The Student Room Group

higher english

Hi,

hope someone can help me, don't know if this is unusual or not but just discovered that instead of me getting B in Higher English it appears that i have not completed all the national units, i know that i have, is it possible that my teacher hasn't submitted the language study as that seems to be missing

Scroll to see replies

Contact your teacher ASAP and tell her to get anything missing to the SQA
I hate English !!!
None of the Essays Questions came up for my poems, novel or play !!!
causing me and everyone else in my class too fail :biggrin:
how lucky !
I'm sorry but as you probably know by now I do not believe English is to do with luck.
Phone your school.
Are you sure you've done (and passed) all your NABs?
yipp :d the national units are all there ...
but I slightly disagree with meteorshower
many in my class where predicted B's including me and we all failed so I think somehow your luck with the essays is considerable towards your final grade:frown:
i think you would have different thoughts if you were in my position :frown:
i understand where you are coming from though :smile:
I'm not trying to insult you here, please don't take this the wrong way but if you've studied 3-4 texts properly there is pretty much no way you wont get at least 2 questions, even if you have to twist them a little bit. I've said this before the results and before the exam.

Anyway, you might yet get an appeal :smile:
Reply 7
sandrablondi
Hi,

hope someone can help me, don't know if this is unusual or not but just discovered that instead of me getting B in Higher English it appears that i have not completed all the national units, i know that i have, is it possible that my teacher hasn't submitted the language study as that seems to be missing

What are all the national units?
I got a no award for english but i don't know if its down to sheer failing or not all my nabs submitted :frown:
I have:
Literary Study
Language Study
Personal Study (written response)
Pixelled
What are all the national units?
I got a no award for english but i don't know if its down to sheer failing or not all my nabs submitted :frown:
I have:
Literary Study
Language Study
Personal Study (written response)

That's all the ones i have on my certificate too
Reply 9
Meteorshower
I'm not trying to insult you here, please don't take this the wrong way but if you've studied 3-4 texts properly there is pretty much no way you wont get at least 2 questions, even if you have to twist them a little bit. I've said this before the results and before the exam.

Anyway, you might yet get an appeal :smile:

You still need a good teacher. And it helps to be taught good, mainstream texts like Othello or The Great Gatsby - otherwise it makes it a lot harder and the questions will seem narrower.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I don't think I could have got an A if I didn't have a good teacher.
humannamuh
You still need a good teacher. And it helps to be taught good, mainstream texts like Othello or The Great Gatsby - otherwise it makes it a lot harder and the questions will seem narrower.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I don't think I could have got an A if I didn't have a good teacher.

I had a **** teacher :frown: You are right though about getting taught good texts. I can't really see many teachers not teaching at least 4 though :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Meteorshower
I had a **** teacher :frown: You are right though about getting taught good texts. I can't really see many teachers not teaching at least 4 though :s-smilie:

I agree I mean seriously, why would you go in with only 2 texts? Seems really foolish to me.
Reply 12
Meteorshower

we did the great gatsby, death of a salesman and briefly looked at a few poems (mainly as homework but we never did any essays on them) and that was it. The other sets in my year did one novel, one play and a poem or one novel and 2 plays (top set only). Despite the questions not being too good for the great gatsby (the perfect ones came up the year before) overall they were ok and i got an A. My teacher was **** too, she wasnt allowed ot teach higher english after our class because there were so many complaints.
FTC199
we did the great gatsby, death of a salesman and briefly looked at a few poems (mainly as homework but we never did any essays on them) and that was it. The other sets in my year did one novel, one play and a poem or one novel and 2 plays (top set only). Despite the questions not being too good for the great gatsby (the perfect ones came up the year before) overall they were ok and i got an A. My teacher was **** too, she wasnt allowed ot teach higher english after our class because there were so many complaints.

My teacher was lucky enough to probably have the best class so no-one seems to realise she was **** apart from us...

She told me the day we got our prelim results that i'd never get an A and should hope for a B at best. I got the highest A in the year :mad:
Reply 14
Meteorshower
My teacher was lucky enough to probably have the best class so no-one seems to realise she was **** apart from us...

She told me the day we got our prelim results that i'd never get an A and should hope for a B at best. I got the highest A in the year :mad:

nicely done!! yeh we apparently had 1 top set, a second top and the other 5 were meant to be mixed but they just did it on 4th year prelim marks as my friend and I were in the same set (we had the exact same prelim mark) and my other friend who got 1% higher was in the set above ours. On top of that, you couldnt have the same teacher as you had had for 3rd and 4th year. It was really obvious as well as the people who were really bad at english all had the same teacher. Everyone noticed our teacher was crap, god only knows how at least 4 of us got A's!
FTC199
nicely done!! yeh we apparently had 1 top set, a second top and the other 5 were meant to be mixed but they just did it on 4th year prelim marks as my friend and I were in the same set (we had the exact same prelim mark) and my other friend who got 1% higher was in the set above ours. On top of that, you couldnt have the same teacher as you had had for 3rd and 4th year. It was really obvious as well as the people who were really bad at english all had the same teacher. Everyone noticed our teacher was crap, god only knows how at least 4 of us got A's!

Only subject we have sets in is maths, and even then we just had the top set then everything else :yep:

For English sometimes when a teacher didn't like a pupil they just moved them down to Int 2 (most people got a N/A or a D in the prelim so they pretty much could do that) and we had one int 2 class where EVERYONE failed their prelim :O

My crappy English teacher didn't really give me high marks for anything though, i got 15 and 16 for most of my essays and it was only exams i have done well (prelim was cross marked) One person complained about her but the teacher found out who it was and yelled at her in front of the whole class :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Meteorshower
Only subject we have sets in is maths, and even then we just had the top set then everything else :yep:

For English sometimes when a teacher didn't like a pupil they just moved them down to Int 2 (most people got a N/A or a D in the prelim so they pretty much could do that) and we had one int 2 class where EVERYONE failed their prelim :O

My crappy English teacher didn't really give me high marks for anything though, i got 15 and 16 for most of my essays and it was only exams i have done well (prelim was cross marked) One person complained about her but the teacher found out who it was and yelled at her in front of the whole class :s-smilie:

we had about 4 essays for the entire year of higher, so glad i had a tutor and did at least one essay a week for them! we did int 2 in 4th year so everyone had to do higher in 5th year
FTC199
we had about 4 essays for the entire year of higher, so glad i had a tutor and did at least one essay a week for them! we did int 2 in 4th year so everyone had to do higher in 5th year

We had to do quite a lot of essays (she gave us notes and a plan though so everyone's turned out exactly the same everytime apart from the few that rebelled :biggrin:)

We had no close reading practice whatsoever though... near the exam we all got together and tried to desperately help each other learn English.

They really need to change the higher course in my opinion, it's one of the worst ones i'm aware of. It teaches how to analyse stuff, not how to write eloquently and use English well.
Reply 18
Meteorshower
We had to do quite a lot of essays (she gave us notes and a plan though so everyone's turned out exactly the same everytime apart from the few that rebelled :biggrin:)

We had no close reading practice whatsoever though... near the exam we all got together and tried to desperately help each other learn English.

They really need to change the higher course in my opinion, it's one of the worst ones i'm aware of. It teaches how to analyse stuff, not how to write eloquently and use English well.

our teacher just told us "mull things over" and "mug up" something

i have no idea how i coped with 4.5 hours of that every week!
What does mug up mean :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending