The Student Room Group

any students at bath or durham HELP

please please please could you message me (ESPECIALLY modern language students) so I can ask a few questions about the unis. both my open days have been cancelled and I don't know where to firm :/. thanku in advance xx
I'm not at studying at either university but I've visited both more than once. From my experience, Durham is the more prestigious uni and its location is beautiful. It has a similar vibe to Oxford and Cambridge particularly with the Bailey colleges, but also has some more modern buildings on the Science site. Everything is in town so you don't need to catch a bus to get to the town centre.
Bath is a campus uni that is in it's own bubble about a mile from the city. To me it felt quite clinical and hospital-y but it did have some nice green spaces. The city itself is beautiful but you have to take a bus to get there (not far from campus at all tho). The campus has the first year accommodation on it plus all the lecture halls, libraries and a very impressive sports centre.
In my mind Durham has a slightly stronger reputation and location but both are very good courses.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not at studying at either university but I've visited both more than once. From my experience, Durham is the more prestigious uni and its location is beautiful. It has a similar vibe to Oxford and Cambridge particularly with the Bailey colleges, but also has some more modern buildings on the Science site. Everything is in town so you don't need to catch a bus to get to the town centre.
Bath is a campus uni that is in it's own bubble about a mile from the city. To me it felt quite clinical and hospital-y but it did have some nice green spaces. The city itself is beautiful but you have to take a bus to get there (not far from campus at all tho). The campus has the first year accommodation on it plus all the lecture halls, libraries and a very impressive sports centre.
In my mind Durham has a slightly stronger reputation and location but both are very good courses.

hello, thank you so much for your advice!! when you visited did you find out anything about the night life/social aspect of bath? durham seemed very lively but i wasnt so sure on bath?? x
Original post by pon1de2replay3
please please please could you message me (ESPECIALLY modern language students) so I can ask a few questions about the unis. both my open days have been cancelled and I don't know where to firm :/. thanku in advance xx

i applied to both and visited both.

To say that Durham is more prestigious than Bath is like saying Cambridge is more prestigious than Oxford, it's ridiculously petty.

Both are small cities with poor nightlife, close to big cities with great nightlife.

Durham is integrated into the city but there is lots and lots of hill-walking, whereas Bath is a cosy brutalist-but-nice campus on a mountain (ignore the fact that it's a hill, it's a mountain for all i care) on a near-vertical 10 minute bus ride next to the city.

Bath does placements so that's a massive plus
Original post by pon1de2replay3
hello, thank you so much for your advice!! when you visited did you find out anything about the night life/social aspect of bath? durham seemed very lively but i wasnt so sure on bath?? x

With Durham a lot of the social aspect is around colleges with their bars and societies, whilst at Bath my tour guide said in his first year he was able to go out almost every evening (mostly just Bath but sometimes went out to Bristol by train) but in second year he has a lot more work and only goes once or twice a week. Tbh I didn't really find out much about the nightclub but wherever you go it is what you make it.

Original post by A Rolling Stone
i applied to both and visited both.

To say that Durham is more prestigious than Bath is like saying Cambridge is more prestigious than Oxford, it's ridiculously petty.

Both are small cities with poor nightlife, close to big cities with great nightlife.

Durham is integrated into the city but there is lots and lots of hill-walking, whereas Bath is a cosy brutalist-but-nice campus on a mountain (ignore the fact that it's a hill, it's a mountain for all i care) on a near-vertical 10 minute bus ride next to the city.

Bath does placements so that's a massive plus

The reason I said that Durham is more prestigious is that whenever I've spoken to employers/teachers, they've almost always regarded Durham more highly (a few say 3rd after Oxbridge) whilst they tend not to know as much about Bath or regard it as highly. However the work placements are a really big advantage and it seems Bath graduates are very employable.
Original post by Anonymous
With Durham a lot of the social aspect is around colleges with their bars and societies, whilst at Bath my tour guide said in his first year he was able to go out almost every evening (mostly just Bath but sometimes went out to Bristol by train) but in second year he has a lot more work and only goes once or twice a week. Tbh I didn't really find out much about the nightclub but wherever you go it is what you make it.

The reason I said that Durham is more prestigious is that whenever I've spoken to employers/teachers, they've almost always regarded Durham more highly (a few say 3rd after Oxbridge) whilst they tend not to know as much about Bath or regard it as highly. However the work placements are a really big advantage and it seems Bath graduates are very employable.

yeah my only concern with bath was the social aspect but i suppose it really does depend on who you make friends with. thank u x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending