The Student Room Group

Does anyone know anything about doing an EPQ in game design?

I take history maths and physics at Alevel and have recently taken on an epq. I at first wanted to start a businesss for my epq but thought that this might be a bit too tricky. I have done barely any game design before (tiny bit of unity) but i have always been relativly interested in games design and generally computer science and am considering taking it at uni. I was wondering if it is silly of me to attempt to make an epq on making a game/learning how to make a game seeing as i have basically no backround in it and dont know any coding languages. I would most likely learn a coding language over the summer as I have learnt a little before but this would take a few months and im not sure i would have time to do the epq unless i made the epq something like " How accsessable is coding and games design to someone unexperienced?, any ideas?
Reply 1
Hmm...

I'm in a similar situation as you right now. Im considering to take an epq as well as my 4 A-levels and look into artificial intelligence and creating dynamic simulations. I already know python to A-level standard and reckon I could learn another language like c++ and java to OOP level as well in the 6 weeks.

My advice would probably be to know your own limits. Know what you realistically can and can't learn in the space of a couple years. If you're completely confident with your ability to get new concepts and are going to be willing to put the work in, go for it 100%. If you are passionate about game dev which I can tell you are then this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you feel like you're going to be making too many sacrifices then there are other alternatives that you could consider.
Reply 2
Original post by Mrdino32
Hmm...

I'm in a similar situation as you right now. Im considering to take an epq as well as my 4 A-levels and look into artificial intelligence and creating dynamic simulations. I already know python to A-level standard and reckon I could learn another language like c++ and java to OOP level as well in the 6 weeks.

My advice would probably be to know your own limits. Know what you realistically can and can't learn in the space of a couple years. If you're completely confident with your ability to get new concepts and are going to be willing to put the work in, go for it 100%. If you are passionate about game dev which I can tell you are then this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you feel like you're going to be making too many sacrifices then there are other alternatives that you could consider.

You've got time don't worry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending