The Student Room Group

2020-2021 Bartlett Architecture OFFER HOLDERS

Place for those with offers from The Bartlett to chat together.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Has anyone else chosen the Msci architecture course and if so why did you choose it and what do you think will make it different from the Bsc?
hi checking in here :badger:
Reply 3
Original post by JCIM
Has anyone else chosen the Msci architecture course and if so why did you choose it and what do you think will make it different from the Bsc?

I chose it cos it was a cheaper and quicker to becoming fully qualified. The director of the MSci course interviewed me and said that the course was just as creative as the bsc course and that there wasn't much difference apart from the extra module which we are required to do. if we aren't sure we can always exit the course after 3rd year and still get the bsc qualification I think ?
(edited 4 years ago)
hey,, does anyone have any ideas on what to do/where to stay for accommodation?
Reply 5
Original post by Pkoochu
I chose it cos it was a cheaper and quicker to becoming fully qualified. The director of the MSci course interviewed me and said that the course was just as creative as the bsc course and that there wasn't much difference apart from the extra module which we are required to do. if we aren't sure we can always exit the course after 3rd year and still get the bsc qualification I think ?

one big thing that's different between MSci and Bsc though is that you don't get to do units in MSci I think
Reply 6
also anyone here with a MEng offer? (Engineering and Architectural Design)
Reply 7
Original post by benchan
one big thing that's different between MSci and Bsc though is that you don't get to do units in MSci I think

wdym, do we not get groups later?
applied for both, only have Msci offer so far. Chose Msci because its quicker to get qualified
(edited 4 years ago)
any1 know if they are still doing interviews in the lockdown? I got acknowledged for my drawings in feb and emailed them asking for info on my application before lockdown and they replied saying they are still considering it. I feel they may just reject me as a they can't see more of my work :frown:
Original post by Pkoochu
wdym, do we not get groups later?

for the BSc I think second and third years get to do units, which are those group things. But I think for Msci you won't have the same experience and it's taught slightly differently, that's why one of my friends prefers the Bsc to the Msci, don't let this deter you though, Msci is still a good course and check up on what I just said because it's just word of mouth and I'm not 100% sure of the source :smile:
Original post by contentprovider
any1 know if they are still doing interviews in the lockdown? I got acknowledged for my drawings in feb and emailed them asking for info on my application before lockdown and they replied saying they are still considering it. I feel they may just reject me as a they can't see more of my work :frown:

I'm in the exact same situation as you. From what I understand, they're still working on interviews amidst the lockdown, so the best course of action for us is just to wait. Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by benchan
for the BSc I think second and third years get to do units, which are those group things. But I think for Msci you won't have the same experience and it's taught slightly differently, that's why one of my friends prefers the Bsc to the Msci, don't let this deter you though, Msci is still a good course and check up on what I just said because it's just word of mouth and I'm not 100% sure of the source :smile:

I'm not too worried, the most important thing to me is not to be restricted creatively. Sad, we dont get to work in units, but I'm sure we'll have some sort of group enviroment, really excited! that is if teacher grades pull through 🥺🙏
Original post by Rachaelllk
I'm in the exact same situation as you. From what I understand, they're still working on interviews amidst the lockdown, so the best course of action for us is just to wait. Good luck!

Good luck to you too!
Original post by contentprovider
Good luck to you too!

Original post by Rachaelllk

By any chance do you live in the south of UK? I read in another forum they were interviewing by region and thats why some of us hadnt heard for longer than otherss?
Hiya, I've now got all my replies from universities, and what with no exams happening, I'm a bit up in the air about what I want to put as my firm choice. I am struggling to choose between Bath and UCL; they're both brilliant but different universities, and there are very different aspects pulling me towards either.

With Bath, the university as a whole appealed to me, and I feel I would have the better "university experience" here, and it's also a brilliant uni. However, obviously the Bartlett is world-renowned, and the engineering qualification would certainly open many doors for me, especially considering the economic climate we have just been plunged into.

Could anyone explain to me how they went about choosing what their firm choice is? I'm clearly struggling lol :P
Original post by Pkoochu
I'm not too worried, the most important thing to me is not to be restricted creatively. Sad, we dont get to work in units, but I'm sure we'll have some sort of group enviroment, really excited! that is if teacher grades pull through 🥺🙏

Yeah either was Msci is a really cool course :smile: I would definitely go for it!
Original post by kenni024.303
Hiya, I've now got all my replies from universities, and what with no exams happening, I'm a bit up in the air about what I want to put as my firm choice. I am struggling to choose between Bath and UCL; they're both brilliant but different universities, and there are very different aspects pulling me towards either.

