The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If he gets AAAA, he should reapply, if thats his dream, then thats a good enough reason.

Otherwise he'll always regret it
Reply 2
go to ucl.
if he's that desperate to go to oxford he isn't that bright as he should know that ucl is a perfectly good university to do physics at and to reapply would be a waste of time.
and if he IS that desperate and silly then he could apply for an msc/phd at oxford. sigh.
why are people obsessed with oxbridge? it's not the be all and end all.
Reply 3
It's probably worth pointing out the your standard Oxford offer will not exceed AAA - so it's not worth reapplying based solely on that one auxiliary grade, unless he's using it as a decider in the coin flipping sense. Other reasons, of course, come into the decision - which require further thought on behalf of your friend.

UCL is a very good uni.
i couldnt think of anything worse than spending 3 years + in the "oxbridge" environment. But then again, thats just me. If it's his dream he should re-apply, but ucl's a good uni and he'd be a bit of an idiot to turn his nose up at their offer
Reply 5
Does he know why he was rejected for Oxford initially. Based on the reason for that rejection I would decide whether a reapplication was worth it, as UCL is still an extremely respectable institution.
Reply 6
he should go to UCL.

the only reasonable argument otherwise would be that he wishes to take a gap year anyway, in which case, he might as well reapply. but make him aware that next year he could be refused to both. and he'll kick himself if that happens.
Reply 7
I say let him reapply and get rejected again. That'll be character building alright.
Reply 8
SusDev
I say let him reapply and get rejected again. That'll be character building alright.

Seconded.

Personally, I think he should go to UCL.
Go to UCL, it's an excellent university. There's no guarantee that he'll get into Oxford on the second shot - especially if you consider that, as his grades are very good, his interview was probably the reason for his failure to get in.
I agree, UCL is a fantastic uni. There's no point wasting a year doing some boring job just so you can go to Oxford IMO.
If he sure that Oxford is where he wants to go, and has made a sensible and considered comparison, I don't see anything wrong with his chosen route. UCL is of course an excellent university, however. It would depend upon why he wants to go to Oxford, in my opinion.
SusDev

The Oxford admissions process is inherently subjective. Many people are rejected the first time around, only to be accepted subsequently.
But he has no guarantee of getting a place! He could end up in the situation where he has lost his UCL place and failed to gain one at Oxford.
Milady de Winter
But he has no guarantee of getting a place! He could end up in the situation where he has lost his UCL place and failed to gain one at Oxford.

True. It's a tricky situation. UCL is an excellent university with excellent prospects. But if he dreams of the tutorial/collegiate system and general environment of Oxford then it would be a shame to not give it another shot. If he wants to go to Oxford merely for prestige/reputation, however, I would probably think that it wouldn't be worth it.
Reply 15
Go for postgrad.
*gets shot down in flames :p:*
mdhey89
Does he know why he was rejected for Oxford initially. Based on the reason for that rejection I would decide whether a reapplication was worth it, as UCL is still an extremely respectable institution.

At least as respectable as southampton, anyways.

;D brb off to buy a copy of 'The Sun'.
He is an idiot if he doesn't go to UCL, it is a very good uni.
Ad-Alta
Go for postgrad.
*gets shot down in flames :p:*

Well, that's my rejection-influenced hope! :biggrin:
Reply 19
I think he should reapply to Oxford. UCL has a poor Physics department so it makes sense to try for somewhere better.

Latest

Trending

Trending