The Student Room Group

What coding language should I learn?

Hello. I am a year ten student, and because I seem to have a lot of time on my hands due to lockdown, I was considering learning a new coding language. I am reasonably proficient at Python but not at all ‘industry level’ good, if you know what I mean - for instance, I can create a class with instances and use methods but I don’t know much about decorators and I only really have a basic grasp of the key concepts of object oriented programming. I am able to break down commands and understand what each part means in most cases (except if it’s a really obscure technique).
I want to learn a language which will give me a better understanding of how programming is actually processed and broken down by computers, which should in turn help me to learn other languages in the future. I also want a language which could give me a head start for getting into the technology industry, especially in the field of software development. The language should be achievable for me but I do want to push myself.
If you’re aware of any languages that might be good to have a look at, please reply! I am aware that my requirements are a little picky so I don’t mind if they’re not all covered.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Eyeux
Hello. I am a year ten student, and because I seem to have a lot of time on my hands due to lockdown, I was considering learning a new coding language. I am reasonably proficient at Python but not at all ‘industry level’ good, if you know what I mean - for instance, I can create a class with instances and use methods but I don’t know much about decorators and I only really have a basic grasp of the key concepts of object oriented programming. I am able to break down commands and understand what each part means in most cases (except if it’s a really obscure technique).
I want to learn a language which will give me a better understanding of how programming is actually processed and broken down by computers, which should in turn help me to learn other languages in the future. I also want a language which could give me a head start for getting into the technology industry, especially in the field of software development. The language should be achievable for me but I do want to push myself.
If you’re aware of any languages that might be good to have a look at, please reply! I am aware that my requirements are a little picky so I don’t mind if they’re not all covered.
Thanks!

Why not just try to master Python to industry standard then? Python is a versatile and intuitive language with many applications.
https://www.educba.com/uses-of-python/
datacamp has some free online courses
(edited 4 years ago)
It’s supposed to be hard, but if you can already code well, you could try C++
Reply 3
Original post by mgi
Why not just try to master Python to industry standard then? Python is a versatile and intuitive language with many applications.
https://www.educba.com/uses-of-python/
datacamp has some free online courses

Thanks for the idea. Do you have any good coding courses for learning more advanced Python? I’ve completed the SoloLearn course but I would like to expand my knowledge more. I don’t really want to go through all the basics again though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Dancer2001
It’s supposed to be hard, but if you can already code well, you could try C

C seems like a really good, widely-used language. I’ll look at some tutorials, thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Eyeux
Thanks for the idea. Do you have any good coding courses for learning more advanced Python? I’ve completed the SoloLearn course but I would like to expand my knowledge more. I don’t really want to go through all the basics again though :smile:

Yes, i am currently half way through the Intermediate online DataCamp Python course. i am enjoying it,( but you may be required to pay for the course.)
There is always a lot you can learn. eg have you mastered Numpy and Pandas? Data science applications of Python
Aftterwards, i will practise doing some python projects then i will do an advanced Python course with DataCamp.
If you do this it will set you up with better chances of getting an interesting job in the future!
Reply 6
Original post by Eyeux
Thanks!

Python and PHP are good for website development. For iOS/mobile app development, learn Swift.
Hey, yeah as above python is a really great language. Try some of the free courses on Udemy for maybe some more advanced stuff (tho I'm not 100% sure on that haha, some are crap). SQL is great for data and can be learnt pretty quickly - I learnt it in 4 hours for my NEA and how to write it in python, and used it the next day haha. Then you can easily go down the data science route - some free options for this are on edX and MitX!

Else, I would recommend C++ also for a lang that will give you a better understanding of how coding works

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending