The Student Room Group

How long do GHDs last?

Ive had my current pair of GHDs for about 2 years i think maybe about 2 and a half and im not sure if its them not heating up as well any more or if im just being lazy and not putting as much effort into straightening my hair but my hair just never seems to go straight any more. When i first got them i just had to go over it once in about 5 mins and it seemed to go really straight but now i go over and over it and its still not properly straight.

Does anyone know how long they generally last before they start going down hill?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
about 2 metres. :biggrin:

All electrical appliances wear out eventually. Depends on how much they are used.
i have had three sets of ghds already, each of them lasted me 2-3 years, with my first set one of the plates fell off, the wires and connections went in the second lot and i rang up the company and sent them back and got a new set for free, even though they were nearly 2 years old, it was a fault and i told them what had happened with the first lot so they sent me new ones...yay! x x
Reply 3
Same here-just over two yrs...interestingly this is when the guarantee runs out on them...
*jelly-tots*
i have had three sets of ghds already, each of them lasted me 2-3 years, with my first set one of the plates fell off, the wires and connections went in the second lot and i rang up the company and sent them back and got a new set for free, even though they were nearly 2 years old, it was a fault and i told them what had happened with the first lot so they sent me new ones...yay! x x

ah yeah in my first pair the wires inside kept disconnecting and they sent me new ones. I was well chuffed.
my current ones havent started to break in any particular way im just not sure they are as good as they used to be.
Mine have lasted somewhere between 6 months, to 3-4 years. My first pair blew up (mark one's) and then the other few pairs have lasted 2-4 years.

My last pair lost their heat shortly before they packed up completely.
Ilora-Danon

My last pair lost their heat shortly before they packed up completely.

hmm in that case manybe i should get a new pair just incase. if they did pack up completely i couldnt leave the house. :no:
Reply 7
My sisters pair has stoped heating up but I found this guy on ebay who repairs them realy cheap so we sent it off and she got it back within 3 days and was working perfectly so worth trying that before you buy new pair
Reply 8
Sometimes theyre ok about replacing ghds cause when my ones broke they replaced them and i didn't even have a reciept, u can always lie and say u havent had them that long, its worth a try just email them and ask them whether theyll replace them without a reciept
Reply 9
thats how my first pair met their end- just wasn't getting the heat/even heat from them anymore.
Reply 10
Mine are about two years old too and have stopped heating as well, or sometimes don't heat up at all. If they do heat up they'll only last so long, by the replies here seems thats about the average time they last. I'm still going to stick with GHD's when buying a new pair..which looks like it might be soonish.
I'm on my 3rd pair- the others have lasted about 2 years each, now I've said that these will start going soon!! I have friends who have had theirs for 5 years but they don't straighten their hair everyday like me.
Reply 12
if you use them every day they last 2 years. i think almost everyone has to replace them then.
when you store them don't wind the cord around them cos the wires will go really quickly that way..
I strighten my hair everyday sometime twice if it rains and mine have lasted 3 years but are starting to not heat up very well. I second that guy on ebay he fixed my mams with the same problem
My friend got hers for her 13th birthday, which was over 5 years ago, and they still work and she pretty much uses them everyday.
I've had mine for 7 months and there still going strong.. :biggrin:
Reply 15
My GHDs lasted 6 months and are still going strong. I really recommend a pair, they are really worth the money.
Reply 16
Addy88
My sisters pair has stoped heating up but I found this guy on ebay who repairs them realy cheap so we sent it off and she got it back within 3 days and was working perfectly so worth trying that before you buy new pair

I bought a brand new pair off a bloke on ebay and he also repairs broken ones too. Just wondering if its the same fella .
Reply 17
Maybe

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/neilandt/

that the one I used
Reply 18
Addy88
Maybe

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/neilandt/

that the one I used

Nope different man.
Reply 19
Sophie3
My GHDs lasted 6 months and are still going strong. I really recommend a pair, they are really worth the money.

If you spoiler that bunny I'll possitive rep you.

Quick Reply

Latest