The Student Room Group

Student Finance England 3 years residency criteria

Hi, I need some advice for my student finance application. My plan is to start my undergraduate degree from this year September. I have applied for my student finance and sent all the required documents they asked for.
Sadly, they refused my application as I don’t meet the 3 year of residency criteria.
The first day of the academic year is 1st of September and I’ll meet that requirement on 9th of September. So basically I’m missing out 1 year of my academic life just because of those 8 days difference. The SLC has given me the option to appeal against it. But before I make the appeal I want to know if someone faced similar kind of situation before or if it’ll be appropriate to appeal as the difference is only 8 days and I don’t actually want to lose this one year of my academic life.
Thanks
Original post by Taskin1
Hi, I need some advice for my student finance application. My plan is to start my undergraduate degree from this year September. I have applied for my student finance and sent all the required documents they asked for.
Sadly, they refused my application as I don’t meet the 3 year of residency criteria.
The first day of the academic year is 1st of September and I’ll meet that requirement on 9th of September. So basically I’m missing out 1 year of my academic life just because of those 8 days difference. The SLC has given me the option to appeal against it. But before I make the appeal I want to know if someone faced similar kind of situation before or if it’ll be appropriate to appeal as the difference is only 8 days and I don’t actually want to lose this one year of my academic life.
Thanks

You dont meet the criteria.
You will need to look for evidence you were resident in the EU or UK before 1 Sept as that is the rule.
You can find detailed information on ukcisa.
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#ordinary-residence
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You dont meet the criteria.
You will need to look for evidence you were resident in the EU or UK before 1 Sept as that is the rule.
You can find detailed information on ukcisa.
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#ordinary-residence

Well I’m not talking about the fees status, I’m a home student.
secondly last year SLC said to my sister that they can re-consider the 3 years residency if the difference is by 7/8 days, I guess it should be same in my case as well
Original post by Taskin1
Well I’m not talking about the fees status, I’m a home student.
secondly last year SLC said to my sister that they can re-consider the 3 years residency if the difference is by 7/8 days, I guess it should be same in my case as well

Not if SFE decide otherwise. You already seem to know the answer so cant see the point in explaining the rules to you. Mind boggles as to what you think fee status is.
Reply 4
Original post by Taskin1
Thanks

May i ask the end decision on this? Weree you allowed despite those 8 days?
Reply 5
hi, they didn’t approve it first, I had to appeal against their decision and later got it approved.
Reply 6
Original post by Taskin1
hi, they didn’t approve it first, I had to appeal against their decision and later got it approved.

Thank you! Do you think I would be approved for 10 days instead of 8? And would you happen to know if the university approves home fees and student finance does not, will one pay home fees still, but one just won’t be eligible to utilise student finance?
Reply 7
Original post by Taskin1

Ooh I have a nosy question. Where were you 3 years before that course? Were you travelling somewhere nice? I’m thinking of applying for student finance too (if the course is eligible). I’m just worried if they consider trips abroad as a problem.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending