The Student Room Group

Modern Languages at University

I am looking at studying either French or German or even both at university. If you are currently studying a language can you describe how it is and if you recommend it?
Hello!

I'm studying French and Chinese at uni and I'm loving it so far! I started Chinese on a Beginner's course so that has been really intense (just in case you are looking at doing a beginner's course- be warned! it is hard work!) but it has been a lot of fun.
I know this will depend on the uni, but the people and the lecturers on the course are really nice. I find that they seem to be a lot more friendly than other staff (I'm probably biased) but I think the fact that language classes tend to be reasonably small and involve quite a lot of discussion really helps you to feel comfortable with the other students and staff.
Another thing that I'm enjoying is the cultural aspect- it's more than just learning how to speak the language. Again, this will differ by uni, but there is a lot more opportunity to study history, literature, film, art, sociology etc. about the country/ies where your language is spoken. This is really interesting and also very useful as it makes your degree really valuable and flexible in terms of employment.
Overall- it is a lot of work, so if you want to do well, be prepared to work hard and go to lots of seminars! but I think it's a really fun and useful degree, especially if you're not entirely sure about your future, there's quite a bit of freedom with languages.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
that's amazing help, thank you! Are you having to choose whether to go to France or China for your study year abroad (or is it 6 months?)
For me I will have to spend my year abroad in a french speaking country, because French is my major subject, and Chinese is my minor, but the uni have said they will help people doing language minors to find placements in their holiday time if they want to do something for their minor too (but this won't count towards the degree, and isn't compulsory) But if you did a joint majors you would probably have to spend half and half in each language. As for the specific lengths of the year abroad and the requirements of where you spend this time, I would assume this varies depending on the uni. So for me, we have to spend 8 months as a year abroad (equivalent to an academic year). This means I will have to spend 8 months abroad in a French speaking country, and then I'll have 4 months of holiday that I could spend in China if I want. hope this makes sense? :smile:
Original post by MarthaH123
For me I will have to spend my year abroad in a french speaking country, because French is my major subject, and Chinese is my minor, but the uni have said they will help people doing language minors to find placements in their holiday time if they want to do something for their minor too (but this won't count towards the degree, and isn't compulsory) But if you did a joint majors you would probably have to spend half and half in each language. As for the specific lengths of the year abroad and the requirements of where you spend this time, I would assume this varies depending on the uni. So for me, we have to spend 8 months as a year abroad (equivalent to an academic year). This means I will have to spend 8 months abroad in a French speaking country, and then I'll have 4 months of holiday that I could spend in China if I want. hope this makes sense? :smile:

That’s interesting. So do you think you’ll go to China too? And for the year abroad, where will you work, or is it just studying? And is it just academic year, September to July or the whole year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending