The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Is it Worth it to Wait and Apply to Oxford Next Year

I'm a final-year student and just got rejected from Cambridge. I'm currently re-evaluating my options for next year.

My supervisor has recommended that I apply next year to Oxford on a course they used to co-ordinate before moving to my university. My grades are on the weaker side, with a bit of a spotty transcript, although I meet the entry requirements. I am projected to graduate with either a 68 or a 69.

The reason I'm asking this is because I was hoping someone could tell me if my supervisor would have a significant impact on the success of my application. They are incredibly well-known in the field, and while emailing a potential supervisor at Durham, upon hearing who my supervisor was and looking over my CV also recommended I apply to Oxford as it would be much more suited to my research and career path, strangely enough. This is something I obviously can't email the admissions office about so I thought I would ask here instead as to what others might think or have any anecdotes that might help me consider my options.

Hoping for some insight since I have an offer from UCL and still interested to apply to Durham. So, I'm on the fence about waiting until applications open next year.
No don't do it. No guarantee you'll get an offer next year from Oxford, and no guarantee you'll get another offer as good as UCL either.

Take the UCL offer.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
No don't do it. No guarantee you'll get an offer next year from Oxford, and no guarantee you'll get another offer as good as UCL either.

Take the UCL offer.

To clarify a bit on this as well. I'm not 100% set on taking the UCL offer since the modules I applied to the course for are not being taught next year. Only found out after I got an offer. It's kind of a last resort at this point, and if the prospects seem at least decent next year, I would rather reapply next year. Even reapplying to UCL course would be better. However, if I receive an offer for Durham this year, I won't hesitate to take it.
i think the high status of your supervisor overshadows your grade, as long as it's high enough. i don't know though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending