYWHERE on the pitch, tackling, making things happen, the man is a machine.
Klinsmannic

You're one of the first people (whose opinion I rate) I've heard who has said Appiah would be a good signing. I'm not going to pretend like I've seen him play every game, but from the very few occasions I do remember watching him, he hasn't been that impressive.

But I guess it would be 'on a free', so what have you got to lose? Even if Wenger does rate him, I don't think he'll be after him on the "It will be negative for Denilson's development" excuse.
Seems to had a real rough time at Fena. I read the club diagnosed asthma when in fact it was blood clots following the surgery which is pretty serious.

You would hope he's reaching full fitness again now and if he's willing to accept a respectable wage there isnt much of a downside

Latest