With Bath, the university as a whole appealed to me, and I feel I would have the better "university experience" here, and it's also a brilliant uni. However, obviously the Bartlett is world-renowned, and the engineering qualification would certainly open many doors for me, especially considering the economic climate we have just been plunged into.

Could anyone explain to me how they went about choosing what their firm choice is? I'm clearly struggling lol :P

Just wanna give my input to this :smile:.

From my point of view both universities teach architecture very differently. I think both Bath and UCL are world-renowned in terms of reputation (of course UCL is more), but Bath is still one of the top universities. Bath are a very technical university, shown by their entry requirements of physics and maths gcse grade 7s and maths a level requirement. They're very good at getting you a placement as well (I think when I went to their open day they said something like around 99% of students get a placement), which is obviously an integral part to becoming an architect. In short, they're very rigorous and excellent at getting you a job in Architecture and ensuring you're amongst some of the most numerate architects out there.

I've also got an offer for the MEng ahah. At UCL, the way architecture is taught is much different, it's much more experimental, with a greater focus on the creativity of the course, and they give you a lot of freedom to explore different areas and answer different questions artistically. Obviously with the MEng, it's more engineering focused so in that regard it is similar to Bath in that you'd be doing a lot of maths, but in a way it's more creative than the Bath course (at least that's my impression :smile:)

Of course you have to take into consideration that the MEng at UCL is 4 years and the BSc at Bath is 3. If your end goal is to become an architect, the MEng would of course take another year and you'd become chartered after 8 years so you have to take into consideration school fees and whether you want to be in education for that long. (of course you'd also be a chartered engineer and have another degree essentially but whether you want that or not depends on what your end goal is).

I also applied to both courses but unfortunately got rejected from Bath so :frown:, good luck on making your decision though! :smile:
Original post by benchan
Just wanna give my input to this :smile:.

From my point of view both universities teach architecture very differently. I think both Bath and UCL are world-renowned in terms of reputation (of course UCL is more), but Bath is still one of the top universities. Bath are a very technical university, shown by their entry requirements of physics and maths gcse grade 7s and maths a level requirement. They're very good at getting you a placement as well (I think when I went to their open day they said something like around 99% of students get a placement), which is obviously an integral part to becoming an architect. In short, they're very rigorous and excellent at getting you a job in Architecture and ensuring you're amongst some of the most numerate architects out there.

I've also got an offer for the MEng ahah. At UCL, the way architecture is taught is much different, it's much more experimental, with a greater focus on the creativity of the course, and they give you a lot of freedom to explore different areas and answer different questions artistically. Obviously with the MEng, it's more engineering focused so in that regard it is similar to Bath in that you'd be doing a lot of maths, but in a way it's more creative than the Bath course (at least that's my impression :smile:)

Of course you have to take into consideration that the MEng at UCL is 4 years and the BSc at Bath is 3. If your end goal is to become an architect, the MEng would of course take another year and you'd become chartered after 8 years so you have to take into consideration school fees and whether you want to be in education for that long. (of course you'd also be a chartered engineer and have another degree essentially but whether you want that or not depends on what your end goal is).

I also applied to both courses but unfortunately got rejected from Bath so :frown:, good luck on making your decision though! :smile:

Wow, this was really helpful thanks. I think I prefer the Bath course because of its significant incorporation of history, which I am very passionate and interested in (its pretty much how i found my way into architecture) so i think i have to really consider what I want from the course. Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by kenni024.303
Wow, this was really helpful thanks. I think I prefer the Bath course because of its significant incorporation of history, which I am very passionate and interested in (its pretty much how i found my way into architecture) so i think i have to really consider what I want from the course. Thanks so much :smile:

Not to contradict @benchan but just pointing out that both programmes are four years, and so while in theory you’d qualify a year earlier with the double-thin sandwich setup at Bath, it’s very unlikelily to be the case in reality (with the majority of architects taking longer to register than the oft quoted seven years).

They’re both excellent programmes at highly regarded universities; in some respects you can’t go wrong. If you can afford London, the additional accreditation in engineering and the fact that there are so many architectural things happening in London all the time may tip the balance in UCL’s favour. On the other hand, it’s a lot easier to study at Bath whenever everything is very close to hand and you’re not having to jump on the tube to different parts of London each day.

Good luck (and well done on the offers).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending